Harry Redknapp Takes Shot At Mike Ashley Transfer Claim

It just didn’t seem right that Newcastle turned down the second bid from Liverpool and within minutes of that news (or was it seconds), David Craig suddenly announced to his delight that Carroll had handed in a transfer request, and all hell broke loose.

Alan met Harry

Davis is the Sky Sports guy in the North East.

That didn’t strike true for some reason, because it immediately got Mike Ashley off the hook with Newcastle fans, whose fury was turned against one of their own – Andy Carroll.

And somebody who should know all about this stuff is Harry Redknapp, and this is what Harry told Sky Sports last night:

“I had a good laugh watching the Sky Sports News interview from Newcastle, it was one of the funniest things I have seen in a while.”

“Newcastle had fought to keep him, had pulled out all the stops and then he put in a transfer request.”

“They’ve got their £36M, it’s the same with all these clubs when they sell a player, they want the player to put a transfer request in so it looks better for them.”

“I’m sure they are pleased with the price they have got for the boy.”

That supports the growing theory that the Andy Carroll transfer request was a ruse to save the Newcastle hierarchy.

Shouldn’t they have some official inquiry or statement to say exactly what happened yesterday, or will Andy Carroll have to further spill the beans on that supposed transfer request – which we now just don’t believe.

But we feel sure Andy has already been told by now by the Newcastle hierarchy to be quiet.   As we said earlier the business world can be quite brutal.

What happened yesterday will make it even harder for Alan Pardew to operate successfully at Newcastle, with his relationships with Ashley and Llambias being strained.

And just a thought – how long will Mike Ashley own the Newcastle club?

• steburnip

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM

SW: Are you leaving mate?

AC: I\’m not going anywhere mate.

Monday 31st January 16:28

SW: Liverpool in for you mate. Any truth in that?

AC: Dunno what\’s happening yet still mate. Thanks.

17:02

SW: Sky Sports say it\’s a matter of time mate. What\’s club said?

AC: they have kind of said we don\’t want u but want me to say I wanna go. And I said I don\’t want to go.

17:26

SW: Have you put in a transfer request?

AC: No I didn\’t that\’s what I mean that\’s what they wanted me to do and I said no.

17:27

SW: So they want you to go?

AC: They said they wanted to accept it.

17:28

SW: So you have no choice?

AC: Looks like it.

17:31

SW: Your agent will be doing ok out of this. When you going?

AC: I don\’t know mate. Gutted tho.

17:32

SW: Any message you want put across to the fans? I\’m happy to do that for you mate.

AC: They said they wanted the money.

17:37

SW: Anything else?

AC: Gutted to be leaving Newcastle but I was kind of pushed out the door.

17:41

SW: That it?

AC: Just what i\’ve just said really. Gutted to be leaving my home club but I was practically told to go. Didn\’t want to leave that\’s why i signed a 5 year deal.

17:47

SW: I will pass these onto the press lads I know.

AC: Sound mate.

17:56

SW: Can you give press lads a call to do an interview when deal done?

AC: I will yeah. I will speak to him later. Bit busy atm mate.

• Oleg G

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Again “He said She said”? Who cares what they write as quotes. That doesn’t matter. What matters is ACTIONS. Andy is gone, because he wanted.
    If he didn’t want to, he could’ve said so and staid, he had the right – a 5 year contract right!
    But he looked at that and looked at what he is getting in Liverpool, took care of himself and went away.

Ashley is happy too. Andy didn’t make that job difficult for him. Instead of holding his grown and not going, he decided to take the easy and the “more money in my pocket in the end of the day” way.

Now his “beloved” club will go where? We have a great team still, but not enough players, and one big player out of that bunch is out. Will now open the possibility that any player is possibly out in the summer.

We will probably not see any money back. Unless it is on some Idiot like Zog (are you kidding me? 12M?).

Ashley is happy but Andy is not crying aether.

• geoff777

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Pardew needs to resign.

Any manager with any self-worth would have gone last night.

Ashley’s screwed Pardew in public.

Pardew – Man or Puppet?

RESIGN NOW

• Mac

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Absolutely ridiclous ANDY CARROLL WAS NOT PUSHED. He left he had his head turned andis greedy, simples.

• Malaysia-RASHID

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

steburnip // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:10 AM

most people don’t believe that mate and i already be calling as childish and stupid by someone when i post that, so i think better thinking about what will happen next, who to score for us…

what next summer spending, i don’t see that money in NUFC transfer coz history tell everything…

• Edd Case

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Droopey face can well and truly p1ss off – what has our business got to do with him.

