Sky Sports’ Keys Thinking About Resigning – He Should – Today

We see that Andy Gray was sacked yesterday for the sexist remarks (cira 19060s) he made about assistant referee Sian Massey, who was helping to referee the Wolves vs Liverpool game on Saturday, and we thought she did a good job at the time.

Sian Massey – she obviously knows a lot about the offside rule 😀

It was the first time I had seen a  female referee assistant, at least in the UK,  but called my wife over to watch the TV, as they went through a close offside call in the first half, to see if Liverpool’s first goal was offside, and of course Sian  got it absolutely right.

But we see so many of the referee assistants these days get the offside calls all wrong,  because  for one reason or another, when the attacking player is level, they usually flag for offside, which of course it isn’t.

And which players are  interfering with play or not these days, is an absolute and complete joke, which I’ve mentioned before,a nd the law needs to be completely clarified with examples being given.

On Saturday it seemed that some decent progress was being made, and it will not be too long before a female referees a PL game – that’s next – an absolute certainty.

But of course we were just appalled at the off microphone comments of Sky Sports commentators Andy Gray and Richard Keys. What planet are these two living on?

If that had been over here in the US the only difference would have been the two of them would have been sacked – immediately.

It’s happened a number of times here when commentators say stupid things when they think their mikes are off, and there’s almost zero tolerance for that nonsense.

And this stuff about Andy getting his lawyers to sue Sky Sports – he just doesn’t get it does he?   He thinks people are against him and obviously still doesn’t get it.

And if they say this kind of stuff to each in the studio, what are they saying behind closed doors?

And news today that Richard Keys is thinking of resigning  – our advice to him –  do it – now.

This is what Keys said today:

“I have to seriously consider resigning. My mate has been sacked. The view of the majority is that he should have been sacked. We got it wrong. Bad.”

But then the interesting comment Richard made, when asked what were the reasons he shouldn’t go, Richard replied:

“None I suppose, but again that is for others to make a decision.” “I have got to ask myself, do I want to carry on without him?”

It’s nothing to do with whether he wants to carry on without Andy – Sky Sports needs to get some additional guts and do the right thing – and fire the guy right now – or  Richard needs to get some additional courage together and do the right thing – and resign too.

In today’s world of multiple cultures and  multiple races all living together, and females rightly doing what men can do in almost every walk of life, there is absolutely no room for this old fashioned way of thinking – it’s over.

There’s no room for this previous macho view of the world,  and when you get down to it – we’re all the same under all the different masks, that simply make us look different.

I get notes from all over the world from men and woman of all different faiths, creeds and colors,  and  I’m proud they read this blog.

• boater

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:28 PM

If owt, he was ringleader – so can’t see how Grey can go and he stays.. especially if you look at all the other stuff doing the rounds – ‘would you smash it’ etc.

• munch27

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Yeh Keys do one then the most Anti Toon pair ever won’t have to infect us with their vile and hateful ways.

• baro

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM

LOL! I hate Andy Gray so so much! Glad he got off of skysports…

• Flop

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Agree with boater, if they’re going to sack Gray, Keys has got to go too surely. I don’t think there is anyone as anti Newcastle as Richard Keys

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:42 PM

PC brigade gone mad!!!!
    Nowt any of us blokes haven’t said in our times I’m sure!!

• Thump

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Gray was sacked because of a second offence telling a lass to “stick her microphone down her pants”, presumably so it will look like a penis and she’ll then have a ‘right’ to talk about football.

Both Keys and Gray deserve everything they get. Sian had an amazing game, if not the best I’ve seen for a lines(wo)man, and did not deserve the abuse she ultimately received. “The game’s gone mad” because a female is officiating? Ridiculous.

He should resign and should be deeply ashamed of himself.

• murvar

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:45 PM

They deserve to be sacked; but what I find interesting is that Sky would have kept Gray if they really wanted to; the fuss would have soon died down with a lesser punishment. I think the fact they sacked him shows that they actually were glad of an excuse to get rid. Why else keep Keys? His comments were as bad. And now he seems to be portraying himself as some kind of victim, just like Andy “Take a bow, son” Gray.

