Pardew – Fighting Spirit Will Be Key To Magpies

This season is the tightest season in the Premier League since we can remember.

Alan Pardew – determination and fighting spirit will be important

There are no easy games in the Premier League these days, and although that may be a cliche – the top clubs are finding they have to fight like crazy to beat the weaker teams in the division.

And at the bottom right now there are only 8 points separating the bottom 12 clubs in the league, so any one of those clubs could be relegated at the end of the season, and that includes Newcastle.

Newcastle are on 22 points which is 3 points above third bottom Fulham and 5 points above rock bottom West Ham, who we meet on Wednesday evening at St. Jame’s Park.

And new manager Alan Pardew says it’s going to be down to determination and fighting spirit that will get clubs to safety.

And of course the good thing about that is Newcastle have a squad of p[layers right now who give 100% every single game and can fight it out with the very best of them.

This is what Alan said today:

“I think it will be – at both ends of the table. It is so tight through that division.”

“You look at the teams and there is not a lot to choose between them all, and it is going to be that fighting spirit, that determination to get over the line and to get yourselves into a good position in the league which is going to be important.”

“We have got ourselves into a position in the league, but it has always been tentative to a degree, and the two big games we have had and lost have put us in a position where the other teams, if they won, would be in touching distance, which they have done.”

“But it’s a club that has the right to say that they have got a great chance to stay in the Premier League after being promoted because of what they have done in the first half of the season.”

We’ll need to see that fighting spirit and determination in full supply in the next couple of games, if  Newcastle are to stay above the relegation fray this season.

Two wins in the next two games will see the lads climb the Premier League big time, and that’s what we’ll be hoping for,  starting tomorrow at Wigan Athletic.

Howay The Lads!!

• Cockney Magpie

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I was hoping for a bit more action on the old rumour mill this morning!

• darthkir

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM

No, the key is the manager, which i believe pardew is not a good one…

• archaeomag

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM

The ‘key’ to our season will be our rivals loosing, which is not a positive.
    WBA just lost to Man U – great! But not the sort of season we want, or even expected a month ago.
    If we loose at Wigan & West Ham will will be hoping/praying that there three teams worse than us, and be rooting the big teams to beat our rival.

• jimiley

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

We have the same number of points now as the season we got relegated. I know we had a terrible run in but comparatively the situation is worse this time. Then, a couple of teams were detached. This time all the bottom teams are within 5 or 6 points of each other. The bottom team is nearly on a point a game. 35 points will not reach safety this year. I bet it will be the high 30s or maybe 40 points. We need to win in the next few games otherwise we are in a relegation fight every bit as serious as the last one. Pards is either going to make or break the club and I have my doubts. Would any of you have freely chosen him to save us in a relegation fight. Big daft Mike has.

• archaeomag

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:27 PM

The Macams are beating Blackburn 2-0, should we celebrate??
    . .It’s not a good . . . but could be ‘key’!!

• jimiley

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:29 PM

If we lose at Wigan and fail to beat Hammers we are in a relegation fight. End of. After the West ham game is the time to draw conclusions about the Pardew appointment, but it aint looking good is it fat Mike. Thats another fine mess you’ve got us in, Stan!!!! When will this man just …. off????

• Nolan96

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:36 PM

David Beckham? His crossing and Andy Carroll = goals 😀 Not as quick as Routledge but much better 🙂

• archaeomag

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:39 PM

@jimiley
    MA will only ** off if ALL the fans withdraw their support from NUFC – this will never happen.

It is as if he is holding your family hostage – and can do anything he likes!

• Spotlight Kid

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Jim, I can only agree with your frustrations. When Ed highlighted the upcoming 4 holiday games (of which we have 2 left) I could only see 1 point (at home v WHU) under Pardew. and said so. Usual howls of derision, but that’s the fact of the matter. We are still at core a Championship side and Hoots was performing miracles with that squad – a squad now shorn of its top scorer.

Hoots was denied the signings and the no2 he needed, and Ashley (as he did two seasons back) gambled Prem survival on another mediocre yes man. He’ll now go into denial mode, hiding away, hoping it will all work out, a toss of the coin says it won’t.