• Mac

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:19 AM

If he wanted the fans to know whay didn’t his agent contact sky sports,the chronicle the Journal? Instead Carroll text his mate Steve Wraith,Please give me a break. Nothing wrong with Steve i went to school with him and his brother Rob but he’s not quite the media Mogul required to get the message out.

• MykToonFan

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Pardew’s side of the story makes more sense than any of the other theories I’ve heard:

• Mac

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:20 AM

And more to the point why hasn’t Nolan Barton or one of out senior Players come out and said something about what’s gone on. Again simple CARROLL WANTED TO LEAVE

• davybtoon

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM

• alex84

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

thinking of Ireland is it a view too a perm deal?
    i say give him a free role behind one of the 4 strikers we got, would suit him very well!

• shearertodomorebigmacads

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Anyone else realise that SW asked Andy if he had anything to pass onto the fans for him and all he said was ‘i am being pushed out’, SW asks again ‘that it’, not once did Carroll thank the fans for their support or any of the staff. Oh and they only ‘kind of’ said that they wanted him to go.

So was Carrol actually keen on the move himself too!?

Im sorry dont believe its all Ashley……….Carroll saw the £ signs and jumped ship!

That has bothered me that he didnt appreciate the fans support but what really bothered me is we had the money effetively at 2pm why did we try panic buys with 20mins to go?

Also we all thought Carroll would be a target this jan surely the club had a contingency plan if a offer was too good to refuse….. so surely we must have had our eye on some strikers just incase, then why the hell didnt we move for them as soon as Carroll was on his way?

NUFC A LAUGHING STOCK AS USUAL AND THEY DONT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THE FANS!!!!

• carrollsinger

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Carrol asked for a new contract and more money to stay no one is bigger then the club 36m thanks! Statement from pardew all the money will go into transfers in summer believe it or not I’m open to that

• jimmyxavi

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I think we are all missing something here –

Andy Carroll recieved a 3.5m signing on fee.

Also he turned down an offer from SkySports for an interview at the Liverpool’s Melwood training ground.

Who knows whether he wanted to leave or not – I think he did, why not? £80,000 a week – Europe – New city!

• DrunkenSteve

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:23 AM

AP – “One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

1st he gaurenteed that Carroll would not be sold.
    2nd Mike has assured me…how stupid do they think we are? Lies Lies Lies

Brace yourselfs lads here comes the smoke screen of MA’s PR….

• geoff777

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:25 AM

@Mac Then the club backs Pardew and turns down Carroll’s transfer request. Simples

Pardews been screwed. We’ve lost our star player and got no replacement.

Even the Ireland deal sucks because there is no option to buy.

A fantastic window – Nice one Pardew

• MykToonFan

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Of course he guaranteed Carroll wouldn’t be sold.

He didn’t expect a club to be stupid enough to spend £35million on a player who has only had half a season in the Premiership, is likely to get himself locked up within a year and is injured for another month.

Wake up people. £35million is a stupid amount of money, no matter who instigated the transfer.

If it all goes back into the club over the summer (I am skeptical about this) then it will be the best piece of business we’ve ever done, as he clearly wanted away.

• davybtoon

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

what no one finds out funny that carroll asked for a new contract last day of the window n handed in a transfer reqeust when we said we wudnt do it yet come on lads carroll wanted to go its that simple

• ginkoh

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Press want Carroll transfer and thay have to get it. Then they got it.

• arcarius

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM

From the link posted by davy @ 10

Hahahaha, Pards certainly has no idea that Ashley’s word will count for nothing. Its ok, continue knocking on his door there 😀

• Vest

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Well of course Arry Shaking Head says. NUFC turned down his bid for Carroll, and he is p!55ed about it. Here he can upset the NUFC and fans, so he does it.

But it’s just out of bitterness.

HWTL

• davybtoon

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

i dont remember steven taylor handing a transfer request when he didnt get a deal i apologise to taylor he is a true geordie

• Oleg G

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Agree! What Alan Pardew said makes much more sense. They guy was in Dubai, saw all the good in life and said – I need more money (I added that part). Came back Home, saw all the fuss around him and said – wait – I have this small contract of 30-40K a week. A bigger club is asking me to join, for double the money and the same job – I’ll take it!

I thought about this too, he wanted to stay but only with a better contract, so he will not feel like an idiot. Probably people around him said – take the money mate, take care of yourself, your family etc etc, your future.

He went to ask for a new contract (sound very true, because if after tomorrow he would ask they would just say, lets talk in the summer), they thought about it and said – if we will give him a new contract, anyone who is linked with a move to another club will ask for a raise or a transfer request, we cannot afford that.

