Is Joey Barton Now Stalling On New Contract?

There are some rumors coming through that Joey Barton may not be signing his new contract at Newcastle, after the Tyneside club received an amazing £35M for Andy Carroll last Monday.

Joey Barton – is he now stalling on new contract?

One reason why Newcastle couldn’t grant Andy Carroll £80K/week immediately, was that they had almost reached agreement with Joey on a  new deal.

And Joey was being offered less than the £65K/week he is currently on – because Newcastle couldn’t afford that.

That’s one of the things Alan Pardew was hinting at on Tuesday, when he was sent out into the Lion’s den again by the Newcastle hierarchy to meet the Lions, sorry to meet with the  reporters.

A good question is where was Derek LLambias, who also didn’t show up when Alan first met with the Lions last December, when Hughton had been fired.

And one of the things Alan pointed out, was that they had to think about what impact that would have at the club – if they gave Carroll the massive £80K/week.

Well one impact would be they couldn’t then ask Joey to take a cut in wages could they?

But Newcastle have since said that money will be used to bring in new players and will pay for transfer fees and wages too.

Willie McKay, who is Barton’s agent,  will obviously think that Newcastle are not as short of money as they once were, and he’s be right, having now filled the coffers with the £35M windfall?

And there are unsubstantiated rumors going around that Joey Barton will not sign his new contract, which was imminent before the news broke that Carroll had been sold to Liverpool for £35M.

We don’t know if this news will turn out to be true, but we think selling Carroll could have repercussions when Newcastle try to negotiate the new contracts for both Joey Barton and Jose Enrique too.

This all reminds us of what Ollie used to say to Stan in the Laurel and Hardy films:

Well, here’s another fine mess you’ve gotten me into!

• lewman

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM

hopefully just a rumour, or maybe he is waiting to see what we do in the summer but it would be nice for the fans for him to sign it very soon.

• bentoon

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Hopefully not. Joey seems to love the club and us fans so i think it might just be a rumour.

• liam85

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM

it never rains but it pours 🙁
    I don’t like being negative but it’s falling apart more and mor each day.
    We get a period of time where everything is looking better, then all of a sudden…. BANG!!! more and more problems. 🙁

• jimmyxavi

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Ed, stop writing propaganda will you!

Ffs this blog has gone from informative to gossip mongering in the space of a week! It used to start

‘I’m not one to write about rumours’

Now its ‘ I’ve heard this rumour’

• Toonkistan

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM

i’d love to see how the fans now turn to Joey who just a week ago was the fav son of geordies…we really are fickle fans…Get over the carroll saga and get behind the team for arsenal game…
    i hoping for a draw :$
    HWTL

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Would you sign a contract with this shower of sh!te running the club like a backstreet casino??

• Zangwill_Ho

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

I think he could not sign

• Davies

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Not worth the bandwidth. Rumour mongering. Shame on you.

• rubaz66

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Totally agree @jimmyxavi, this article has no basis apart from rumours on msg boards between fans, JOKE

• Mags

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

If the liar and coward that is Llambias, or another appointed person representing Newcastle, talked to the fans perhaps we would all know what is happening instead of leaving it to rumours.

• SirAlan

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Maybe Joey can see what is being done at the club >>the best players are being signed up to 5 year contracts to be sold at a later date when they get the right bid in<<<i hope joey and Jose & Colo do leave without signing new contracts…fook Ashley Llambias and Pardew

• expatgeordie

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Can’t blame him and Enrique, Colo, Jonas & the rest for thinking Ashley’s f****ed us over again

• expatgeordie

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

post

• expatgeordie

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Can’t blame him or any others for looking to get out now

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

ave you also noticed that quite regularly Llambias doesn’t write in the mathday program any more?

Almost like he’s put something in when its good news, but hides at other times…And instead of writing directly to us fans he talks the the Sun, of all rags!