Then with eight games left and us drowning in the drop zone he’ll freak out and panic and replace Pardew with someone like Hodgson. All too late, all entirely unnecessary.

As you say, Jim, ‘when will this man …. off???’

Unbelievable, as ever.

• Shot Bru

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM

We should put in a bid for Samba to strengthen our central defence. Liverpool look like they’re in a relegation battle as well…maybe they should replace Hodgson with Allardyce 😉

• Daniel Abela (Malta)

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM

has anyone noticed that Robbie Keane is not on the spurs bench?

maybe on the verge of a move?

• toon95

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:55 PM

earlier someone said vela was close to a move here and on footballtransferrumours.com someone said he’s coming on loan any one else heard about this

• Spuggy

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:09 PM

This is the midfield and attack I want to see…

Arfa…….Barton…….Tiote………Kranjcar

………………Keane…………………………………
    ……………………………Carroll………………….

OR

Bentley……Barton……Tiote……Arfa

………………..Keane…………………………
    ……………………………Carroll……………

• Spuggy

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Then look for a replacement for a young replacement for Keane over the next season or two.

• Spuggy

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Tottenham paid £15 million for bentley, and he doesn’t even make the bench nowadays.

Bizzare. I’m sure he could re-ignite his career here, if he took a dip in wages.

• jimiley

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Our problems are all self inflicted so we can have no complaints. We have an owner intent on destroying the club. And we supporters have to just watch it happen. Its like the father raping the daughter and the rest of the family can do nothing about it. Heart achingly sad. The only way to get rid of MA is to stay away but we won’t will we? We are just committing a slow suicide and are too loyal to put an end to our own death. Even I am going to Wigan tomorrow. But we should let the lads play to en empty stadium and then the owner would have to sell. Short term pain for a massive gain. No Ashley.

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM

BATTY – if youre reading this fellas give me a shout.

Looks like Worky has finally gone mad, unfortunately for him – he is telling provable lies.

I think I sense Worky what he is doing, I need to bounce something off you.

Cheers

• hitman

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM

stardust,i see ive been draged into it by worky,,the mans on one massive ego trip,the way he went on with big dave is a total disgrace….

• GeordieToon89

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM

wher are these rumours about Carlos Vela a cant seem to find them anywher?

• Sav

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Fighting spirit – barely required against Liverpool, it made no difference whatsoever against ManCity and went awol against Spurs.
    It should be a prerequisite every game but it isn’t and we need to recognise we don’t have a monopoly on it and can’t call upon it at will.
    I’d rather see us relying on pace, talent, organisation and the confidence that comes from winning but until we have those, I guess we’ll have to kid ourselves along that we’re harder than the opposition.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Jim Smiley,

Boycotting for only a week or 2 would I am sure have caused an effect, but as you say people don’t see the bigger picture and will go and watch 11 dogs in black and white tops. They’ll bitch and moan about the state of the club, but they won’t do the one thing that would change it and that’s ”vote with their feet”.

The tragedy is that when pardew inevitably fails, we won’t then get an up and coming talent like Poyet, Lambert, Martinez, Holloway or Di Matteo, it’ll be the sick joke that is Joe Kinnear.

We are about a far away as playing the beautiful game as you could get right now.

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Aye Hitman – the man is an outright Liar.

I was howling when he said I was all those people and some are lapping it up – still think a few of my mates are behind it as they are mental and would do out for a laugh lol.

He is now stating I am trying to bring the blog down, I may do but inadvertently as its the last thing I want.

Toonsy is spot on he deserves the best.

How on earth he can say we are one and the same is beyond me – you hated me for years! (still do probably but we are on a truce anyway lol)

Anyway I wouldnt be surprised if he is looking to do a smash an grab with the cash he “raised” – and blame me for it? HE could leave and say I forced him into it, but I am aware, so are many others of the evidence at hand and are wise to it.

What I dont want to do is help him by pursuing him for libel or similar. He could then claim that he had to close the blog, we all know he has said he is in financial difficulty, but he may be wanting to have to go into Voluntary Bankruptcy – but I wont play his tune, I will bide my time and clear my name with the evidence and facts at hand.

