Best Gives Alan Pardew Some Striker Selection Problems

Newcastle United striker Leon Best, the Talk of the Toon today, says he has given his manager Alan Pardew a few selection problems up front.

Leon Best – great hat-trick last night

Since Andy Carroll has been out injured, other Newcastle strikers – Leon Best, Ameobi and Lovenkrands – have all hit goals for the Newcastle side, and ensured they got the job done in Andy’s absence.

And the man of the moment Leon Best, told BBC Newcastle this morning:

“It’s good competition and every manager would like a headache like that,” “All the strikers are doing well and scoring, it’s good for the team.”

“That’s the thing at Newcastle, all the strikers can play with each other well.”

It’s now a little surprising that Best had failed to score in his first 14 appearances  for the club, but Leon has also had lots of injuries over the last 12 months, since signing from Coventry City last January.

And any first-team opportunities have been scarce this season, with just one appearance as a substitute lats Sunday, before his first ever PL start against the Hammers.

“I found I was playing this morning, I woke up with a message from the gaffer, I rang him back and he told me I was playing,”

“It was a bit of a shock but I was delighted.” “I tried to just relax and think of goals during the day, I tried to keep calm and it worked out for me.”

Alan Pardew has seen that his strikers can indeed produce the goods, when needed, and we wonder if Pardew will still bring in another striker in January.

It seems what we need is a good winger, a good central midfield player and a good full back to augment the squad through the end of the season.

But talk of paying £7M for a certain 30 year-old Robbie Keane from Spurs would hardly be good use of Newcastle’s January transfer funds.

• GeordieGerman

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Strange that Arry hasn’t been in contact, to ask how much we want for Best.

• jamiemt

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM

On twitter a football agent said his top transfer tip for this window is Ashley Williams to newcastle……watch this space i say.

• toonarmy1986

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Best proved in that one game he has a lot more to offer than Ameobi has. Have we got to give credit where credit is due to Pardew for taken a chance on Best as he could easily of played Nolan there but he didn’t.

• cyprus

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

where r all those people shouting for best’s head today? give xisco a chance too i say. only ranger had a dreadful game. all we really need is a creative midfielder for when it ain’t working for joey (see spurs game) (not a winger, we got those) and we’re set for europe!

• cyprus

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:33 PM

good point 1986

• Obafan

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

What a fantastic game it was last night! The only negative are the players who might turn out to be injured.

Harper: great to get him back. Krul did a very good job, but Harper is the more experienced ATM.

Simpson: for me he is progressing very quickly; he played a very good game
    Collo: OUTSTANDING!
    Saylor; did nothing wrong and hope he will not have a bad injury
    Enrique: the Bale of Newcastle.

Barton: OUTSTANDING! Even when we were 5-0 up; he kept the others awake.
    Tiote: OUTSTANDING! strong and outplayed Parker most of the time
    Nolan: perfect player to have as captain; he is having a very good season
    Jonas: was a constant danger; but still needs to work on his crosses

Best: well I’m so glad for this player; got lots of stick. Hope he can continue on this form and he and Caroll upfront against the Mackems. Not only because of his goals, but also the effort he puts in. I really am impressed with his performance!
    Lovenkrands: worked extremely hard and makes a good partnership with Leon

Pardew: got the tactics 100% right. And he is doing a very good job so far.

• McGroin

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Lets not get ahead of ourselves,We’re far from Europe,We’re not ready for Europe,We dont having the backing of the owner to support the manager to give him enough funds to buy canny players for Europe,Every week once we have a good run of games, I always see “We’re set for Europe”,”We’re ready for Europe “……

• Richy_c90

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I hope the injuries we have aren’t serious, but a week and a half to recover should help a lot. I hope Pardew doesn’t risk players on Saturday, I saw that he wants to ‘play his strongest team, unlike Hughton’.

• leedodd

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Leon Leon Best Leon Leon best !!!!!! Well Done Son show all the Doom and Gloom Brigade Your The Man to Kick Arse !!!!!! We do need 3 players we have a midfielder yesterday we need a new centre forward and a defender now . Maybe one more midfielder ?? Bentley I am afraid isn’t really the Man for us ?? He will be another southern Mersinary !! Oh Yea Leon score 3 More Saturday in the Cup Geezzzz

• GeordieGerman

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM

McGroin, It’s winter and your putting water on the fire.

This is Newcastle United and it’s not often that we can sit in the glow of success, something going right at last. Let us have the moment and enjoy.

• Richy_c90

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Just a thought, Alan Smith was out last night, with Pardew saying I don’t know I think it is his knee. Reckon a deal with Leeds is on the cards for Gradel?

