Danny Simpson Still To Prove Himself At Newcastle

Newcastle have some solid characters at the Tyneside club these days, which is a little different from our relegation season two years ago.

Danny Simpson challenges Darren Bent last Sunday

Danny Simpson, who turned 24 earlier this month,  has often waxed lyrical about the Newcastle club since he first arrived on loan a year last August from Manchester United.

And it was a year ago that he made the move to Newcastle permanent, and although he didn’t get the wages he wanted at that time, he still signed along the dotted line, because he just wanted to play for the Newcastle club, and we always like to see that.

We don’t want mercenaries at the Newcastle club, who are just on Tyneside for the money, and we’ve certainly has a lot of them in the past.

Danny is now on the path to prove to a lot of people that he is indeed a top class right back, and since he returned from his ankle injury earlier this season, he’s looked good, and is still improving in that position.

Danny is also down to earth,  and he still thinks there’s a long way to go, as he said today:

“I still don’t feel like I’ve established myself in the Premier League.” “This is my first proper season and it’s too early for me to be saying I’m a top flight defender now. I still need to improve and there are things I know I must to work on.”

“If I’m still in the team and we’re still in this division at the end of the season, maybe then I can start to believe I’m a decent player at this level because there were definitely questions marks about me at the start of the season.”

“I played injured for a lot of last season with an ankle problem and it was hard because I knew I wasn’t doing as well as I could. Some people were probably thinking I wasn’t good enough for the Premier League if I was struggling in the Championship.”

“Thankfully I had an operation in the summer and I’ve come through with flying colors. It’s the first time I’ve been a regular starter at this level, it’s also the first time I’ve been settled in years and I think you play your best football when you’re life off the pitch is good as well.”

Danny should get better and better as he gets more playing time at England’s top level, and indeed he was so impressive earlier this season that Fabio Capello had him watched and he was said to be close to getting an England call-up.

Andy Carroll needs somebody at Newcastle to accompany him on those future England call-ups, so Danny could do a job there,  although of course we also have Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan, who are good enough right now to be in the England squad.

Things certainly seem to be  improving on Tyneside this season.

And a win this afternoon against Spurs will certainly bring back that feel-good factor to Newcastle, and we can all celebrate for a full 10 days, before our next game at Fulham in 11 days time.

Howay The Lads!!

• RooneyToons

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM

1st

Wheeeeeey ohhhhh

• Herbies Bonnet

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Hi guys, new to posting on the blog but have read comments from you guys for a few years! Does anyone feel like we are on the verge of something big? Providing we hold on to all our best players we are only a couple of additions away from having a very good team. Collo, Jose, Toite, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Carroll…not to mention an improving Danny Simpson…In fact our defence is looking the best it has for years…I just love watching Jose, If he leaves I would probably go into a deep depression. So, my point was that assuming we get through this season…few more wins should see you through I predict a bright future and a return of the good times at NUFC…

• RooneyToons

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Danny has come on a lot from last season, especially recently… Not spectacular but very consistent. I no longer think we need a better right back although he can look slightly suspect when being run at (Blackburn at home anyone).
    If he carries on the way he is he’s gotta get an England call up.

Who knows He may even get in the next one with Carrol, Nolan and Barton 🙂 ha
    What do you guys think?

• Herbies Bonnet

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:01 AM

As much as I love Barton and Nolan, of footballers of course, I just cant see Fabio bringing them into the squad. Carroll on the other hand is in like flynn and assuming he is consistant will be englands number nine for the next 10 years.
    I think barton would be more suited to play for England than Nolan…I dunno, I hope neither get called up to keep them fit for Newcastle…they are both edging towards their twilight tears.

• dingotoon

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM

If Simpson keeps improving he will definitely be a chance with RB always being a problem for England. Hopefully Kev gets a call up as he deserves one but I am not holding my breathe with Joey as his past will always go against him!!

• BonVoyageBenny

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I’m loving the way our teams been brought up. I’m not a fan of the way Arsenal or Man City are run, with all these foreign players, whatever happened to English players at English clubs. I feel that Newcastle, along with a few others in the top flight, still stick to keeping the heritage. With Harper, Simpson, R&S Taylor, Barton, Nolan, Routledge, Guthrie and Carroll…

Also, just thinking about it, anyone know about the 6+5 rule that was going to be implemented? Is it still on, or has it been scrapped?

• craigcoozy

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Ricardo fuller has arrived in newcastle !!

But relax room gettin paid for by safc! Lol

• davybtoon

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM

anyone seen the seb larrson agent interview today saying theyve been in talks with us up till this wenesday when birmingham decided to pull the plug on the deal

• Sav

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:25 AM

His positional play is still far too suspect, lets players get into shooting positions on the 18 yard line, marks space instead of his man…England? Come on, Ed.
    Still he’s a good lad and still young so hopefully Pardew can make something of him. we’ve seen with Enrique it takes time to develop as a defender – even he is far from the finished article.

• ALEK mkd NUFC

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM

great player great addition to our squad hes been!hope he can still improve and became great right back for us!!!!GO AHEAD DANNY!looking forward today to the game!lets spurs suffer pleaseeeeeeeee!!!love ya NUFC

• Robby Bobson

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Said this last season Simpson does need to work on when people run at him. Jerome Thomas destroyed him last season and this season, but hes good going forward and good in the air.

Wouldnt call him a weak link or a bad player but he is probably the player with the least quality in our first 11, but shows how good our 1st 11 is.

And Herbies Bonnet…yes i agree I think we have 3-4 players (barton, enrique, carroll (tiote?)) and potentislly ben arfa who are really top quality and wouldnt swap them for anyone in their roles this season and some investment in the right areas could see us really push on.

• murvar

Jan 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Danny has done much better this season than I had expected, and with quality coaching so he reads defensive situations better, he could be improve even more. His crossing is excellent and he seems to link well with Barton going forward. He got skinned by Bale at WHL so it will be interested to see how he fares this afternoon.

• G

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Sav @ 9. That was certainly part of Simmo’s problem in the past, but I haven’t seen too much of that this season, or just before he picked up the injury. Personally, I don’t think Simpson has anything to prove here.