Pardew Close To Signing Top Newcastle Player To New Contract

An interesting comment from Alan Pardew after the game today – when he was talking to Sky Sports.

Great shot of Alan and Harry before the game today

Alan Pardew, though disappointed with only a draw today, after another good second half display by Newcastle, was asked if he was satisfied with the current squad he has, and this is what he said:

“I’m pretty close to securing another player of our squad and that will be a big bonus for the club,”

“So I’ve concentrated on that, if one becomes available I think can help then great, but the squad players for me are doing terrific.”

“There is a good feeling in the group and good strength.”

We have to hope that player will be Joey Barton, because Joey had another very good game today, and he’s said many times he would like to see out his career on Tyneside.

Yes, it’s been terrible the way we’ve given up 4 points in injury time these last two games, but that also masks the fact we were the better side in successive games against top six sides.

So that cannot be too bad, to look on the positive side of things.

We have to hope the new contract is for Joey Barton, who has been tremendous for the club this season, and then the next in line will be Jose Enrique.   And hopefully we’ll get some luck in these games soon  – before this season comes to an end.

• GeordieGerman

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Joey was giving the Ref a bollocking before the game started.

• GeordieGerman

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Oh yeah, hope he signs.

• G-Man

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Excellent performance today, only let down by our championship forwards, shame…

• craigcoozy

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:39 PM

i would sign enrique up before barton like sorry Ed ! both our backbone but jose is jus amazing every game and has came out and said he wants to end his career here ! plus for all we knw barton could go off rails any given minute !

• Edd Case

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM

So, what can you read into what Pardew is saying….?

Easy…

We aint signing NO ONE!

• BiffBaffBoff

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Guys I posted a link yesterday with a football agent saying NUFC are close to making a big signing, I then posted a comment from that same agent saying it’ll be announced early next week and this was also backed up by a person from sky sports on his twitter account, add that together with that pardew is saying here and I think we are really close to making a signing that’ll be a boost to our squad, hopefully.

• Marzy

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM

As much as i would like J Barton to extend his contract, I would have to agree with Craigcoozy with the Bull (JE), he is bar far 1 of my favourite players & a consistent performer week in week out!.
    Great performance today from the entire team, I put a bet on at 1-1 so im in the ££.

• Toonmania

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Yeah we are close to a big signing the only problem is it’s one of our own players.
    we won’t sign amyone else

• magpie9

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM

@Edd to be honest I’m not bothered about signing anyone until the summer. We’ve proved that we can play good enough to compete for a Europa league spot today, and that’s without Carroll and Ben arfa playing.

• cupiddstunt

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Craigcoozy I would be inclined to agree I think Jose has been immense for the toon since he has found his feet,
    he has to be in with a shout as being the best left back around at the moment.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:05 PM

@BiffBaffBoff – I really hope you’re right as we desperately need a striker / fast poacher and a winger. LB and RB can wait until summer. Right now we seriously need more strength in those two areas.

• RossGellar

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Three signings next week.

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:08 PM

I really hope its Jose Enrique! He is just absolutely fabulous! Love him so much. He loves this club and said I want to stay here for the rest of my career. Always consistent, gives his best every game, and is one of the most important players to our squad. Really hope he signs a 6 year contract.

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM

RossGellar

3 my ass!

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:10 PM

@ craigcoozy – Yeah same here. I was thinking the same thing while I was reading this article. Both are essential to our success but Jose’s consistency wins it for me too. Barton is having the season of his life mind. Both should be signed to long term deals, but I think that is not of huge concern as neither of them has ever mentioned leaving, only the opposite. Therefore as we desperately need a striker and a winger I would prioritize my time and effort in achieving just that. After the January window I would concentrate on what we already got. It’s straight common sense and it pisses me off every time I hear Pardew going on about securing the players we have here already. Is this just a publicity stunt to keep us fans happy as he knows no new players will be arriving??????????????

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM

I tell you guys now that this guy is going to be one of the best defensive midfielders in the world one day. He is F*******G Brilliant! An really good player, and almost wins every dead ball. If we are building for the future right now than tie him up as soon as possible. Him and Tiote together in mid I just can’t even imagine!

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:20 PM

I tell you guys now that this guy is going to be one of the best defensive midfielders in the world one day. He is Freekin’ Brilliant! An really good player, and almost wins every dead ball. If we are building for the future right now than tie him up as soon as possible. Him and Tiote together in mid I just can’t even imagine!

• Marzy

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Securing long term contracts of 2 or 3 first team players is very important to us, would like us to continue buying young players who can push the starting 11 even more.

