Smiley Lip Ranger So Upbeat About Newcastle Opportunity

When Nile Ranger came on in the last few minutes of the game against Tottenham last Saturday, he looked like he did when he played against Liverpool.

Nile Ranger – we may have to call him Smiley Lip now

The lad looked to be so full of energy and so difficult to handle for the Spurs defense, as he was for the Liverpool defense.

If this lad can get his act together in training, there’s little doubt he has loads of natural ability, and if he comes through in the next year or so then  Andy Carroll and Nile Ranger can give opposing defenses some real nightmares in the not so distant future.

In fact some of them may not even turn up for the games.

We’d also like to see Nile continue his career with the England U19 side, as he’s been left out of the last several squads,  although Ryan Donaldson, now on loan at Hartlepool for a month, has been included.

The 19 year-old powerful  Londoner told the Evening Chronicle today:

“The manager has said he doesn’t need to dip into the transfer market and get another striker in.”

“As a young player or any player that gives you a bit of encouragement.” “To know you are in his plans gives you a bit of confidence.”

And after scoring a tremendous hat-trick last week for the Newcastle Reserve side against Wigan, Ranger proved he can knock in those goals, and it would really help him to get his first Premier League goal, sooner rather than later.

Ranger continued:

“I was glad to get a hat-trick the other day, it lifted things.” Stevenage was a nightmare. I’m not being rude but it was like their final.”

“They were always going to be at it. We just weren’t on our game as much as they were.” “It is always harder playing in those type of games. And I wanted to just cry after the miss against West Ham.”

“Now I just need to keep getting a sniff in the first team and hoping for as many run outs as possible.”  “I’m so close to the first team, I’d rather not go on loan. I feel like I’m back in form a bit anyway.”

“I got a hat-trick in the reserves against Wigan and that got me a chance against Tottenham.” “You’re always happiest when you are scoring goals as a striker.”

“It’s really just about getting the chances and opportunities to do that.” “I’m happy to keep getting games in the reserves to prove myself – the gaffer says that it’s good to have a little run-out now and again.”

“I’ve got to stay involved because I haven’t been playing much recently.”  “Scoring goals in the reserves does you no harm at all.” “I’ve had a few hat-tricks in the Academy and now in the reserves.”

“I hope that by doing that there will be a few decent reports getting back to the gaffer.” “That’s all you can hope for.”

The other thing we hear a lot about Nile is that he’s never down hearted and seems full of energy and is a positive kid.

And after the game on Saturday, would you believe he had a smiley tattoo put on his bottom lip?

Nile Ranger – do we now have to call him smiley lip?  😀

But what we have to say to the youngster is just follow closely what Alan, John, Peter and the rest of the coaches tell him to do – and remember nothing comes easy in life or in football.

If Nile can put in that extra effort, he  can nurture all those tremendous football skills he seems to have been blessed with.

If he does that Newcastle could well have two of the best young strikers in the Premier League.

Wouldn’t that be something!

• Brutooon

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM

If he can bang at lesat 5 goals this season as a supersub, i dont see why he cant be first team next season

• callie9

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I complain enough about biting my tongue accidentally or having an ulcer. Hard lad!

• Toon Sweden77

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Give him the nr 10 shirt next season after Wayne signs for QPR and tell him what responsibility it means to be wearing it!

• wynsleap

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM

This lad HAS to be persevered with and given more game time. Yes he’s missed one or two great goal opportunities lately when he’s been brought on but once he gets one or two watch him go.
    He has pace, heading ability, strength and good, quick feet – all he needs is more confidence shown in him.
    He and Carroll could be dynamite once they get together on a regular basis.

• Irish Geordie1

………….shola……mcloven………./

who would u change????

• Stuart

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:50 PM

26 Jan 2011 13:39:24
    Newcastle Rumours
    Adam Johnson maybe on his way to sjp. Source: various rumour sites and talk. £12m is a fee I’ve heard but not sure if that’s correct

If only haha…

• laurent roberts left boot

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:09 PM

he had the tattoo before saturday ed he celebrated by showing it off in the reserves game, anyways ranger is a class act when he’s on form. The crowd love him he runs his socks off and he’s full of energy he needs a goal then watch the lad go he needs more game time too maybe 15-20 minutes he got less then ten against spurs

• jaw4life

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM

@ Stuart…..lets pray eh?!

• gorskino10

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM

agree Laurent 🙂

• BeeGuy

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:26 PM

That tattoo will put him in the frame to endorse Wal-Mart in the USA.

• atom

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:54 PM

2 Cents on Ranger- his potential is plain to see, but I have not been impressed with some intangibles- mainly he lacks composure and awareness. I really think that a run of games or loan spell where he is playing every week would do him wonders, much like it did for Andy last season. Just think a future pairing of Ranger and Andy up front could be absolutely brilliant.

• NorseMag

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Was really puzzled by the substitutions v Spuds.

Why Shola stayed on for most of the last 30 mins beats me. 1 goal up and counter-attacking with the slowest forward in the history of football? It was painful to watch his immobility.

Still have a soft spot for lad though, as the naive hope of his talent finally coming through seems to fool my sense of reason season after season, (Hey, I’m a poet)

• dublin mag steve

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:11 PM

stuart where did u get that from? id love to believe its true.

• Lyons

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM

RANGER COMES ON AND ALWAYS MAKES A MASSIVE IMPACT HE SHOULD BE GIVEN 25-30 mins not 2.5 to 3 mins

HIM AND ANDY C would be insane! esp havng played together in reserves over last few years

• Stuart

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:15 PM

just off newcastlerumours.co.uk

I check it everyday but they havent got one right yet.

I’d love this to be true, but MA isnt going to spend £12m, AJ wouldnt want to come when hes got europa league this season and probably champions league next season, and we probably wouldnt pay his wages anyway.

Still though, I can always dream lol.

• NorseMag

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Why is 4 out of 5 players we’ve been linked with central midfielders?

You would think that the gossip factory would know there a marked for rumours about wingers? Or full-backs?

• maine_magpie

Jan 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM

how about the nickname “smile” ranger?

• spanishtoon

Jan 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM

• Charlietoon

Jan 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM

maine_magpie

simple and works as all good nixknames should.

Howay SMILE Ranger

• Darling27

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Alan Pardew Interview From Portugal

Starts 101:10

• Brutooon

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:59 AM

SMILE Ranger <—thats a nice name

Many we chud see that smile tatoo when he score lots for us