The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Haris Vuckic Signs New Long Term Deal At Newcastle

12:08 pm, Saturday, January 8th, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 26 Comments

News is just coming through that 18 year-old Slovenian Haris Vuckic has signed a new five and a half year deal at the Newcastle club, which keeps him on Tyneside until the summer of 2016.

Haris Vuckic – potential great player of the future for Newcastle

There had been news in Slovenia yesterday that Haris was willing to commit himself to the Tyneside club, and those rumors have proved to be correct.

The 18 year old had been tracked by both Arsenal and Manchester United in the last few months, but manager Alan Pardew will be happy to have tied down the youngster, to an improved long term deal.

Vuckic said after signing his new contract today:

“I’ve been here a few years now and am very settled, so it is good to get the deal sorted.”

“I’d like to say to our supporters that as a player you will always see 100% commitment from me on the pitch.”

“Furthermore I am relishing the opportunity of playing in front of you in the future as my career develops here.”

“I have seen first hand this season what fantastic and passionate fans you are and that really excites me.”

“I know I can progress at Newcastle, and will only learn from spending every day around the sort of quality, experienced players we have here.

“Playing against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal this season has been an incredible experience for me with the win at Stamford Bridge a real highlight.”

Manager Alan Pardew seemed delighted he had nailed down one of the brightest prospects we’ve had on Tyneside for a while, and he said:

“Haris is a player with real potential who we believe could have an exciting future here at Newcastle.”

“It is great news for all parties that he has agreed a new contract.”

Haris is a potential big star of the future and the 6’2″ midfielder has looked good when he’s been given a chance at Newcastle, but he hasn’t been given too many of those so far at Newcastle.

With Alan Pardew wanting the youngsters to play regularly, and very willing to send them out on loan, we could well see Haris moving to a Championship club in January, for the rest of the season.

If the youngsters  don’t get regular games, then how can they improve their game and learn their trade?

We’d really like to see more of our youngsters out there playing every week for lower division clubs, before finally returning to Tyneside, more like the finished article.

Haris is one of those players you just know could turn out to be a great player, and even now he’s exciting to watch, even though he’s still learning his trade.

We are delighted Haris will be at the club until he’s the ripe old age of 23. :D

Note – his birthday is in August and he was born in 1992, so when his contract runs out on June 30th, 2016 – he’ll still be just 23.

Wonder how many first team appearances he will have made for Newcatsle, and International caps for Slovenia, by that time?

For the record he has 7 first team appearances so far for Newcastle.

Tags: Haris Vuckic · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Brutooon // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM

He should play tonite, i believe we will see him more under Alan Pardew

• 2 colwell // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I really want too see more of this guy he is rated so highly everytime i`ve seen him play he hasn`t looked good even against Accrington.

• 3 andoni // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Great! Now we must sign Vela on loan!!! I read somewhere that he’s available and that Wenger want him in England. Don’t lose the chance!

• 4 carrollsinger // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Start him today

• 5 Spuggy // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Vuckic is the fourth Newcastle player in recent weeks to commit his long-term future to the club, following Steven Taylor, Mike Williamson and Nile Ranger in agreeing fresh terms.

I’m going to REALLY stick my neck out here and prob get loads of stick but….

I’m loving where the club are at the moment, with one quality addition offensively this window I think we have an incredible platform to build on, especially with the youngsters that our club are clearly focusing on developing as part of their long term strategy.

Early impressions of Pardew are good, he has brought a little extra refinement to the team in my opinion. And by that I mean, Gutierrez and Enrique’s improved forward play, getting into the box. Barton is on fire. S Taylors rejuvenation, defending better as a team, Arfa’s permanent deal.

It’s early days I know, but I think I and quite a few others we’re gutted when Pardew was appointed, but so far he has made us eat humble pie. Granted he had a great platform from Hughton who I still hold in esteem and will never forget what he did for this club.

Ashley’s, YES ASHLEY’S, arsenal-esque business model of developing home grown players and buying the best young talent around the globe will soon start to pay off, with some of the youngsters entering the fringes of the first team.

Do I want multi-billionnaires to sweep in and take hold of the reigns – no thanks, they will rip the spirit out of this club. Ashley has made some horrendous decisions – manager appointed/sacked, renaming of the stadium etc, and he’s terrible at communicating. But he has put this club in a fantastic financial position, with a great core of players with skill and spirit that should see us ok.

With a sprinkling of luck this season we will be ok, especially if we can keep players fit. A good quality offensive player this window, and a couple of key quality Tiote/arfa-esque acquisitions in the summer and we will have the makings of a great team.

I’d like to see the Ashley boo boys stop now, and concentrate on the team, the football and enjoying the beautiful game. We can song against Ashley every game, but we’d likely be bankrupt without his cash and business model keeping us afloat.

• 6 Oba // Jan 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Good news. But now he needs to get game time or all his potential that we know he has will be wasted.

• 7 ToonAndy // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:08 PM

My team for the day…

………………………….KRUL……………………………..

