Alan Pardew has talked about the transfer window today, from Newcastle’s base out in Portugal, and he says the deals will probably go through in the last day or two of this transfer window.
Alan Pardew – we want two players in
One of the things Newcastle have been great at, over the last 18 months, is getting some great deals done.
Mike Williamson for £1M, Dan Gosling for nothing, Tiote for around £3.5M, and Ben Arfa for around £5M are great buys for the Newcastle club.
Mike Ashley has also insisted that when Newcastle buy a player, the total fee is paid up front and not spread over a number of years as a capital expense, which was done when Freddy Shepherd was Chairman.
That’s a much better way to do things because when Ashley arrived, Newcastle were still paying out money for players signed years previously and some had even already left the club.
And it seems that Newcastle now want two players in – but their best deal will probably be done when push comes to shove in the last day or two of the January window.
Pardew confirmed this morning that the Magpies are still hoping to bring in two players before Monday’s deadline :
“We are still just looking at making offers and making calls,” “There will be some activity probably in the last few days of the window and I hope we will be part of that.”
“As much as we want a player – and we actually want two with Wayne Routledge going – it has to be right. We will not rush into anything.”
“That is the most important thing, and we are still looking at our squad as well.”
“Andy Carroll hopefully won’t be too long and Cheick Tiote will be coming back soon so that will give us a big boost.”
It’s perfectly fine to wait until near the end of the window to get a better deal, and it seems that Villa’s Stephen Ireland is still in the frame and who the other player may be – we have no idea.
It’s unlikely to be Sebastian Larsson, but this player may be a target for Newcastle this summer.
Exactly what is really happening with Seb is hard to fathom, since his agent said last Saturday that Newcastle were still negotiating with the player last Wednesday, until Birmingham said he was no longer for sale in January.
But the Blackburn manager Steve Kean also said a few days back on Sky Sports, that they had agreed a fee with Birmingham for the player before the plug was pulled, so which club is leading the chase, we really don’t know.
So unless Seb signs a new contract at Birmingham, which has to be unlikely, the 25 year-old will be a free agent in the summer.
Seb Larsson for nothing would be a good deal to start off the summer transfer window for Newcastle.