He is as mad as a box of frogs isnt he lol!

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Hitman – Big Dave is a real decent sort, worky hunts him down at every chance for nothing.

He is now telling Dave I have been back editing blogs when Worky was slagging Dave – meaning I was taking all Workys nasty stuff out to make him look a better person!

Dave saw straight through it and he is now consumed with hate for me – he must have a miserable life to transfer his misery and hate onto me, its hilarious he is squirming and telling lies trying to get everyone onside.

Everyone can see he is not balanced – surely? 🙂

• hitman

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM

what gets me is he hasnt says sorry to davey,this man thinks hes above everyone coz he owns the blog,if he thinks me and you are trying to bring the blog down hes nuts coz hes doing a cracking job on his own…

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM

“,if he thinks me and you are trying to bring the blog down hes nuts coz hes doing a cracking job on his own”

Best line Ive read LMAO

He is flipping out alleging everything – he must reckon everyone is pig thick. He looks like a total loon lol , I dont have to type out to him I am sitting laughing my head off as he implodes. He is caught in his own web of lies and he is still digging. Im enjoying it lol.

Daves a gent Hitman – he loves the blog (toonsys side of it) and just tries to stay on the right side of Worky while holding his own, he had to play the diplomat.

I dare say if Worky was in the same room as him Dave would lend him the back of his hand for a sandwich

• batty

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM

startdust

• Stuart79

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Owe Walter!

I cannot believe you are actually still hanging around on these blogs. Haven’t you been made to look stupid enough already?

I mean you don’t rate Caroll, you think Mike Ashley is a god and you’ve never seen the club being ran better.

Where’s your self respect man?

• batty

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM

ile be back on after 9

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Aye Stu – I will give you it – Ive been a tit on those two lol , but Taylor I stand firm on lol!

Now then Batts! Was trying to remember your email add? know the first name, and the second is it with an i or u and is there a . in the nidlle? and is it hotmail/aol etc?

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:02 PM

OK fella

• Stuart79

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Stardust // Jan 1, 2011 at 8:01 PM

WOW! I have respect for you (well, a little).

So what exactly are your views on Mr Ashley now?

• batty

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM

cool – will add you and speak later fella!

• leedodd

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Its Time to Dig Deep – We need at Least a Draw at Wigan and 3 Points against West Ham. We need a Defender and Robbie K on Loan see Woodgate is available on loan at the moment we would take him back . Come on Lads Its Time to Kick some Backsides !!!!!

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Got zero time for him Stu – my brother said to me when Chris was sacked “Ashley is the stupidest man in the country, everyone on my side hated him before sacking Chris, and now everyone on your side hates him too”

Pretty much how I see it really, sacking Chris was unforgivable and a despicable act, I still support, I dont want us to fail because of that, but my view is 100% changed on the man himself. Chris was sold up the river.

• Stuart79

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Does that change the way you view the KK and Shearer episodes with Ashley? It’s obvious now that he has no morals and he’s a liar – whether you like KK/Shearer or not he could have been sold up the river too?

Also my opinion is that he is readying the club to be sold – all these five and half year deals stinks of asset consolidation to me? Profitable club with a reasonable wage bill, big fan base and best assets tied up…

Bargain for someone.

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM

No Stu – I stand by the fact that when youre paid 3.0m a year you have to have broad shoulders and Shearer had his chance and blew it (somehow we dont know)

But I fully accept that my reasoning behind the JK thing, when he hung on an hung on and didnt appoint another manager was “because Ashley is loyal” was a total none sense. He is a knife wilding b*****d, for me Chris Hughton was the best thing to happen in our club in years.

And when one opinion you held firm is shown to be so wrong, the rest can no longer hold as true as you initially believed.

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Yeah – Id read you were saying that the club could be lined up to be old, the fact is it could or it couldnt – good financial management would set them up that way anyway.

But your point could well be on the money.

• Stardust

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:25 PM

*to be sold

• hitman

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:06 PM

worky, whats it got to do with you who batty speaks to,who do you think you are….