SIMPSON……..COLO……WILLO……..ENRIQUE

BARTON……..NOLAN……VUCKIC………JONAS

……………..ROUTLEDGE…….BEST…………………

• 8 mattnufc // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM

My team for the day…

………………………….KRUL……………………………..

SIMPSON……..KADAR……WILLO……..PERCH

ROUTLEDGE……NOLAN……VUCKIC.…JONAS

……………..RANGER…….BEST……………………..

Would rather this than risking injuring key players.

• 9 AussieToon // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM

No way do we risk Barton, Enrique, Nolan and Colo….I would even not want Simpson to play. Put them on the bench and only use them if things get dire.

Have Ferguson in for Enrique, Put Routledge on the right of midfield, Put Lovenkrands up front, put Guthrie in the midfield and Kadar in the center of defence.

We can’t afford anymore injuries to our better players. We lose Joey, Nolan, Enrique, Colo or even Simpson then we are in dire straights.

• 10 Hugh Jorgan // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

A well written post Spuggy.
    It makes a refreshing change to read a comment written by someone who has a decent command of the English language.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

• 11 Oba // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Smith and Guthrie in CM. Vuckic up front just off Ranger. Isn’t Best injured? Wouldn’t risk him.

• 12 baro // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Great and excellent news! Haris Vuckic is one of my favorite youngsters on Newcastle. He has plenty of potential. We really need to hold on to these youngsters for the future! Steven Taylor, the great Andy Carroll and now Shane Ferguson, and Nile Ranger have broken through the academy. I love how we are tieing up 5 year deals on our future players but why do we give a 5 year contract to Mike Williamson? He is alright now but who knows about in 5 YEARS?

• 13 Geordie-Gerrard7 // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Ashley is securing all these players so were a more sellable asset, he was in talk with indians and moat, and spent all of December with financers. So read into that as you like.

• 14 gorskino10 // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

I think with his height playing just behind the striker would suit him best so hopefully Haris plays there today, Good to see we dont wanna lose our “Talent” from the youth at the end of the day they are our future and thansfully our club know the same.

• 15 Jarra // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Like what has previously been stated I have also heard good reports about this young player and today could be a high possible he will play.
    I would also like to see us have a good cup run as I love this competition.
    I would also like to say that the comments made by Spoggy meggasge 5 I completly agree with.
    I do not beleive that Ashley should make comment but I do think he should get a better communicator to do that on his behalf someone like Chris Mort his previous chairman would be a good call and get rid of that dodgy car salesman LLambas or however it is spelt.

• 16 andoni // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM

What’s going on with Gostling?
    Too much time without playing.

• 17 Jarra // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

My team for today
    KRUL
    Simpson Williams Colo Enrique
    Routledge Smith Vuckic Ferguson
    Ranger Best

With Barton, Nolan, Lovenkrands, Harper, for experience to turn it round if it goes wrong.

This team should have enough experience at the back with a mixture of wanting to impress AP with the players in midfield and up front.

• 18 Thump // Jan 8, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Is it just me or does Haris look constantly high?

I pretty much agree with your team, Jarra. If not best than Lover.

• 19 Brutooon // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM

two possibilities playing our 1st eleven

1) some might get injured
    2) if we Lose, bad morale for the players

• 20 Spuggy // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM

@ Hugh and Jarra,

Thanks for the comments about my post @ 5, and to everyone else who votes thumbs up. I feel strongly about this, I’m not the biggest fan of Ashley, but I believe we had to go through the fire to come out the other end with a more refined and efficient business and a much better team spirit not the prima donna “here for the money” players have all but gone.

Ed – any chance of an article on this, I wonder what most people think. Time to bury the hatchet? And not necessarily in Ashley’s back this time.

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Krul

Simpson, Collo / Kadar, Williamson, Fergurson

Routledge, Barton, Vuckic, Gutierrez

Ranger, Lovenkrands

• 22 JP...from The Rock // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM

It’s a shame Lua Lua is injured as I think he could open up defenses in the EPL. I would like to see him challenging Gutierrez in the future and coming on as an impact sub. Today’s match would have been ideal for him to show what he’s capable of. I am excited to see how Vuckic will do today as it’s very likely he’ll start.

• 23 Spuggy // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Agreed JP, I think the timing of the contract signing was no coincidence. Hope he gets a run out so we can see how he’s developing under the tutelage of stone, donache and beardley.

On a completely unrelated note…..7 weeks til Arfa’s return apparently.

• 24 JP...from The Rock // Jan 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Spuggy – I can’t wait to see Ben Arfa back! I am really happy he’s here to stay. A very exciting player and we need one or two more of those to be a very, very strong team.

• 25 Jamma // Jan 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM

@spuggy – couldn’t agree more mate.

• 26 Jamma // Jan 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM

*much rather we are run how we are being run now (sensible signings, exciting bargain players) than being run by billionaires paying ridiculous fees and wages for “superstars” (Man City).

previous post: Leon Best – The Stuff Of Fairy Tales And Such A Nice Guy Too

next post: Daily Mirror Story On Carroll Complete Rubbish – Legal Action?