Newcastle And Aston Villa Still Miles Apart On Ireland’s Wages

It seems that Newcastle fans should not hold their breath on the Stephen Ireland deal being done, at least not  until the very last stages of January’s transfer window.

Stephen Ireland – clubs haggling over his wages

News today that the two clubs are still miles apart when it comes to what percentage of Stephen’s £65K/week,  the Tyneside club is willing to pay.

And as we reported yesterday it seems that this one – if it gets done at all – will be completed next Monday night.

The transfer window closes at 11:00pm next Monday night,  and it seems we may all have to await the news from the club at that time.

But Newcastle seem very willing to play the waiting game, and have been successful several times in securing some good deals over the last 12 months in the transfer market.

There is always the danger another club could come in and agree to Aston Villa’s demands, although maybe Stephen is anxious to come to Newcastle,  so the negotiating advantage could be with Newcastle on this one.

We have to hope so.

A Newcastle source told the Journal this morning the two clubs remain “miles apart” on wages, but the club still thinks a deal could be done nearer to Monday night’s 11pm transfer deadline.

We’ll just have to wait – but what’s new?

As far as any transfer deals are concerned involving Newcatsle, Alan Pardew had this to say today:

“I wouldn’t say anything is imminent,”  “All of the clubs are gearing up towards the last day of the window.”

“What happens is you want to get the best possible deal for you.”

“I have had a couple of calls today about players who were going to other clubs but that has broken down.”

“We were asked whether we’d be interested?”

A question to Alan on that last sentence – are we interested?

So there’s a question – who could these two players be – maybe one of them is Shaun Wright Phillips?

Which players were in negotiations with other clubs – that may have broken down?  Quite a few of course.

Luis Suarez?

Yes – just kidding – but most of the news today has been a bit downbeat.

Comments always welcome – but please be civil to other readers who may not share your viewpoint.

• cg

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Never had hopes or even interest in Ireland and I’m still in doubt weither we’d sign anyone new at all in this window, but probably in for a couple of free in the summer.

• skutball1892

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Maybe, just maybe we should give up on Ireland, what’s the point in signing someone who’s only gonna come for the money? I don’t doubt he has talent, but do we really need him?

• dublin mag steve

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM

hoprfully we stay miles apart i dont want him.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM

mercenary nutjob with a terrible attitude. keep away.

Also why is our club so bad for injuries ever since i can remember ? I always see that slaphead physio guy who likes like something out of the dark ages. We don’t seem overly hi-tec on our off field facilites and personnel.

Allardyce passes himself off as a guru on all this stuff but truth be told, every premiership club these days should have a state of the art medical / health set up.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM

* looks like

• Toonkistan

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM

skutball…how can you say he’s coming here for money…the guy is contracted to Villa on crazy wages now villa wants player out and player wants to play football for newcastle but we dont want to pay his large salary …it is as simple as that…Ireland has nothing to do here …all he can do is push villa to pay bigger chunk of his wages which again is out of his hands.

• wilkyvondooom

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:20 AM

just forget about the little tatty scranning leprechaun n move on to other transfer targets before the window shuts eh..

its getting rather tedious now.

• BudroBeardo

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:23 AM

If Tottenham’s Niko Kranjcar is available for 2m, he would be a real coup.
    I would choose him over SWP or Ireland.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Yeay!!!
    Thanks lads, was beginning to think I was the only fekka who seen through this potential transfer as being a very bad idea!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Krancjar would be a good signing!!

• G

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM

RH @ 4. I think every manager we have had since Dalglish has slated the training facilities we have for causing injuries. It was supposed to be state of the art, but Sheppard gave himself the contract (So I am told) and built / prepared everything on the cheap. The little bald chap you are talking about Derek Wright there? Been around for donkeys years, and knows his game very well from what I am told.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Careful as Davies, Magpitilidie, brookes, expat (Now john hahaha) will all be on calling you tossers, muppets and all other niceities coz you think Ireland would be a bad signing for us!!

