The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shola Pleased With Goal – Newcastle Won Comfortably

7:34 pm, Sunday, January 2nd, 2011 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Newcastle put in a  really pleasing and professional display at the DW Stadium this afternoon, and we’ll just whisper it – the lads were really comfortable winners at 1-0 this afternoon, if truth be told.

Shola Ameobi – after scoring the winner this afternoon

If Newcastle had taken their chances it would have looked a lot easier, at least on the score-sheet.

There was a golden opportunity after just two minutes when Ameobi failed to head home a wonderful far post cross from Joey Barton, and both Coloccini and Taylor hit the cross-bar with headers – again from Barton crosses.

So it could easily have been a 3-0 or even a 4-0 win – but we’ll take 1-0 and all 3 points for a vital win for the lads in what was a crucial game for the club – to keep us above the relegation zone.

Shola got his 7th goal of the season after 19 minutes and this is what he told Sky Sports after the game:

“When you get a chance so early on the good thing for me was I had 90 minutes to make one count and fortunately I had the opportunity to put one away,”

“I won’t get an easier chance, but I’m delighted to get the three points for the boys and the city after a tough Christmas.”

“In the first half we dominated but were only 1-0 up and you never know in this league. We didn’t get a second but we defended well and we needed to start keeping clean sheets.”

And the Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan praised another tip-top performance from Ivory Coast International Cheick Tiote, who was here, there and everywhere for the Magpies this afternoon.

This is what Kevin said of his fellow central midfielder:

“Tiote only gets better. The way he’s taken to the league has been fantastic and he’s been one of the buys of the season.”

“On the field he’s been a man mountain and he’s a great signing, a great kid and hopefully he’s got a great future with Newcastle.”

Good and accurate words from Kevin about a fantastic summer signing for Newcastle.

Newcastle played very like they did against Spurs on Wednesday afternoon, when they went down 2-0,   but Wigan are not as good as Spurs of course, and Newcastle were the better side this afternoon – and got 3 points because they played somewhere near their best against a bottom half side – something that;s been missing most of the season.

That was one of the pleasing things in the game today, and the lads looked really well organized, and it was clear that Alan Pardew has been doing some good work  on the training field, and especially with the back four who looked very solid today.

Now another similar performance at home on Wednesday night is what we need against West Ham United,  and then we’ll have captured 6 points from our four Christmas fixtures, and that will be a good return.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Kevin Nolan · Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 IndieGeordie // Jan 2, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Ed – Whats with Mr. Pardew with hands on his head on your banner? Surely He is doing better than that? Time to go for a better pic? And I think Tiote deserves a place there better than anyone else!

• 2 magpie999 // Jan 2, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Yes Shola got the goal and for the most part he was a handful in this game but he still doesn’t have enough energy for me…..and he has no brain what so ever.

If I had a pound for every time I’ve watched Shola be off side looking along the whole defence I could afford to buy us Ronaldo in the Jan transfer window,

He’s either an idiot or just completely lazy…I’m thinking a combination of the two. He must be awesome in training to pull the wool over so many managers eyes.

• 3 magpie999 // Jan 2, 2011 at 7:42 PM

We need to build a team around Tiote because if he plays like this all season I will eat my hat if Man City, Chelsea, Real Madrid or Barcelona don’t come in for him.

• 4 Thump // Jan 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM

It was a scrappy win to be sure but 3 points is 3 points.

I hope Pardew works with the lads on finishing because god knows we need it (on a different day it could have been 5 or even 6-0). On the plus side I like how we started looking for alternative options to scoring goals without Big Andy in the frame… shame about the quality of those finishers, eh?

• 5 Shot Bru // Jan 2, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Somebody mentioned earlier that Hodgson and Comolli were at the game today possibly checkin’ out Tiote..why would he even consider goin’ to Liverpool…they offer no more than what we do…so why take a sideways move. As magpie999 says it’s a different story if Madrid or moneybags Citeh come knockin’. Rodallega is just as likely a target for Hodgson.

