Disappointed Newcastle Fans Have That Sinking Feeling

Newcastle fans are waking up today with that sinking feeling of what could have been.

Kevin Nolan – after scoring what looked like the winner yesterday

And what could have been is that Newcastle should have beaten Sunderland yesterday, but of course Sunderland equalized in the 4th minute of injury time, even though Steve  Bruce,  their manager, admits Newcastle were again the better side.

The first half was very even and a typical derby game, but in that second half,  Newcastle’s experienced players like Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan and Jose Enrique, not to mention Coloccini who was fabulous yesterday, again got a tight grip on the game.

Bruce was not happy with his Sunderland side in the second half, as he thought his side again let the occasion get to them, as they had in the 5-1 hammering at St. James’ Park.

What was missing from Newcastle was a second goal to kill off the game, and they never got that, which always left them open to conceding an equalizing goal, however much the Newcastle side were on top.

And as bad luck would have it – it was a lucky goal for Sunderland –  just before the end of the game, with the scorer Gyan, not knowing much about it, and admitting as much after the game.

Alan Pardew thought it felt like a defeat at the end of the game, and that’s exactly how we felt.

But it was another solid league performance from Newcastle, and but for that last minute goal Newcastle would have had 3 league wins in a row without conceding a single goal.

This is what Alan said today:

“I am disappointed. We were in the dressing room feeling like it was a defeat even though we got a valuable point,”

“The players had a good mentality about them – we started with two up front to try and hurt them and we were fast and I thought we started on the front foot.”

“The first half felt like a derby, both teams were huffing and puffing, but in the second half we were excellent.”

“We controlled the game, got the goal and from that period our fans were making lots of noise and I thought on the sideline we were see it out.”

“What cost us was a lot of injury time which I thought was a bit harsh. You don’t see many games with five minutes injury time – I thought it was three or four at most.”

“It brought the stadium alive and I thought the referee almost went ‘Here you are, there’s a little bit at the end for you.’ And that is what it proved to be.”

Five minutes injury time did seem a bit much, but you can hardly point to that as the reason for not winning, because Newcastle should not have conceded, and unfortunately it was another bad goal against Newcastle.

Steve Harper was probably at fault a little, although Steve was very good the rest of the game, but it was a sickening goal to concede.

Newcastle now have to take this disappointment and use it to their advantage, much like Sunderland did after their 5-1 walloping at St. James’ Park, earlier in the season.

Next up is Spurs next Saturday at home, and we’ll now be looking for all 3 points from that game – if only to make up for this disappointment.

• bentoon

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

If we really are targeting all 3 points against Spurs then we will have to play out of our skin for 95 minutes because they looked good again yesterday against Man U.

• heyupjackie-nufc9

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:46 AM

i hate tht f**kin gyan when ever he scored this season his celebrations aggrivate the sh**e out of me. Hes just a s**t oba martins!

• Tom

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Don’t see why. Yes it was a damned shame to draw after having done so well for so long, but I would have takena point before kick off, so I’m happy enough 🙂

• Jarra Mag

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Steve Bruce promised a special song would be played over the tannoy – but only if they won. Does anyone know what the song was going to be? On another note – the Mackems can’t control their pitch can they? They encroached when England played a few years ago – and some SMB were at it again last time we played there? Seems to me a suitable punishment would be [a] no alcohol anywhere in the ground including any corporate areas [b] hard toilet rolll – forever [c] get a water cannon and give any arrested a bar of soap. I would also suggest excommunication too but don’t want to appear to be too harsh.

• Toonkistan

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:52 AM

95% of the fans would have taken a point before the match considering we are playing away with lots of injuries and suspension as well as the fact that Mackems has been good at home and very solid defensively….i am still happy with a draw but also gutted by the fact that we didnt clinch all 3 points ..i m not gonna fault harper like a lot of fans and i think he showed y he’s number 1 goalie at the club as he commands the box and looks comfortable in awkward situations…..collo was just class yesterday ..also i dont think smith was having a bad game either but fans just need a reason to slag our own players 🙁 shola couldve done better with the finishing

• Toonkistan

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

on a spat note did anyone notice that Joey was having a right go at williamson at the end for not clearing the ball (although cameras thought it was collo) and he had to separated by Nolan …i was kinda worried with his temper…but when the match ended joey well and truly looked like a defeated player …i just love him if only he could control his temper 🙁

• kajman

Jan 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

did anyone notice that seb larrson was on even on the bench yesterday ? any info

• Toonkistan

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM

kajman…according to ssn he’s in talks with villa

• Norwegian_geordie

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM

I Think Joey was in his full right to argue with Williamson, allthough I didn’t see the incident. Mike just doesn’t seem to be premier class. Struggling to work the defensive line and does wierd things. He doesn’t seem to know when to clear the ball.
    We need another centerback.

I also feel that Tiote was missing, if he was there it would have given Nolan more opportunities to go forward. Smith and Guthrie are not pacy enough. Alltough Guthrie did ok – but nothing special.

I also feel Best stayed on to long. Bring on Ranger or Loven when Sunderland is looking for a goal, A pacy striker would have forced them further back, because the can’t stand to high. Best and Ameobi doesn’t have the pace. I’m also a bit disapointed we didn’t work more balls against Ferdinand when he picked up the injury. Ha was limping out there and a running ball with Ameobi would have secured a second.

Joey was good – again – alltough he missed some of his usual good crossings. And I think we all miss Carroll. He would have taken out two defenders and made room for others.

All in all a decent performance by NUFC – should have had the three points.

HWTL!

• Davies

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I thought alsmost every player gave a good account of themselves yesterday. Our back for were excellent. Colo, Enrique and Williamson were all first class, as was Simpson, apart from the odd stray pass.

I hate to admit it, but I was pleased to see Smudge limp off. It was nice for Guthrie to get a run out, though I wouldn’t have minded seeing Gosling coming on instead, rather than in injury time.

I’d have taken a point before the match, so I can’t complain too much about the late goal.

Considering the fact that some of our best players were missing yesterday, I do take some encouragement from the fixture.

• AngerOfTheNorth

Jan 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Was it Williamson who gave the ball away just outside our box in the build up to their goal? That was a pretty serious screw-up…

Either way, despite the nature of the equaliser, I’ve had taken 1-1 when you bear in mind our injury list, first season back up, playing at theirs etc…

6-2 over two legs. I’ll take that too!

• BarcelonaMag

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:14 PM

We were easily the better team yesterday and controlled the game pretty comfortably. Having said that, the quality of football from both teams was low. It was all schoolboy boot-and-rush stuff and there was hardly a move consisting of more than three consecutive passes. I think we’re starting to lose the nice tight passing game that we’d developed under Hughton.