If the Sunday Mirror is to be believed, Newcastle are going back to Birmingham with a new offer to buy Sebastian Larsson, before the deadline window closes on Monday night.
Seb Larsson – yes – I’m joining Newcastle !
The news is that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is making a new £1M move for Birmingham’s right sided midfield player, whose contract runs out in the summer.
Newcastle have been linked with Larsson since the summer of 2008, but more recently all this month, but the news at one point was that the Tyneside club withdrew from the proposed deal, because the Swede’s wage demands were too high.
However, about a week ago that seemed to be untrue, as his agent said they were still negotiating with the Newcastle club, when Birmingham surprisingly told the player he could not leave the club in January, and Larsson immediately put in a transfer request.
However, at the time it appeared that Larsson’s agent was also a little fed up with Birmingham messing his client around, and said Birmingham needed to get some class.
Apparently, the Midlands club had earlier told the player he could leave in January, if a suitable offer was received, and indeed announced they had reached an agreement on the fee with the famous Tyneside club.
So what does this news tell us?
We’re not exactly sure, but having watched the winger in action this month, he would seem to be an excellent signing for Newcastle United – and one of his strengths is that he can certainly cross the ball, and can play in a number of different positions.
We can only assume that the new offer is an increase on the earlier offer made by Newcastle, in an attempt to entice the Birmingham club to do the deal, and if that’s the case we think this is a good move by Newcastle.
Blackburn Rovers are the other club still interested in signing the 25 year-old 27 times capped Swede, but of course Birmingham is a smaller club than Newcastle, who are getting 52,000 home gates again at St. James’ Park, and seem to be back on the rise.
And only yesterday Aston Villa’s Gerard Houllier had said he would be interested in the free agent in the summer.
Alan Pardew had said yesterday that he was fairly confident he could bring in two new faces before Monday night at 11:00pm, when the transfer window finally closes.
It would appear the main targets are Stephen Ireland and Seb Larsson, and if the club can get both of them through the window before late Monday night – with Ireland being on loan from Aston Villa – that would be good business for the club.
What do you think?