Newcastle Unlikely To Compete For Everton’s Steven Pienaar

Everton’s South African International winger Steven Pienaar, will become a free agent in the summer, and if that happens he will have lots of top clubs after him.

Steven Pienaar – free agent in the summer

It seems that Tottenham Hotspur were favorites to sign the player, but news today that Chelsea’s Carlo Ancelotti may be eager, and even put in a £3M bid for the player in January.

Everton manager David Moyes will want to keep the player through the end of the season, no doubt, because he is already missing his other big star, Australian midfielder Tim Cahill, who is playing in the Asian Cup in January.

Of course, Newcastle will also find it it hard to compete with the two London clubs, who can both offer European Champions League football for Pienaar.

But Steven would also be a great addition to the Newcastle squad, if we could get him (yes- it seems very unlikely), where our wingers have not been producing the goods too often  this season.

Wolves’ central midfielder David Jones

And another player who will become a free agent in the summer, is Wolves 26 year-old central midfielder David Jones.

But the former Manchester United youngster has recently lost his place in the Wolves side, and has only appeared 12 times with one goal this season.

However, when we’ve seen David in action he can certainly pass the ball around, and has looked a good player.

Whether he would still be a target for Newcastle in the summer, would now seem debatable.

What do you think?

• G

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Steven Pienaar would be an outstanding signing, but Jones does’nt particularly impress me, but then again, I suppose it is hard for anybody to impress whilst playing in a Mick McCarthy team.

• lewytoon

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

mick mcarthy team?

• Ryan_NUFC88

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Very doubtful he would sign for us, but I’m sure I heard before that he supports the toon…

I’d be happy if come deadline day we’d have signed the below

Larsson £1.5m
    Doumbia £5m
    El Arabi £4m

Get rid of the below:

Smith £750k
    Perch £750k
    Xisco £2m
    Lovenkrands £1m

Personally I wouldn’t want Lovenkrands to go as I think he’s a good squad player but I’ve got a feeling he wants to leave for 1st team football.

• Indian Magpie

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I will go for Shane llong of reading.

• Cockney Magpie

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:20 PM

whats happened to you Ed? you clog this blog up with some pointless rubbish sometimes

• North Atlantic Magpie

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM

I don’t like Pienaar!!

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Steven Pienaar.

1. Would be a great acquisituion.
    2. Like Ed says, London calling, we dont have the pull we once had.

Dave Jones..

1. Why more Central Midfielders?
    2. He cant even get in the Wolves team!

• GeordieToon89

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Pienaar is class but he wouldnt even dream of coming to us now, he can easily go to a bigger club like tottenham or chelsea someone like tha so its pointless even thinkin about it

• GeordieToon89

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM

theys only 2 players ad have from wolves thats Jarvis and Doyle

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Is everybody on glue here these days!! STEVEN PIENAAR???
    Knee chance

• Bucks mag

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Shout GT89 I’d love to see Jarvis, from the North East as well

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Ryan NUFC88, that is i great shout lad, and would be good if it would come off…..very doubtful though!

i would be happy just selling the listed players tbh and getting el arabi in!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Re SEB LARSSON, you need to look at the facts here folks….reality.

He wont sign a new contract at Birmingham, becasue they arent offering him enough.
    They arent offering him enough because obviously they dont think he is worth it, they think Bentley is a better player. All this we hope he stays is Bull, its to get a fee for Larsson in this window, thats all it is.
    Currently, we are no better than birmingham in quality, we are mid table team at the best! i am not saying thats a bad thing before i get jumped on.
    We really need to be signing quality young players, hungary for success, not for money. and we dont want teams cast offs!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:40 PM

PS I didnt say Larsson would be a BAD signing. I just think people are getting excited about a mediocre player!! His goals per game ration for a winger isnt great, his pace isnt that great and his assist record is average……

Check out his stats.

Sorry for p!ssing on everyones parade like, but its my opinion, and its is actually based on fact

• G

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:41 PM

lewytoon @ post 2. Yes, Mick McCarthy, who manages David Jones at Wolves. Not sure I understand the question mate?

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM

GT89
    i too think Jarvis is a good call and IMO is better than Larsson
    Doyle??? Not so good a shout

• Mo Drysdale

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Team for weekend:

——————–Harps

Simpson—Taylos—–Colo—Enrique

Larsson–Barton–Tiote–Lovenkrands

————Nolan

———————–Carroll

1. I would play Lovenkrands on the left as his workrate during recent matches has been fantastic. also I would bring on Gutierrez in the last 30 were his fresh legs, speed and tricks would give a tired sunderland defence problems.

2. Nolan has to be the second striker comming from midfield as the mental scars of what he did to the scum during the 5-1 match will live with them.