Forgive them lord, for they know not what they do……

• skutball1892

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Agree with Krancjar, he has the abilit and I think more importantly doesn’t have an enormous ego like SWP, Ireland etc etc

• skutball1892

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM

*ability

• Selbymag

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Rotonda Heights I assume you are talking about Derek Wright.
    Who as any one who has supported Newcastle for a reasonable length of time will tell you is a club legend!
    A lot of injuries are just down to luck, or lack of it. The trining pich took a lot of flack but I thought it had been sorted.
    The lads not been able to train outside probably contributed to recent injuries. AC’s injury is one of those things.
    It took me 5 years to fully get over an injury the same as Goslings (bless the NHS) so to be honest he is doing ok, there was always going to be a reaction when he started playing.

• petey

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM

wow, the news is only getting better and better today huh…

We should sign Roberto Carlos!!! haha just kidding but check it out he is up to his old tricks again

Shoddy defending in Brazil or what!
    Check out Ronaldo (celebration) i almost didnt recognize him! He ate all the pie’s.

• petey

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM

This is the correct link woops

• Magpietillidie22

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM

huuuuuuuge yawn at angry man lol do you ever change the record?

As if i come on and call people tossers or muppets, all i have ever said about Ireland is he is a much better player you seem to realise. Is he a likeable person? I really couldnt care less if he can play top end premiership football lol? Joey Barton anyone….

And also never once have i said Ireland > Kranjcar, I would take Kranjcar on a permanent deal over Ireland on loan any time. But hey unlike angryman I can meet in the middle on arguments lol jeeze

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Ok magpietilidie, Ill meet you in the middle,
    Ireland is/was a decent player, but he is un-needed at this moment in time at NUFC!!

Oh??
    Isnt that all ive said all along???

• Davies

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:47 AM

I still don’t think he’d be a bad signing for a six month loan. The hold up isn’t with the player, it’s with the club. If an option to buy has been discussed and the only hold up is the wage percentage for the loan period, then we can assume the player’s already happy with the terms that have been discussed.

Of course, I could be wrong. Personal terms for a permanent move might not be discussed until the end of the loan period. Either way, Ireland would have good reason to give his best efforts.

I’m pretty sure Angryman will be able to set me straight, with his encyclopaedic knowledge of everything and his vast experience of having a “more valid” opinion than everyone else.

Hello again, Angryman.

• Sinner

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:49 AM

If we dont have any money to spend,we could go after this Ewerthon(Brazil International).He seems to be more than decent and he is FA.

Here is some of his goals while he was in Zaragoza.

Worth a punt,maybe give him a trial. 😉

• Magpietillidie22

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Erm no its not lol – look back its been omg hes terrible. We dont want him he lied to his club. Rubbish 2 good seasons means nothing – id rather have gradel or tarrabt cos of less risk…. lol come on

Risk wise (as i already explained) its less with a loanee that has played in prem and can play and the top level. He HAS top prem ability now, just needs an arm like our very own joey. He lied to a club he didnt want to play for? Nobody ever done that to their boss in here?….

The facts are – Ireland is better than all our CMs except nolan and tiote (joey is currently our RM) and tiote is always going to pick up suspensions. Plus we will prob start playing with 3 CMs anyway. Thats my points, thats it. Just dont like people going OTT on top quality players for silly reasons.

But agreed – Kranjcar would be the better option

• Magpietillidie22

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM

my above post was back to angryman@19 btw lol

• alex84

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM

id just like to say, call me crazy but i actually have faith in NUFC’S transfer system at the moment, and if we are linked with ireland then i trust the manager and scout that they no what Ireland can bring, i see people’s point about his attitude which can be questioned and his ability which was very good at Man city, but the best time to judge the player is if he signes and plays for us, if Ireland comes in and he plays up, dont play him, simple as.

• Sparky82

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Ha Ha get in Magpitillidie22, that’s a proper comment. Some people just try to stoke up trouble even when others haven’t commented on a story.

For the record i would take Kranjcar for 2m over Ireland too but it seems the Ireland deal is all the papers are talking of so that seems the more likely of the two deals. Would take either deal but it looks like deadline day drama at SJP is looming…

Also news of Mutu today, bit of a knacker too but if he’s going to score goals why not have a punt as i personally don’t think Ranger can make the step up, should be out on loan Mr Pardew… Lovenkrands is a Championship player, hence the reason he was at Rangers for the majority of his career…!

• toon18

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:01 AM

What’s the situation with kranjcar? I’m pretty sure harry said he could go, has he been linked to any other clubs?

