Steve Harper Happy With 8 Points From 4 Games In 2011

Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper, who had another good game for Newcastle yesterday, refuses to get carried away by the negativity surrounding the Newcastle side conceding two injury time equalizers in the last two games.

Steve Harper – pleased with 8 points from 4 games

Life’s really tough, and it seems that football can be that way too, because but for two injury time equalizers, Newcastle could have won all their four games in 2011 with 12 points, 8 goals scored and none conceded.

But you don’t always get what you deserve in life, or in football.

So Newcastle fans will just have to hope the luck balances itself out before the end of the season, because Newcastle have had no luck – with the emphasis on no, so far this year.

And veteran Steve Harper, who turns 36 in March, is fairly upbeat about the last four games:

“Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in 2011, four games unbeaten, eight points – a lot of people would have settled for that.”

“It’s all right thinking what might have been, but you can do that and you can bash your head against the wall with football.”

“But eight points and unbeaten in 2011, hopefully we can continue that for a long time.”

Hindsight is what football analysts do in the studio, when they analyze what a player has done in a game, watch how it came out – and then use all their great experience – and tell them what they should have done.

And guess what?    They are never wrong – by definition – and that doesn’t sound like too bad a living either.

Tottenham are a good side, and they showed it yesterday,  because when they went behind, they went all out for the equalizer, and whatever happened in the game – you have to admit it was just a terrific second half to watch.

And it was good to hear Harry Redknapp compliment the Newcastle side, when he said following the game,  that the Magpies are a dangerous side this season – that’s always good to hear – and it may even be true.

Steve continued:

“We got the goal and probably tried too hard to get the second one.

“We went a bit gung-ho and got carried away by the crowd, going down the bank trying to get the second goal.

“We did create the chances to get a second goal, but when you lose your shape a little bit and get a little bit ragged and end up playing football with a team of Tottenham’s quality.”

“Unfortunately the sucker punch is always a possibility.”

We have to be satisfied with what we have, rather than being dissatisfied with what we haven’t got.

That’s what I keep telling my kids, and it may just be true in this case too. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

• costello91

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Hats off roultledge, a joy to watch you today, a pity its not in the black and white stripes tho!! fair play

• newcastle10

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM

routledge scored for qpr

• newcastle10

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM

adel tarabbt has a quality cross

• gorskino10

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Routledge just scored nice finish, looks to enjoy his football its a shame we let him on loan tbh :(, we need his as an Impact player like a Aaron Lennon/Walcott type of player that changes the game! stupid we let him go for what reason? why let a winger go when we only now have 1 winger in Jonas? doesnt make much sense!

• Toonarmy1993

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

more proof that hes nothing more than a championship player!

• Toonarmy1993

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

*routledge that is

• Toonboy_84

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Hopefully Wayne comes back a better player

• newcastle10

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I think we should of tried to play him up frot

• newcastle10

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

front

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Routledge showed today that he’s a championship player at best. I hope QPR buy him. Now we just need to get rid of Jonas ‘One good game every 6 months’ Guttierez and I’ll be happy

• stuckdownsouth

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Wayne Routledge always looked good in the Championship. I think to compare him to Lennon or Walcott is a bridge too far in my opinion.

Goodluck to the lad, hop QPR sign him at the end of the season because I just don’t think he is Prem class.

• toonry13

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:28 PM

any idea what was on the dvds that asprilla gave beardsley?

• geordiedownsouth

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

cann anyone tell me the name of that lad on twitter who posts nufc transfers thought it was carrow7 but it not anyone help

• connor_nufc

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Irish-toon jonas plays well most games he was man of the match yesterday

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Cwarr07 I think.

• dunzer1990

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Yeah Irish toon what are you on about?the guy gives 100% every time he plays he is black and white through and through just because he may be lacking in the goals department doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player and his link up play with the Bull on the left is some of the best in the Prem so pipe down!

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Guttierez crosses like my nan. I’ll admit he had a good game yesterday, but he’s innocuous most weeks, he’s pushed off the ball too easily, get rid.

