Pardew Waxes Lyrical Over Newcastle Cult Hero Coloccini

One of the things that’s always great to see at Newcastle, are players who love to play for the famous black and whites.

Fab Coloccini – molested by Newcastle players after scoring great goal

And one of those players is Argentine center-back Fab Coloccini,  who has been in sparkling form over the last several games for Newcastle United, and put in another immaculate display on Saturday afternoon, against top side Spurs.

Oh, yes, and he also scored Newcastle’s goal with a wonderful piece of technique, when he shot home in one movement, having skilfully evaded Alan Hutton, who now seems back to his best.

And it was Coloccini’s 100th appearance for the Geordies,  and he was 29 years old on Saturday too – so a wonderful goal was so fitting,  it’s just a pity it wasn’t the winner.

But enough of this negativity. 😀

What a terrific player this lad has looked this year – and even at Stevenage he worked his socks off  in that terrible loss – and Fab turned up for  the game – unlike some other Newcastle players that day.

Sorry to bring Stevenage up this Monday morning.

Pardew talked about Fabricio this morning:

“He was brilliant. He is a smiley guy, comes in, does his work and he is one of the latest to leave the training ground every day.”

“He has not really got an offensive word to say to anyone, he gives everyone support and to be a senior international that he is, from what I have seen he was very unlucky to miss out on the World Cup.”

“He was outstanding against a team like Tottenham who pay all that money for  their players, I thought he was the best player on the pitch. I can only go on what I see and I have had some good center-halves in my time,  and he is right there up with the top group.”

“He is different. He has a controlled way about him. He is probably the most calm center half I have had and I like calm center halves. I am pleased about that.”

Good words from Alan, and we have to think he’s been both surprised and delighted at some of the excellent players he has inherited at Newcastle, not to mention the tremendous team spirit that exists at the club.

And the man himself has said he is both surprised and humbled to hear such a glowing endorsement from his new manager.

This is what the cult hero said this morning:

“It was one of the best goals I’ve ever scored, it was certainly different. I normally score a header or a simple push over the line. It was a great moment for me.”

“The reaction of the fans was amazing. To have 50,000 people singing a song about me is unbelievable.”   “I’m not from this country, my family are in Argentina, but I feel the love of the fans. I feel really good here. It is the best I’ve felt in my career. It was my birthday and that was the perfect present.”

“I am really pleased to hear what the manager has said. I am calm, I’m quite quiet really, but sometimes you need to be like that as a defender. I like to try and anticipate what is going to happen in the game.”

“For the manager to describe me as one of the best defenders he has worked with is good. He has a lot of experience and he watches a lot of center-backs, so I’m proud to hear that.”

After Coloccini’s first season,  many Newcastle fans were doubtful whether Coloccini was a good £10M signing from Spanish club Deportivo, but we noticed their fans at the time were very upset about him leaving – and that’s always a good sign.

But since Newcastle were relegated 18 months ago, he’s been one of the star players at Newcastle, and he’s such a great guy too, it’s hard not to love this Argie.

He’s becoming a cult hero on Tyneside – and long may it continue!

• Magpietillidie22

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Its unbelievable how hes turned his career around, turning into one of the best cbs around

• Edd Case

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Love him.
    He took a bit of time in settling but he’s top class.

Best defender we’ve had in years.

I only wish we’d have kept Woody and that he’d have stayed fit because Woody and Colo at the back would have been awesome.

• expatgeordie

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM

He’s made me eat my words in his 1st season he looked more like Sideshow Bob than an International footballer, this season however he’s been outstanding.

• Davies

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

I think a lot of us knew he’d come good. A lot of overseas players take a season to settle (just look at Vidic!), but he came with a good reputation and a work ethic that had seen him play every minute of Deportivo’s fixtures the season before.

I’m not so surprised he’s turned out to be as good as he has, but I am delighted by it. I’m also very pleased that he didn’t turn out to be another Boumssong.

• Bucks mag

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Davies – yeah true add the likes of Malouda and Evra to that list as well, I was at the game on Saturday and when we started singing the Coloccini song in the first half during a lull he gave a cheeky wave to the crowd! Class

• bazzer

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

What song was being sung about colo? I didnt hear it.

• spanishtoon

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

http://www.postmatchpint.com is looking for football writers with knowledge of north east football.
    get on there and send robbie davids a message if you´re interested….great opportunity to get your name out and about there…5,000 readers a day

• davybtoon

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:31 AM

bucks mag – yea that was class when he waved to the crowd everyone when nuts were i stand when he acknowledged the song

• dublin mag steve

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:27 PM

it could have all been so different for fab cos as usual every defender that plays for our club gets scrutinised to the maximum, for as long as i can remember our defence has been the laughing stock of the premier league and i think it could just turn out that getting relegated may have been the best thing that ever happened to us between the lads regrouping out of the limelight and some excellent man management from CHRIS HOUGHTON we for the first time have a defence that gets talked about for all the right reasons and fabricio is a major part of that well done lads keep up the good work.

• jesus was a geordie

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM

bazzer – THE Coloccini song:

Oh Coloccini you are the love of my life,
    Oh Coloccini I’d let you sh@g my wife,
    Oh Coloccini, I want curly hair too!

As for him coming good, I’ll be honest, out of the 2 foreign defenders we had I had more faith in Enrique than Colo…As it is, they’ve both become absolute rocks at the back AND both genuinely seem to have taken to this club.

It’s becoming a cliche to say it, but that relegation was truly the best thing to happen to this club!

• GEORDIE69

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Coloccini is a legend! Hope he has made plenty of people change there opinion of him. The blog used to full of people saying how bad he was. He is one of our best players. Long may it continue. Vote the Perm

• Sav

Jan 24, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Pards is forgetting that Colo was certainly the most expensive centre half on show on Saturday – but evertything else was bang on.