Shola Ameobi Has A Job To Do For Newcastle

Even though Shola Ameobi missed the proverbial sitter, after just two minutes on Sunday,  he didn’t let that miss get to him, and we thought he had more than a decent game yesterday for the Newcastle side.

Shola – after scoring on Sunday after 19 minutes

And Shola thinks Newcastle can do well in the absence of star striker Andy Carroll,  as he said this today to the  Evening Chronicle:

“We’ve got other strikers in the squad who can score goals.” “I go out there every game with the same mentality.”

“I try to help the team and score goals.” “Andy’s a massive miss for us with the quality he brings to the team.”

“Hopefully, I can come in now and show what I can do.” “I know when I’m fully fit, and at my best, I can get goals.”

“We’ve got other strikers who can step up to the plate, and I’m sure we’ll do that. “

And Ameobi when he has played over the last 15 months has shown some of his best form ever at the club, and Newcastle now need the Nigerian-born striker to step up to the plate in the next few games, while Andy is out recuperating from his thigh injury.

Shola continued:

“It’s a big win for us after a disappointing Christmas period.” “We needed to make a statement.”

“I missed quite an easy chance in the first couple of minutes but fortunately enough I made amends with an even easier chance.”

“I’m delighted to be able to come straight back in the team and score what turned out to be winning goal, and help us get three points. “It puts us in good stead for Wednesday.”

“December hasn’t been a great month for me – even before Liverpool I was feeling my hamstring.”

“Not being able to train for the last five weeks with the snow doesn’t help either.” “Hopefully, this will be the start of me staying fit.”

“We can use this victory as a stepping stone to kick on.”

Shola now has a big chance to show new manager Alan Pardew what he can do for the club, and Alan seems to have been pleased with the 28 year-old striker’s contribution yesterday.

Certainly we have another crucial game against West Ham on Wednesday night at St, James’ Park, and we need to continue to beat the lesser sides in the Premier League.

If we can keep doing that then safety in the Premier League could come quite a few weeks before the end of the season.

• alkinou

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I think the problem we’re facing now is that our fit strikers miss to many chances. Lovenkrands movement off the ball is excellent but lately he doesn’t put his chances away. Ameobi also tends to miss a lot of chances and Ranger has yet to score an epl goal I think.
    Against Wigan it was alright because they were bad allowed us to create lots of chances and didn’t really put the defence un der pressure. Against West Ham it’ll be much harder

• North Atlantic Magpie

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM

It was Lovenkrands’ goal.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:07 PM

The only decent thing he could do is that he could pack his bags and hit the road.

He is like Bramble, from Manager to Manager they all see something in him that nobody else sees. Would be nice to see his OPTA statistics.

How many negative runs?
    How many “easy fauls”?
    How many lost balls?

STFU about the support, some guys are just liabilities to the squad whenever on the pitch.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Ameobi is not good enough its plain and simple. Yes, he scored our goal but come on, our mothers could have scored that goal, however give Ameobi a little credit he was in the right place at the right time. I can not forget the chance he had in the first few minutes, a PL striker does not miss opportunities like that. Then, Lovenkrands was to his right, all it needed was a decent pass and Lovenkrands would have been away with only the keeper to beat. Ameobi does have some qualities but he is injury prone and he lacks consistency. I have read from the Sheilds Gatette that Harry Redknapp wants 5 million pounds for Keane, well if that is the case then i believe we should look else where. For 5 million we could get a younger striker. We are also linked with Bentley…..on loan. FFS go out and buy Bentley. So f…ing tight at this club its unreal. We need 1-2 wide men, a striker and maybe a full back as cover for Enrique although we do have Ferguson who is very good a must admit. Bentley, Aanholt and Keane providing he does not cost 5 million. He is not worth that imo.

• Solaidback

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I’m so glad I’m not the only one seeing this…. I was expecting to read this & see everyone singing his praises, thank frak for that!!! lol

• MacToon

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:32 PM

He scored the winner and well done for that, he not only scored it but helped create the goal too.

Pooor Strolla put in a good shift but still gets bashed from some.

Getting 40 points in the league usually guarentees prem safety and about £40 million in league money so you could say the 3 points we won from Strolla’s goal was worth £3 million for the club. Not too bad in my books.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:36 PM

MacToon

He is lazy. When you watch Carroll, he tracks back and helps defend and has saved us on a few occasions. Watch Ameobi and he stays in one spot. He is well over 6ft and he gets out jumped by a player who is a foot smaller.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM

The 40 million will go in the back pocket of Mr Ashley and we will see very little of it.

• warwick

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yeh it was a tap in but unless he had got a decent leap to get it in the box there would be no goal.

• boater

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:40 PM

@Solaidback. Pheew me too!!

I half expected to go on here after a local striker scored the crucial, winning goal in a must win match – taking his tally to 7 in 12 starts this season – and NOT read lots of hate-fuelled bile by lynch mob half-wits, about how ‘he’s lazy’, ‘loads of managers got it wrong about him’, and how he should be sold.

In other words I half expected a modicum of class, intelligence and insight, but thankfully on here all you get is prejudice, small mindedness and naysaying by happy meal, Playstation obsessed council estate charvs.

• warwick

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I just hope he scores against west ham, got more faith in him scoring than any other available striker.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Warwick

I do not fully understand your comment mate but Ameobi has no excuse what so ever. I do not dislike the man, i do not know him to start with but he is a very average Footballer and should have scored that goal in the first few minutes.

• boater

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:46 PM

toon1978, SHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT your sodding Benwell mouth for once.