• Toon-tinted-glasses

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

grrr matchday; not mathday lol

• jimmymagpie

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

This is not a rumour. Some of you know my credentials, after I was reviled for giving you the correct information on Carroll at the beginning of January, and the correct prognosis on Goslings’ injury. Barton has instructed Willie MacKay, his agent that he has changed his mind about signing the contract. What do you all expect? The FCB has destroyed this club, which was his avowed his intention after the abuse he got over Keegan. If any of you know anyone in the game, ask them and they will tell you, but don’t shoot the messenger.

• Selbymag

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I dont blame Joey, I would want the board to outline their plans for the summer before I signed a new contract.

He is already under contract and does not need to sign a new one.

The only benifit to the club is that his transfer value increases under a long term contract which is more importantant than the “rumoured” £5ook a year pay cut.

If an ambitious well run club comes in for Joey who could blame him for being interested, he is at the peak of his powers and will want a shot at some silverware. Something we have seen sold down the river once again

• Selbymag

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Jimmymagpie – I appreciate your views mate!

• carrollsinger

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM

I wouldn’t sign I’ll wait and see if the 36mil is used first

• SirAlan

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Joey has realised that by signing a New 5 year Contract he will be sold as soon as the right bid comes in, Joey, Jose & Colo need to run there contracts down and Walk for nothing….

• JohnnyBrookes

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Jimmymagpie you called the Carroll thing to be fair, I would not be surprised at all, and yes I totally agree that Ashley is seeking revenge.

Think rationally what he has done, every decision he has taken has been to the detriment of the club and the fans.

• daneevz

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:09 AM

im sure Eds copying me

• wynsleap

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Much as I detest The Controller for everything he has done to this club and its fans, I feel the club was put in a no win situation by Carroll.
    Pay him his £80-90,000 a week contract and all the players will think they can seriously up their salaries too.
    Sell him and obviously get as much for him as possible (in this case £35 mill.) and the players now think we have money to burn on contracts.
    Joey was talking about showing loyalty. We are shortly going to see just WHO has that loyalty.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Carrollsinger, your spot on mate, but the spedning of the 36m??
    Not on yer nelly mate!!
    I would not want to play for anyone with as little ambition as this lot have who own and run our great club!!
    Its a crying shame….
    And jimmymagpie, I believe you 100% and even if you didnt have any ‘sources’ I would still believ you because the FCB has done nothing in the last three years to disprove your point!!

• stuckdownsouth

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Joey in black&white I love you (ok must admit was to keen at first).

But like AC, if £65k a week is not enough for you to play for us when we paid your wages when you were in prison and injured for almost 2 years then you too can go F**k yourself….or stay and I’m gonna call me next kid Joey!

That’s Football!

• neblexa

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:13 AM

The only reason i could see him leaving is becasue as a result of the last week i will never trust what a player says ever again…There is no loyalty! Greedy little “local hero” proves it once and for all..

• jarra geordie

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM

I’d like to think Joey was accepting a pay cut as a way of repaying the 65k a week he was collecting for sitting in a jail on top of the time he spent out with injuries etc. ( possible deluded – but cant judge all modern footballers by the same money driven standards )

At his age this maybe his last contract so I think he is best waiting until the summer to see what the intentions of the club are before geting tied down.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Wynsleap, I respect your opinion and all others with regards to Carroll!! And I do agree that Carroll is as much to blame as the club on the transfer, but you CANNOT blame Carroll for the mess the club is in again!!

My main point is, if they could get anybody in they should have said to Carroll your Contracted to play for 30k a week or whatever, and you will stay here until the end of the season!! Then if you want you can Eff off for whatever dosh your offered as we dont give a shit!!

But No,
    No replacements
    Just greed, pure greed prevailed, on both parties accounts!!