• coolcatcarter89

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I’m just posting to say, I’m making a vow to myself not to return to the blog ’til deadline day, nor scout the web for anything regarding The Toon. It’s becoming OCD and deep down we all know nothing will happen, then a final flurry of activity in the last few hours, farewell for now – HWTL!! : D

• NUFC_Richyg01

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Move onto someone else then, we have shown we aint held to ransom on wages by players, so why by other clubs?

• JohnnyBrookes

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Angryman, just shut up will you?? Why do you feel the need to even make a comment like that?

Look strength in depth is where its at, if you cant see that your more clueless than I thought.

• Stuart

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I have to say, I dont think I’ve ever saw Angryman leave a positive comment, he’s really just living up to his screen name.

I can’t imagine being so negative about every aspect of the club I love though, baffles me.

• Davies

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I’d quite like Kranjcar.

• Marty-Toon

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:17 AM

@Petey
    Cheers for the link 🙂
    Boy did Ronaldo put on the weight lol
    He ate all the pies,he ate all the pies,he ate all the pies ha ha ha

• chambersl

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM

angryman i dont think its what you say people understand what your saying its just the way you say it comes across as smug and arragant

• G.unit

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM

For what it is worth, I feel Ireland may be a good loan signing. People may question his attitude but if its a loan deal, then what harm can it do.

Its obvious to see that things haven’t worked out for him at Villa but I honestly think he will just want to play football now. I’m not saying he should be the first name on the team sheet but if we get him on loan, he will have half a season to prove himself. His wages on the other hand are a little excessive but aren’t all footballers wages these days.

Remember people questioned Ben Arfa’s attitude going AWOL at Marseille but he has been nothing but a class act since joining the club.

We can all have opinion and say he will be good or crap but we will never know until he is here and on the field of play.

Let’s hope he can re-capture some of the form he had at Man City (if he signs) and I see no harm in a loan deal. After all we all know he has the quality, he may need game time to show it.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Stuart?
    WTF asked you anyway???

hhahaahah

Not wanting to go over old ground but I must take issue with Stuart here ….

Okay so alot of what I say is negative with regards to individuals (Whom dont even play for the club) !

Joey Barto for instance, he is an aspect of my club,,,,last negative comment about him?
    HBA…and???
    Carroll…..???
    Hell even Shola, I doint recall once asying anything negative about these guys and the rest of the team, In FACT……I tend to wax lyrical nothing but positives about our whole team….guthrie, gosling, ranger….mcloven!! I do actually love my team….Not in a GAY WAY SPARKY82 since your uneccessary Homophobic rants against myself and others yesterday!!

I will admit, I cannot stand the site of Fat Cashley, for the simple reason is i find it very hrd to forgive and forget the past….because I LOVE my club also!! Get the point here stuey wee man?

I am entitled to my opinion, I am NOT the all KNOWING sage the likes of DAVIES thinks I am (Thanks Davies, but Im not) I just have very strong opinions….very opinionated I am, my big titted blond girlfriend thinks, especially where the offside rule is involved, and during numerous smashing sessions, without that redknapp bloke, i am always stating…..WOMAN ARE NOT WANTED IN FOOTBALL, ITSSS WWWWRONG!!!

ahahahahahah
    (that was tongue in cheek for all you angryman haters)

• Sparky82

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Here Here G-Unit!! Gotta give the kid a chance, god kna’s Joseph Barton’s had more chances that i even care to remember, now he’s the saviour of the Toon!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Chanbersl??
    Thats because I am great at everything I do, it is my devinal right to be smug and arrogant….my perogative!!

THAT WAS A FREAKIN JOKE BY THE WAY !!!

• Sparky82

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Angryman haters, seems to be alot of them on here…

And as for the blond girlfriend? Ha Ha aye righto mate, pull the other one. Last bird yee seen was ya mother coming oot the shower.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

G.Unit
    Not saying he is good or crap, never have contrary to popular belief between the “your only allowed an opinion if i allow it” brigade!!

All ive said from day one of this debate, and it is only a debate guys, is that we DO NOT NEED STEPHEN IRELAND….I have give my reasons for my opinion, but not once have I said he is crap!!!

Read my posts!1

God i am sick as f88k of this whole debate over someone we havent even got in our team and all we are doing is relying on press reports and some Tw*t on tw*tter who makes things up as he goes along!!

Lordy lou.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Sparky, no no no, that was your mother 😉
    and she needs to dee somethiong about her hairy back!!