• Edd Case

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:30 PM

It’s all well and good securig our top players on longer contracts BUT we desperately need another winger.

We’re ok in the keeper dept, defence, centre mid and even up top but we really, really need at least one new top winger.

• greek toon

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Baro- Kyriakos Papadopoulos is a CB, not a DM, but he is a great prospect for the future, he was a rock against spurs in a pre season friendly when he was just 16 years, old and was a 1 man show this year when schalke played benfica in the champions league. He would be a great CB for the future, would make Kadar look championship.

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Kyriakos Papodopoulos vs Tottenham at just age of 16!

• ashington-geordie

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Anyone know why Stephan Ireland wasn’t in Villa’s squad today? Is he injured?

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I think this is like the 10th time COUGHTOFFSIDE.COM have published this page linking us with Niko Kranjcar.

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:39 PM

ashington-geordie

I think he is injured bcuz he wasn’t in Villa’s squad in their last game vs Brum.

• pie man

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:46 PM

What does it matter if we “tie up” these star players? Contracts these days aren’t worth the paper they are written on and they’l probably be shipped out at the end end of the season anyway with all the proceeds going on a new sweatshop in indonesia and a few spins on fatso’s roulette table. We need new players now!!! Perch on for Guthrie, centre midfield! I rest my case!!

• greek toon

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM

this is a guy we need for the future, fast, strong on the ball young plays on both wings and attacking mid.

• baro

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM

greek toon

I know a lot about Greek players and the future is…

THE BEST ONE IS SOTIRIS NINIS!
    Kostas Mitroglou
    Giannis Fetfatzidis
    Kyriakos Papadopoulos
    Vassilios Koutsianikoulos
    Cris Mavrias

• connor_nufc

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Ireland is dung

• connor_nufc

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM

There is a reason y he doesnt get on for villa

• geordieforeva

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM

@greek toon Fetfatzidis has a Euro 12.5million release clause in his contract. We will never be able to sign him unless Ashley wins the lottery.

• ganiyu

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM

newcastle can make it to europe this year.its looking possible as i av seen so far just added peter beardsly on fb nice lad.

• belfastgeordie87

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:16 PM

no way in a million years are squad could cope with a european campaign,thursday sunday,thursday sunday constant,look at the injuries we have picked up after the christmas period,wed need to sign about 7 players in the summer lol and that will never happen

• North Atlantic Magpie

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Shola was so lazy in the second half. Lovenkrands is one of our best players when he’s played right and he’s running his socks off.

• ganiyu

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:37 PM

andy carroll and a new striker needs to save us from shola and clowns.

• bri_2k4

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I didn’t get to see the game today as I was in
    London gutted lever missed a game yet nd what are the chances the weekend I’m in london we play a london team !!! I don’t even no if we played well or not but from reveiws seems like we did in the second half I think the best move would be to oust shola nd bring in any one who is worth a shot some one older if need be but shola is shite seem him play all season nd every game is the same he’s lazy and gets tierd straight away I even risk going 4411 with nolan up top nd play tiote nd barton in centre nd benny one wing nd guti\dan on the other side what yous think ???

• Brutooon

Jan 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Go sign LULAKU (won’t happen tho) and he will show Ameobi what skills he missing the last 10 years

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM

@bri_2k4 – Anything is better than Shola from what I see from him every season. The guy just makes me sick every time he’s on the field. I get into a fit every time he takes a touch because that’s usual all he needs to mess up great build up play. Guiterrez is on a similar level the difference is Guti breaks his legs running up and down for us and is slightly more technically gifted. And don’t get me started on Smith and Perch.

• supervil

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Give it a rest the lot of you’s.

Shola was canny today. He did have one terrible bit of play, I’ll admit. But on the whole, he did okay.

We were playing SPURS man… whatever you think of them, they’re well ahead of us. AND we bossed them. Modric and VDV are amazing players. Barton and Nolan ran themselves into the ground, but they competed against them.

Jonas though… ffffffflippin’ eck. He does nowt. He needs to learn how to cross the ball. He’s useless otherwise.

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I missed todays game but from what I see the lads did us proud just not the usual suspects ie. Shola Ameobi. This guy must be the biggest suck-up to a manager if ever I saw one. The amount of times he’s cheated death amazes me to this day. Maybe just maybe Pardew will come t his senses and release this clown and provide us with a proper ‘goalscorer’! Before som1 even mentions it- Yes Shola has scored some vital goals for us but a) It’s his job, he should do that in most games, b) it’s not good enough for this level and not good enough for 90% of Newcastle fans. Ship Strola Out Now!!!!!