3. I think Tiote will get off with his ban, have watched it a hundred times, didn’t touch the defender and no intent.

4. If Tiote is band I would be tempted to play Colo in a similar role as Tiote and slip Williamson into defence.

• G

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Angryman the Angry fan @ 14. Fair comments mate, but in his favour, I would say the player has pretty good crossing ability, and as an out and out winger, scoring goals isn’t particularly his priority. Pacewise, fair enough, he isn’t pacey, but then again, there is this bloke called Beckham who was considered the best winger in the world at one point, and he’s never been pacey either. Personnaly, I will be delighted if we sign him.

• boater

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM

errrm so why run the article? No one thought we would in the first place.
    Do the headlines at news at 10 say ‘Earth Not Ending Tomorrow’? Nope… you get my point.

God Bless America! Hallelujah! Yeeeeehaaaa

• lewytoon

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

haha soz, i wasnt thinking properly i was thinking about pienaar not david jones soz :S

• G

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM

No probs lewytoon. You just threw me there, I’ve just been checking the threads to see if MM had been sacked? lol

• daneevz

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM

lol angry man ask u a Q? is Seb better than what we got?(thats not injured)

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:31 PM

daneevz, ive never comapred him to what we have got.
    If you want to discuss the finer points:
    Seb good crosser of the ball but no pace
    Routledge sh!te crosser of the ball, but pace to burn
    Both have a trick or 2 up their sleeves?? Catch my point!!
    Why not sign a winger with all the above the requirements.

G
    Cant ever remember Beckham being labelled the best ‘winger’ in the world?????? Best crosser of the ball maybe. Best deadball specialist definately, but best ‘winger’?? NEVER!!

I would be very happy if Seb Larsson is Beckhams equal…..ecstatic I hasten to add, however, I am sure Manure, Chelski, Real Madrid, Citeh, Barca wouls also be ecstatic if Larsson was the same Quality as Beckham 😉

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Listen lads, Im not trying to pittle on anybodys parade…I am merely saying how i see it with regards to Larsson. It seems our friend Ed, is making the potential signing of Larsson almost akin to the signing of, i dunno, Shearer, well maybe slight exaggeration their but it is being blown out of proportion here.
    My opinion, and that of 1 or 2 brummie fans, is that theyd rather have Bentley and his baggage anyday….better player all round!! They did NOT say Larsson is a bad player, they merely said he flatters to decieve at times….a la routledge!!!!

• boater

Jan 11, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Angryman – as opposed to Bentley who is the very model of premiership wing-play consistency?

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Boater, you tell me. You seem to know all about the EPL and when somone dares question your supreme knowledge they are shouted down!!!

Where as my good self, whom has been educated in the proper manner, I merely put my opinion across, with constructive material derived from opinions of both myself and supporters of opposing premier teams, of whom i have a GOOD friendship with or at least i know one ardent supporter of every EPL team.

So I am quite privelidged to be able to sort of gen up, on potential targets, rumoured targets and actual signings, prior to them landing at NIA, with people whoi have ALOT more knowledge than myself and yourslelf about said players!!

IMO I can name at least three alternatives a million times better than Seb Larsson, but the availability of these players is unlikely!!

So i decided to say and I quote ” I didnt say Larsson would be a BAD signing” My opinion is, do we really need something that wont add a great deal to our squad!!

Q the attempted slap down from the delightful BOATER!

• Sav

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:06 PM

If its Larsson for 1.5 to 2 million we hear and Pienaar for 3 million…? I’d be ordering in a crate of Chang beer.
    But then again there’s the Moroccan lad at Caen – he’s on form, versatile, scoring regularly, young but also supposedly costs 5 million and still untested in the Prem.

Howay, FatAsh, this isn’t the time for ‘que sera, sera’. Its “Faite vos jeux”.

• chuck

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Look Larsson would be a steal @one mill.
    Pienaar aint comming.
    Dont want Jones.
    We should be looking at quality to improve this side, not who can be bought for the least amount.
    We got enough second tier never gonna make it players, we should be looking at dumping the deadwood and replacing them with a bit of quality.

• estechco

Jan 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Ed, don’t we have enough to contend with the “possible” signings without getting bogged down in the ones who “we aren’t going to sign” too?

• Oleg G

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Maybe I am just naive or old fashion, but why a good player will want to go to a TOP club that is filled with good players?

If I was one (and I am not) I would want to go to a good club that I can become an important player for and try and take that club to better places.

Why would he go to Chelsea? Why to Spurs?
    They are filled with stars and there is not heart there (at least in Chelski). Only money money and money.

I understand if they want to go for the wages. But ok – they can offer him European football, so what?

I get it if it is the money, but come on, you are a football player, not a stock broker, where is the passion for the game?

Too bad that the rules in football are not a little bit like in the NBA. The less good teams get to pick first (although there is no draft here, but …. eh… I don’t know, just sick of 4-5 teams getting all the good stuff and we are left if the left overs).