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Connor, he may have been your mana of the match but he certaintly wasn’t mine

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Hey! JONAS is top class. He gives all his heart playing in black and white every week. I agree that we should play him on the right wing.

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Dunzer, even Fab has scored more goals than Jonas, his crossing is abysmal most weeks and he spends most of the game on his arse. Every time somebody makes the slightets contact you can bet your life he’ll end up on the floor I’d even go as far as to say he’s a diver

• dunzer1990

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Well admittedly Colo had to be motm he was superb but Jonas is tidy energetic and gets into dangerous aread we need a winger who can take defenders on Routledge was awful at tryin to get to the byline although when he did his delivery was better than Jonas’ but I’d never criticise a player with Gutierrez’s workrate

• nobby sol

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Ohara wants out of spurs,

also suarez wants a move to england, just putting it out there.

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Jonas’s workrate, don’t make me laugh. If you want to talk about workrate take a look at Barton or Nolan or The Bull

• dunzer1990

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Funny enough I never thought that supporters expected their own players to be competing to see who has the best workrate. Preferably I’d like to see all 11 players play with the workrate of Jose, Barton and Nolan and Jonas is up there with them guys for workwate. He ain’t a diver he’s our player so quit with this drivel of slaggin’ your own on this blog cus if you gonna be doing that here you’d do it on the terraces and we don’t need that kind of negativity.

• BiffBaffBoff

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM

@Post 24 – exactly, anyone reading this would think we were bottom of the table and have the worlds worst team… We’re 7th after just getting promoted, just enjoy it, we’re playing well and just played 2 of the top 6 and played better than both!

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Just cos he’s our player doesn’t mean we can’t have an opinion on whether I think he’s any good or not. That’s whole idea of a blog. Just cos he plays for us doesn’t mean I’m going to think the sun shines out of his arse. Grow up and get an opinion of your own rather than follow the rest of the sheep

• GAZ09

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:18 PM

7th place in the league and people still moaning about the team. Give the lads credit we are doing way better than anyone would have guessed. I remember all the talk anything better than 17th would be an achievement.

• BiffBaffBoff

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Also unbeaten in the league this year! If we can get past the Arsenal game unbeaten I think we could go on a run looking at our fixtures, whether that’d be draws or wins tho remains to be seen but points are points and we only need 10 to reach the magical 40 point total

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM

We’re doing a lot better this season then I could have hoped for, but it still doesn’t me wanting to see the team improved. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m expressing mine, which is the whole idea of theblog

• geordiedownsouth

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:36 PM

geordie gerrard thanks but that isnt right does anyone else have any idea on that carrows name on twitter is

• blaydonraces69

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Steve Harper is a legend !
    however, I think he should retire at the end of next season and become a goalkeeping coach at the club. Foster has to be No1 nxt season, harps backup, krull loaned out to a top ccc/spl side get some first team exp nd come back a better player same as FF.

• coolcatcarter89

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

My opinion is that Irish-Toon doesn’t know what he’s talking about, just my opinion.

For the record, the only player who can be labelled with inertia is Strolla, he just displays his lethargy time and time again yet he’s still picked!!

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:41 PM

it is cwarris07

• dave 1961

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I hate pardew just listening to an interview he gave on the radio on the way to the game made my blood boil I just hate the cretin and can’t wait until the day he’s sacked, he just a creepy hanger on and clueless, his subs were to blame for the 2 points lost, to bring Purch on for Guthrie just shows how pathetic he is, he’s just a lump of blubber with a fcb hand up his rear. I can’t remember hating a nufc employee to this extent before; I did not like sourness and pardews about one level below him. I am patiently waiting for the three cockney stooges to get a one way ticket back home.

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Coolcat, that’s just you’re opinion 🙂

• Irish-Toon

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:48 PM

But it won’t make me change my mind about Jonas

• Mac

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Dave 1961 are u kidding? We’re playing some good stuff at the minute. Perch had to come on because Guthrie is was injured.

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM

dave 1961 shut up you fe***n tool

• Sinner

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Damn,Blackburn leading atm.
    Hoping for a draw between them.

• hitman

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:57 PM

dave give ya heed a shake

1 2 3 6