• 6 archaeomag // Jan 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I wonder if Carroll had been fit – would Pardew have gone with 4:4:2, or would have stuck Andy up there on his own?

• 7 GeordieGerman // Jan 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

archaeomag, Unforgiving II. Howay man give him a chance. Jury is out by me till after next game. Said I wanted between 4 & 6 points from next 2 games. We got 3 today, that leaves between 1 & 3 from next. After that I’m behind Pardew…

… Till Sunderland and in SoS I don’t expect anything more than 1 point.

• 8 TheScottishGeordie // Jan 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Haha Colocinis cheeky header would have been classic :D

• 9 AngerOfTheNorth // Jan 2, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Tiote has been superb, we need to keep hold of him for at least a couple of seasons!

Shola on the other hand just isn’t cut out for it, sadly… Time for us to bring in another striker.

• 10 archaeomag // Jan 2, 2011 at 8:53 PM

@GeordieGerman
    Just idle speculation on my part.

I have no problem with Pardew, like you, I will not past judgement, till after the next couple of Games.
    I was pleased with the tactics today; kept a high line, pushed them back, and never allowed them to play.
    It’s helps having Tiote, who overran their 5 man midfield single handed!
    Bringing Harper back was good, he has better distribution than Krull.
    The team spirit is still there and that is the important thing for me.

• 11 archaeomag // Jan 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Other positives
    – Simpson’s cross in the first minute was a corker
    @TheScottishGeordie – someone has been working hard on the training ground routines.
    – Barton was not sent off by the Slapwebb MBE.
    – Barton has got his touch back
    _ Ameobi scored – which is what he is paid for.

• 12 baro // Jan 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Great job by Shola Ameobi! I thought he really looked sharp today. Was looking really good!

• 13 Brutooon // Jan 2, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Ameobi goal was a gift, put a 80 years old grandmother in his position and she will also score that goal

Other than that, its the same old Lazy Ameobi – the below average player.

• 14 Charlietoon // Jan 3, 2011 at 12:42 AM

That goal was 30% Harper, 40% Barton, 20% Loven and 10% Ameobi…and thats if you ignore two shocking pieces of defending. We were lucky today but I’d start the same team against West Ham.

• 15 boater // Jan 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Poor old Shola. A player which manages to stir the bile of the hate-fuelled lynchmob by scoring the single, winning goal.

Brutooon/ Magpie999 et al. Hand your heads in disgrace.

• 16 Hughton Till I Die // Jan 3, 2011 at 1:27 AM

i seriously wanna know what more ameobi has to do to get the appreciation of some of the fans on here.

• 17 Sav // Jan 3, 2011 at 1:54 AM

If Wigan are made this bad when Zog is absent we should definitely buy him back.

• 18 davcon22 // Jan 3, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Sav #17 The lad is a complete prick,he was nothing but trouble when he was here
    he would only spoil the togetherness that has been built up between the lads in the dressing room.
    I wouldnt have him on a free transfer!!!!

• 19 StevieGee // Jan 3, 2011 at 11:05 AM

We should get behind Shola.

He does make silly mistakes such as the first chance and being offside too much but he won the header and followed up for the goal.

It did pain me that we still relied on a long ball and misfortune for the goal but we’ve got to take them where we can get them sometimes.

Get behind our players and lets support them. We won yesterday. I hope Best, Shola and Loverman score against West Ham

• 20 Sav // Jan 4, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Davcon, so you want Bentley instead – or the Saussignon(?) lad at PSG? And what about wor Ben Arfa, for that matter – or Joey Barton?

Zog’s good and he tries on the pitch – always did – both at LB and midfield. I’m not saying your sister should shack up with him. He’s what we need. tbh, Kinnear insulted him in a very unprofessional way, in public. That’s far worse, to me, than calling you sh*t on the training pitch. Maybe Ashley and Llambias got a laugh out of those comments but I wish Zog was still with us and those 3 were long gone.

previous post: Wigan 0 Newcastle 1 – Goal Video