• Sinner

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:52 PM

For me,2 good signings this January and we are pushing for Europe. 😀
    A left winger and a striker.
    I know we have lots of good strikers and especially one outclassed himself yesterday.”Best”
    But let not forget,we have scored 5 goals,but West Ham has been woeful in defence,giving balls away and bad marking of players,giving them space.
    Also,as far as i remembered Owen scored a hat trick in CL not long ago and was still struggling to score in the league.Im not saying Best would turn out another Owen but we need an experienced striker in team.Nothing taken from him,he was extraordinary yesterday.
    But can he keep up?
    We need a good striker that can keep us scoring goals.

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM

mrgroin@7

Why spend big money on fakes such as owen…when we can get cheap players that are better such as ben arfa, tiote, simpson, best,willo??

• McGroin

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:57 PM

I have supported Newcastle United my whole life,I haven’t seen much glow of success besides Sir Bobby Robson days.You can sit and enjoy the recent success ( As I did last night),But saying we’re ready for Europe is a joke,beating Wigan and West Ham makes us a Europe Team ? No it doesn’t.

• McGroin

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I never said about spending big money for buying big names,I said buying players who are canny like your’s Ben Arfa and Tiote.

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I’ve never been anti-Best like some fans.

I think last night he did more than prove he is capable of doing a job for us.

I also think that Xisco should be given the same chance that Best has received and see what he is really capable of.

If Xisco does not prove himself then he should be allowed to leave.

For me, as always, Strolla should be allowed to leave, I have never really liked the lad, and after 8 years with the club he has never improved, for me he is too lazy.

Nile Ranger, last night showed that he is desperate need of some games under his belt, but he cannot get them games in our first team, so I feel that he should be loaned out to a CCC club to get some much needed experience.

That would leave us with the following first team strikers:

1. Andy Carroll.
    2. Leon Best.
    3. Peter Lovenkrands.
    4. Xisco – If he proves himself.

If Xisco does not prove himself then we need a new striker in in his place.

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I know were not ready for europe…I think we will finish even stevens round about 10th..Then go from there..But i hope im wrong…An we better not get bentley we cud get some1 better for cheaper giovani maby?

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Nd i think we should defo ship out loven an go for some1 like nicolas benther or agbonlahour mind the spelling there

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM

kevymartins @ 17:
    why giovani? is he good on the playstation like?
    A nobody who has done nowt, and surplus to requirements at another team. Sounds like a winner to me. Why can we not trust our scouting network who came up with Tiote? they will unearth the next big thing I am sure. We dont need other peoples rubbish.

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM

Now Niclas Bendtner I like a lot. Thats more like it.

• McGroin

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:10 PM

I have never liked Bendtner he has always thought that he was better then he is,which he isn’t.

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:11 PM

i know it was an excample…You never know what the manager’s are up 2..sure rember we made a 10mil bid for kerion richardson is he rubbish??Hes crap

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM

McGroin:
    When he can score goals in the champions league then he is good enough for us. Bendner is a great finisher with both feet, and is very good in the air. He would be devastating alonside Big Andy. He would cost some decent money though, and thats where this debate ends, as Big Fat Ashley has the purse. We will probably end up with Walter Scringeworth from Kilmarnock because he is young and full of potential.

• McGroin

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I know I know,Lynxie.I just cant see him coming to us,I think he would upset our dressing room.

• BeeGuy

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM

While it is great that Best got 3, I still want to see more before I hop on his bandwagon. I could not tell just how well he handled the long kicks from Harper. Was that his style. or team strategy? In only 60 minutes of meaningful time, against questionable opponents, I won’t rush to judgment. But I am hoping that he does have the talent and composure to be an asset to the squad.

• Cockney Magpie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Mcgroin I have to say I disagree with u there i feel right now we have a team that is more than capable of competing in the uefa cup

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:30 PM

@ BeeGuy // Jan 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM

He obviously has talent and skill to put the ball in the back of the net 3 times.

I think he is far better than Strolla or Ranger, just in the fact that he is not lazy

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM

@ Cockney Magpie // Jan 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM

We do not have enough strength and depth to compete in too many competitions mate

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:31 PM

McGroin:
    me too, however, there are some big personalities in there now who wouldnt allow anyone to upset the apple cart. Remember it was those lads that helped oust the likes of Beye and Duff, (and to some extent Geremi) who would have skulked on forever picking up salaries.

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Richygo1
    I totally agree with both comment 27 and 28. Well said.

• kevymartins

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Oba Oba martins da da da da oba oba martins Give him another shot at it

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

kevymartins:
    Are you off your head? Oba Martins took us for chumps a few years ago. yes he was one of the ‘couldnt give a toss’ brigade that got us demoted. jesus, Oba Martins. …… Idiot, get back on your playstation.

• Lynxie

Jan 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM

kevymartins,

What about Frank Pingel or Billy Whitehurst? They must have matured as a players by now……..

• tcbelfast

Jan 6, 2011 at 7:26 PM

has there been a price put on bentley??
    7 million for keane,stay away from that.ridiculous price,better giving me 7 mill and i’m 40.

• thepict

Jan 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM

Maybe just maybe, some folk will get off Best’s back and give the lad a chance. let’s hope so.