• Davies

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

I’ve never liked these two, particularly Andy Gray. Can’t stand the bloke.

I also love the fact that the ignorant dick was caught saying ” someone go down there and explain the offside rule to her”, when in actual fact, she’d got it bang on and he’d got it wrong. Hopefully, he’ll stop ruining Fifa for me now as well.

That said, there’s a case for not having women in the men’s game, but there’s absolutely no reason why this should extend to the assistant referees or the ref.

Women’s football is, I’m sorry to say, not for me, however, I would fight to the death to defend their right to play it. I’ve watched it a few times, and whilst female footballers are just as physical with each other and committed in the tackle, I find it a bit like watching netball. The womens clubs aren’t getting either funding or the attention that football always has.

On a side note, Newcastle United are in a minority of clubs that do not fund their female counterpart’s team.

• Thump

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:49 PM

@Angryman: there’s a difference between having a laugh with your mates in a pub and being completely genuine and almost venomous whilst you’re under the assumption your mic is off.

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Blimey, are you a time-traveller, Ed?

Quote: remarks (cira 19060s)

• lou9brasil

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM

So how many of u guys on here have never had a joke with your mates about women? How many of us have recieved a txt msg about women being dull and stupid and even worse and sent the msg on the ones who say they haven’t are probably lying…. Unfortunately football is a sport that is sexist, homophobic and a number of other things that’s just the way it is.. Don’t care if I sound old fashioned or whatever else people wanna call me but that’s just the way it is this ha been blown way out of proportion by a bunch of fcking hypocrits who need to get a life!!!

• magpie999

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Good Riddance Andy Gray you toon hating muppet hope Keys #ucks off with you.

Bring Ant and Dec in to replace them 🙂

• Thump

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM

@lou: Read my last message.

• Thump

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM

lol just got sent this text:

Lineswoman Sian Massey’s new nickname is “Just For Men”. She was only used once and now the Gray is gone!

• Lyons

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM

i think all refs and lines*women she all be women but they have to wear tight shorts and bikini tops! 😛

Gray definately needed to go anyway talks so much shit then says whatever the outcome of said topic is what he said it would be even when it wasnt…TWAT

• GeordieGerman

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Dead honest if Gray is sacked, Keys has to go to. For me Keys was the instigator and Gray was just going along, being one of the lads who hasn’t done that?

Problem now is that this has now opened a tin of worms. How long will it be before women are playing in the PL? I think it may have taken 10-20 years, but now I think 5-10.

Power to women… !

• GAZ09

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Latest transfer link is Adrian Mutu!

• Mags

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Good riddance to Andy Gray, detest the bloke and it is no more than he deserves.

I just hope that Richard Keys follows suit p.d.q. because he truly is a nasty arrogant piece of work.

A great and true saying is:- be nice to people on your way up the ladder because sure as hell you will meet them again on the way down.

• Dax Trajero

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM

two words “OFF MICROPHONE”

These comments are nothing we don’t hear everyday either in the pub or with friends.

Feel sorry for the two of them. No big deal. Get over it.

• tom tomb

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM

I am glad Andy Gray has been sacked, after his ignorant sexist comments on TV!
    Sky Sports should set an example and give his job to a female presenter!
    Preferably one with really big tits!

• spanishtoon

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

• Lyons

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

GAZ09 you the one who said adam johnson is in newcastle today an all? I heard Shearer is coming out of retirement so he can play with Andy C

• Lyons

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

i saw him near newcastle so he must be! FLOL

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Well to me …. Woman in football? Bit of a gray area that!!

Just bought FIFA 2012. It’s f11cking great!. When the missus picks the controller up, Andy Gray shouts, “GET BACK IN THE F11CKING KITCHEN!” and Richard Keys shouts “TITS OUT FOR THE LADS!”

Its a laugh boys, don’t be baying for me blood!!

• GeordieGerman

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM

tom tomb, ROFL… !

• tom tomb

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Cheers GG!