SEE YA CARROLL! you are a little c***

• ginkoh

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Sound like Rednapp bemoan why we didn’t sell Carroll to him instead of Liverpoods.

• Jamesthefirst

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Pardew told the Shields Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave. I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that. Was this about football? That’s what you have to ask. I don’t think it was.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me. I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club. We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems. We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him. One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

So, Carroll did want to stay, but he also wanted a pay rise to £80K a week.That’s why he was sold

Coloccini is on £85K a week. Carroll was on £30K

• Oleg G

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Just one thing thou. Don’t believe that money will be invested back. Maybe half of it. Not more.

• Fostino

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

if anyone bidded a quater of that fee for saylor, then rst assured he would have been gone too…it all comes down to money these days

• Stuart

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

@Oleg G

Half of it? We’ll be lucky to get a fiver!

• Fostino

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

no point blaming this on pardrew

the money offered was ridiculous. it was carroll that looked for a transfer when he wasn’t offered more money….carroll head was obviously turned by money.

it is worringing that we could not find a relacement…..this could cost us considering we only have shole, lovendkrands, best and ranger, airey as our only strikers now…..none of whom are top strikers

maybe ranger might step up to the plate!! p.s. ireland was a good signing and thank god xisco gone

• MykToonFan

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

@Jamesthefirst – I don’t think it was the size of the contract, more the fact that it would lead to many other players asking for rises, and that he would have been holding the board to ransom every time a club came in – as Pardew said, “Where would it stop?”

Coloccini is on £85k/w because he signed before Ashley changed his wage policy for the better.

• eplforecast

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

You guys have to be STINKING STUPID to think this was not a good move.

CARROLL IS NOT WORTH THAT MUCH.

If you heard, the day after he was declared pretty much injured by the club doctor 8th January 2011.

Carroll then proceeds to drink himself stupid at Aspers Casino, 5 Jagerbombs, with at least 8 pints in a few hours. And falls down on his injured thigh a few times.

This is all when he is on 27k quid a week.

He will now be on 80k quid a week, and I GUARANTEE you

He will get in trouble on Merseyside. It is bound to happen, as he is too young and has no self control.

Carroll has served his purpose.

Now spend the money on Gervinho

• Itoons

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:34 AM

If we can bring in Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Arda Turan in the summer it will make this whole fiasco slightly less bitter. Here’s wishing.

• davybtoon

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:35 AM

its not that he wanted a pay rise its that he wanted a new contract after signin one 2 months earlier pardew is ryt we cudnt do it

• Team0Asprilla

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

He’s gone – end of.

Need to get behind the team. We’ve done alreet in the last 7 games without him.

Hard to turn down £35m but it’s not as if we can attract players worth £10m let alone £30-odd million.

Gutted. But time to move on.

I still think Andy will be feeling as sh*t as us lot today.

Time for the Egyptian River Policeman to step into the breach.

Ha’way the Lads!

• hadthetshirt

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

@Vest yep spot on and the fact they point blank refused our offer for crouch.
    I dread to think who pardew might buy if any money is available,as the panic list last night was laughable.
    I wonder if Ashley lies in bed dreaming of how to pee us off every day.One thing he won’t lie in bed straight.
    This is the biggest gamble he has taken on as if we go down he can kiss goodbye to the money.

• eplforecast

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Andy Carroll is at best a 15 million pound player.

I think we should all be patting Ashley’s back for this move.

The only bad thing now is that we may not be able to push for Europa; and the squad will have to work harder to stay out of trouble.

But financially, this puts Newcastle on a solid path.

Ask yourself. Is Carroll honestly worth being the 7th most expensive football transfer of ALL TIME. ?

for me the answer is NO

• JohnnyBrookes

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Genuinely can’t believe people actually buy that shit that Pardew is saying.

Honestly, when will people learn, do people not remember the Keegan court case where they admitted they bullshitted the fans as PR exercise.

• listie

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Of course everything Floppy chops says is the truth, don’t make me laugh, he’s pissed of that Liverpool out bid them and no doubt offered more money to AC.

• eplforecast

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM

The team which has benefited the most out of this is perhaps LIVERPOOL.

As Torres is simply not worth 50 Million at his current form

But Newcastle can be assured that the club will be put on a far sounder financial footing from the sale of a player that technically cost us nothing.

• Oleg G

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:39 AM

ginkoh // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 AM

AGREE!

I hate that man, he just looks like a bad person. Greedy, and thinks he deserves everything.

Looks to me like he is just mad that he didn’t get Carroll