John Carver Could Be On Way Back To Newcastle

We had reported last week that once Mickey Adams got the vacant Sheffield United job, then John Carver, who had been Assistant Manager to Gary Speed at the club, was out of a job.

John Carver – while at Newcastle

And who better to fill in the vacant Assistant Manager position at Newcastle,  than the man who was the right-hand man of  Sir Bobby Robson, while Bobby managed the club, and who is a Newcastle native – than John Carver?

The Sunday Mirror is reporting today that the 45 year-old Geordie is in the running to be named Alan Pardew’s assistant at the Magpies.

The former Leeds coach and Toronto FC manager, is looking for work after just losing his job at the Blades last week, after becoming caretaker manager for 3 games, after Gary Speed left Sheffield United to manage Wales.

Pardew told the Mirror:

“John did a super job when he was here and he’s a good guy.” “I’ve met him a couple of times and I like him.”

“I’ve had a chance to look at how it works now. There have been names mentioned but it’s a difficult position to fill.”

” It needs to be someone the players ­respect, who will be an asset to the group, to come in and assist me in what is a big job.”

John would be welcomed back by Newcastle fans, who remember him for the great job he did at the club as Bobby Robson’s right hand man from 1999 until 2004, when Bobby had Newcastle United flying high in the European Champions League.

Under Sir Bobby and John Carver,  Newcastle finished in 4th, 3rd and 5th places in the Premier League until Bobby was surprisingly sacked in late August of 2004, after just two draws in the first four league games of the season.

The Newcastle Chairman at the time, Freddy Shepherd, then made the famous statement that 5th place and out of the European Champions League just wasn’t good enough for Newcastle.

Yeah – right!

• JWatson

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Great news. He’s had experience with Newcastle and a lot of it. He’ll know our style of football and would be able to give Pardew a few pointers!

Nice to see some good news along with transfer rumours instead of people worrying about relegation.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 2, 2011 at 2:52 AM

I would welcome Carver back. Those were good times with Sir Bobby and if this guy can help us near that kind of form again then I am all for it.

• baro

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:07 AM

I’d welcome Carver back as well. He knows Newcastle and is very familiar with NUFC.

• StevieGee

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Saw that Manure are letting Macheda go out on loan to the team that will play him the most games.

Surely we could promise that? Up front with Carroll for the rest of the season.

• Spotlight Kid

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 AM

3 steps to heaven…

1) Appoint Carver!
    2) Sack Pardew!!
    3) Re-appoint Hoots!!!

• Jarra

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:07 AM

That is a silly statement Spotlight.
    Lets look at facts CH did a fabulous job in sorting out a mess, a very big mess and his hard work got us promoted.
    But he was not this super amazing manager so many are portraying.
    Look how many games he has managed us in the premier league including the three times he was in temp charge.
    His record is certainly not as good as people are saying
    I would suggest he is a nice fella, and has a lot of dignity, possibly a good coach, but for me ability to manage and tactics limited.
    We have to hope for the best with what we have been served, I was hoping for a big name when CH was sacked and gobsmacked when AP got the job.
    But I am Black and White and will get behind the lads and the manager until I believe he has proven to be inadequate.
    I had huge hopes when previous managers with big names have turned up such as Guillet, Souness, Allydice, and Dalglish have built our hopes up and delivered nothing.
    Therefore this fella I am gonna sit back watch and see what develops between now and the end of this season before I make a decision yes or no for the future.
    Tactics and style of play will be big on my list of observations, then transfer buys.
    Who knows we don’t expect too much we might be pleasantly suprised, but we can not think about bring back CH, let it go.

• Sav

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:24 PM

If Assistant manager is as important an appointment and key to our success as they make it sound, then we surely cannot carry on with nobody doing it for much longer. that much is obvious.

Get Carver!

“You’re a big man, but you’re in bad shape. With me it’s a full time job. Now behave yourself. ”
    (John Carver to Mike Ashley)

• Spotlight Kid

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Jarra. Hoots was working with very thin resources, and developed them fully. There are too many passengers in the squad who let him down. Pardew has been handed more resources (apparently) but is proving no more capable of getting results than Hoots with this lot, and is a long way off Hoots’ overall record.

Why are people pretending Pardew is anything but another JFK (and possibly even less of a manager than him)? Sorry but this is serious, and Pardew is problem. Give him all the chances you like, it’s the club that will suffer.

He is not a top manager and never will be – face facts as unpalatable as they are. We’ll lose again today, a virtual cert with this chump, and then we are really in the mire.

• Jarra

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:54 PM

SpotlightKid
    I agree with you on the seriousness of the situation and I think by the end of this transfer window we will be able to see what Ashley’s plans might be.
    My gut feeling is yes AP is in place to secure our position in the premiership then the club will be up for sale.
    Ashley is the only man who knows his plans, and as much as I hate him I can not stop following Newcastle United.
    I’m not sure what the extra resources AP has that CH didn’t get?
    But yes I think we are in for a difficult second half to the season, and interesting to note when CH left we were on or about the same points per games as the year we got relegated.
    I so so want us to do well as the Championship will be worse second time round.

• leedodd

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:09 PM

To Save Face The Fat Controller could Ease Things By Bringing John Home – We stay up and he will be a god. Mind You That would Put Pressure on Alan Pardew but He needs Pressure. He is One Manager that was Grey Before he came to us ?? Will it all fall out Now ??? I RECCON IF WE HAD A VOTE JOHN WOULD BE THE FANS CHOICE BECAUSE OF BOBBY !!!!!!!!!!!!

• leedodd

Jan 2, 2011 at 7:15 PM

We won’t go down we are a farr better side than people let on – we just need to concentrate in games etc. A bit of luck and we should be ok.
    The Doom and Gloom Boys Need to Shut up or go the stadium of shite!!!!!! When did we beat them 5-1 before this season ?? End of Story.