Who cares if he’s lazy? He scored – and scores. It’s the most pathetic argument of air punching half-wits… ooooh he’s lazy. If someone scores a crucial goal and spends the rest of the 90 minutes doing sod all – isn’t that better than a huff and puff battler who contributes precisely nothing.

The best of it is – Shola led the line well yesterday and set up a fair few chances, he won most of the balls in the air, probably about the same as Carroll,

Go and apply you preparation H, take a deep breath and give some credit where it’s due you absolute Benwell scratchcard granny.

• sweendog

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:56 PM

always slated but always scores crucial goals for us..

Well done Shola ..

• balubas1

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Like I’ve said before. REAL Newcastle supporters hate and LOVE Shola.

He played good against Wigan, but he needs to be subbed after 60min every game. Pardew gave him an extra 15 but ok…

He scored the winner that secured 3pts. Can’t argue with that.

• macn0ble (Finland)

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM

@boater

“Playstation obsessed council estate charvs.”

In Fifa2010 it is crucial only to score goals, BUT in real life football is about many more things, and Shola just cannot provide all of those in EPL.

His movement is nonexistent, his first touch is like from a brick and he just cannot cope air balls with lads half his size.

That means; lost balls, counter attacks and conceded goals.

His tactical value is zero, comparing to f.ex. Ranger who puts pressure to the defenders with his movement.

• MacToon

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM

😆

Some people are never happy!

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:33 PM

boater

BENWELL????????? WTF. Try Wallsend mate. Try letting us have an opinion. Don’t give a f..k what you think but you have your opinion and so be it. So shut your BENWELL mouth and go boil ya twatting head.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Look, i have watched Ameobi for years and he is average. I don’t care whether you agree or disagree. He is not the worst striker i have seen here but he certainly ain’t the best.

• Mr Books

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:47 PM

If you could get the support play of Ranger and add the goals that Shola gets, likewise the support play of best with the finishing of Lovenkrands, we would have 2 great strikers. The problem we have is that the relevant qualities are spread accross 4 people.
    Personally I’d like to see Ranger and Best, I think they would give us the most chances in front of goal – but there combined strike rate is well… 0

• jj

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Ameobi is the best of a bad job at the minute…Mcloven is out of form and lacking confidence, Best is unproven, Ranger is an impact player who at the moment cant finish but will come good, shola love him or not….can score…maybe not prolific and theres a better striker in every team in the league but hes our shola and after ten years were used to him lol

• GeordieToon89

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Look simple Ameobi is Sh*t and Lovenkrands is not premier league standard now both wernt tht good yday all lovenkrands offers is pace nothing else and all ameobi offers is bugger all except sometimes he scores the odd goal for someone with such height and strength he needs to learn how to use is he’s got a crap touch he cant pass and he just doesnt no how to control the ball he was awful in the 2nd half lost ball everytime he got it, i do appreciate tht when he does try he does actually look quite decent but all in all he should of been sold years ago..quite frankly a thought best offered more in terms of tryng to make something happen when he came on than what ameobi did.. and Ranger doesnt start because hes constantly late for trainin and doesnt giv his all as pards says last week he needs to try harder if he wants to play

• Toon XI

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Hey, we won 3 points yesterday. Let’s be happy today and enjoy it.

• boater

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Toon1978 – we have all watched Ameobi for years… wow do you think that makes you a professor of ameobi?

Shola has 7 in 12 starts this season,,Ranger has 2 in his last 37 starts. See here’s where I’m a little crazy – I understand that goals are added up at the end of the game and the team with the most wins the game! So I would humbly advise we play strikers who score goals, not who have playstation value- because people macnoble spend their whole lives alternating between playstation and sticky self love in a darkened Finnish bedsit.

Just my strange way of hoping my team do well, you know don’t persecute the players – especially after winning us the game, You feckless bunch of half-wit ingrates.

• Dude

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Shola was shocking yesterday. Missed a sitter and should have laid up the 2-0 with a pass to Lovenkrands me missus could have made. Would prefer sticking with Ranger and Lovenkrands.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Boater,

love that line – Playstation obsessed council estate charvs.

sad but so true !!

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:28 PM

boater

You are an arrogant mate. We all have opinions and because you dislike some of them you resort to childish name calling. Look, i have played semi professional Football but never good enough to take that step further but that does not stop me from giving an opinion. If you do not like it then touch sh1t. I do not play on the Play station i leave that to my children and i do not play CC manager or what ever it is called. I leave that to the youngins mate.

• Toon1978

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Rotonda Heights

I wouldn’t care if it were true mate but i can not afford a Play station. I spend 60 hours a week working in an Engineering workshop so even if i did have a one i would not have the time to play on it hahaha. Although my oldest son has an Xbox but i can not get on it hehehe.

• supervil

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM

get in Boater son! absolutely spot on!

• cyprus

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:04 AM

It’s people like boater that turn you off from such blogs. But, you just learn to ignore. 1978 showed class in not taking the bait.

• rwpoynter

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Shola is an enigma I agree, but there have been many like him in the past, more famous than him. Two who come to mind are Jimmy Greaves and Denis Law. Both could flit around virtually anonymous for 88 minutes of a game but then would win the game in the other two. Yes, Shola’s goal was a simple tap in, but the secret is to be in the right place at the right time and plenty of stikers with 30 a season will include many goals like Shola’s at Wigan.

• AngerOfTheNorth

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Wow, is Boater a bit of a drinker..?

Shola lacks a number of skills you need at this level. His control and awareness of players around his simply isn’t there. There’s no shame in it – he’d be perfect for a club like Blackpool, or a CC club. As people have said, he gets into the right positions often enough to score a few goals. However for a club of our size, we need more rounded strikers.

For me, up front is our weakest area, which I’m sure will be strengthened this month.