• GAZ09

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I never said Johnson was coming to us, that would never happen

• GAZ09

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:26 PM

http://www.metro.uk has the Mutu link says we are currently tracking him

• nufcburty

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I hate Andy Gray, he just slags Newcastle off all the time, cya.

• tom tomb

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

GAZ 09- the Mutu link says we are currently tracking him.
    To track himjust follow the white powder trail, and you will find him at the end of it!

• ToonBry

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:32 PM

I’m not at all sexist but women should have no place in the mans game. Thay have their game and we have ours and it should stay that way. Women in general are weaker, slower and mentaly to unpredictable to play football with men. NO I’M NOT SEXCIST but come on you know what some women are like. A guy tackles a girl to hard… He’s sexcist. A guy argues with a female player/ref…….. Hes sexcist and what happens if women play and guys land all over them. Some rare few will cry abuse before you can blink. Not fair at all on other male players i say as women will take the fun, excitment and competetive edge off the game.

• ToonBry

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I agree andy gray was a T**T though so good ridence you virmin secret mackem wannabe gooch licker

• GAZ09

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM

calm down Tomtom lol, was just letting people know the latest link, i didnt say its true and if he is or isnt joining us

• tom tomb

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Gaz what makes you think I am not calm? I am not having a go at you! It was intended as ironic humour, but I guess I failed!

• arfa chance

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

andy gray is a anti toon twat him and keys i absolutely loathe and im glad he is off the screens, now hopefully fifa next yr will be better.

Any rumours like? Mutu no thanks rather not

• Toontastico

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM

“But of course we were just appalled at the off microphone comments of Sky Sports commentators Andy Gray and Richard Keys” — Ha ha get a grip will ye – It was a joke comment that was neither harfull or malicious, women not knowing the offside rule is a long standing joke everywhere. Its pathetic how PC everything has to be these days and personally i think a lot of that has come over from the States. Andy Gray is not suing SkySports (yet) he has been suing The News of The World which mysteriously enough is also part of Rupert Murdochs media empire, you’d have to ask yourself how and why exactly have these leeks come about?!?

As much as I hated Andy Gray as a pundit etc I feel everyone should get off thier high horse on this one, I’m sure there was a hell of a lot worse things said about Sian by countless people in countless places all around the country on Saturday

• Toonmania

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

tom tomb, @22 very funny 🙂
    anyway i would love my secretary to have large tits but a nice slim ass, hmmm perhaps i didn’t ask the right questions when i interviewed her

• jackdnufc

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

lou9brasil: “Unfortunately football is a sport that is sexist, homophobic and a number of other things that’s just the way it is.. Don’t care if I sound old fashioned or whatever else people wanna call me”

What a bigoted, ignorant statement. I would assume, simply from the way that you have described yourself as “old fashioned”, and linked being old fashioned with being sexist and homophobic, that you will probably disregard whatever I have to say on the matter. I would be happy for my assumption to be proved incorrect.

It is these elements of football ‘culture’ that make me both saddened and disappointed to be a football fan. We now live in, as Ed has pointed out, in a multicultural society and a liberal society too. I would like to ask you how you think “just the way it is” at all justifies anything that you have said about the state of the game, or more correctly, the people who make up the game of football. If the statement “just the way it is” made any sense at all then by your inane logic nothing, including peoples opinions, would change because “that’s just the way it is”.

If you are content to keep alienating people from the sport then I suggest you keep it the way it is; I, on the other hand, would rather see all areas of football accessible to all races, creeds, and peoples everywhere. I would be far more proud to follow the sport and support a team that includes, but does not exclude ‘types’ of people based on opinions and thoughts that have no logic and have no facts behind them.

Finally, Ed, if you read this, I would like to propose that on your terms on the homepage that you re-evaluate them and stick to them more vigorously in the future. If I could direct you to this website-
    (Iain Dale’s blog) as it provides an excellent example of vigorous checking to make sure that proper debate and retarded elements of the game can be kept away like the above shinning example.

On that note, I do love this blog, and I think that you do a sterling job, and I am pleased to see yours, and others, backing over this matter.

Keep up the good work.