• jimmymagpie

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Selbymag and Jonny – thank you. I don’t like the information that I pass on sometimes, because as someone who saw his first game in at SJP in 1951, I love NUFC like all of you, and the person who passes this on to me is also a dyed in the wool Ncle fan. Why do you all think that Ashley is reviled throughout the game? Because they know that he is systematically destroying a great club, and people like Dave Whelan, Alex Ferguson, and Harry Rednapp have great sympathy for the Ncle fans because of what this twerp is doing to our club.

• RememberShearer

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM

OK there’s a very very good chance that we will get a spanking off Arsenal so why not try and get rid off Ashley!! and here is the idea…We don’t turn up to the game to watch it, we turn up to protest outside the ground and with the players standing by our side in protest…in other words the players forfiet the game to let Ashley know we want our club back, sell up now to the first bidder you fat fn cockney twat!!!!! WE ALL HATE YOU, TAKE YOUR MONEY AND RUN FAT ASH!!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Jarrageordie, If I was JB or anybody else up their, I wouldnt sign a new contract……i would want to play for a club whose owners match my ambitions!! End Off……

If your boss was to say to you I want you to take a pay cut and I am gonna run this place into the ground whilst selling getting rid of all your buddies…..would you say. Thats okay boss, ill saty here with you until we fall through the big trapdoor!!

Good on you Joey, stick to your principals sonner and you will have the backing of the majority of the toon army!!

• Ericles

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM

In the present media fascinationwith the Carroll saga it is not suprising that unsubstantiated rumous about Joey will abound – especially as he is worth an England call-up, worth making our captain. All of which ups his value and saleability. Which for fat Ashley’s greedy eyes means another profit possible in the summer. I know that Carroll has to waffle his new found loyalty for the benefit of his red shirted fans and new paymasters. Did he have to come out with the galling arse lickinghypocrisy at his press conference? Too many snide swipes at us for my liking. What did he mean by saying “It feels like home now. I know its only been three days but the welcome I’ve had…” How long ago was he trumpeting about his loyalty to his “home” on Tyneside? Most telling of all was his comment “When I finally come out for my debut with the number nine shirt it will make me realise I am here to stay. Now the ambition is to win stuff and go places.” What happened to the pride and honour of wearing our number 9 shirt in the black and white? Listen to me young Carroll – the number 9 shirt has had real heroes wear it for Newcastle – far more so than Liverpool’s team. We thought you were going to be one of those heroes of heritage and tradition. Where are you now as you make your debut in front of Anfield’s smaller crowds and with no chance of going places this season than West Ham etc. Are we to assume tha in your opinion NUFC are not going places? Have you written us off already after only 3 days? I think it is time for NUFC to keep the number 9 shirt in store until once again we have a real deserving player to put it on – however long that takes.

• jimmymagpie

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:26 AM

For what it’s worth, my own personal opinion of the JB situation is, that he will wait and see what happens in the summer. But this is just a personal opinion, and not what I’ve been told. We’ll find out tomorrow what effect this has all had on certain players, and I honestly think that Pardew is as disheartened as anybody.

• RememberShearer

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Agree mostly with Ericles, he says it as it is! Also NUFC #9 shirt should be retired until we get that fantastic new Shearer…if that is Ranger than let him show it for a season or two first….

• jarra geordie

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM

Yea Angryman you are right#

What I meant to say is that Joey might have considered the paycut before the shit happened on monday. Now he is in no hurry because he like all of us on here know that Ashley says one thing and does the opposite time and time again. So he will wait and see if any of that money goes on players in the summer before committing himself.

I just hope its not that he feels the club are in a better financial situatuion and is now wanting to extend his current deal at 65k.

• RememberShearer

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Wouldn’t blame Pardew if he walked!!!!! He was promised Carrool would not be sold…so that means even if 100 million had been offerd (although crazy to turn that down) THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE SOLD AC!!!! END OFF!!!

• Sav

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

You could be doing Joey an injustice with this article. Perhaps it is the lack of ambition and lack of loyalty which is making a bad smell behind the scenes at SJP. Players form opinions too in the light of new information and maybe Joey just coaught a glimpse of the kind of people he has been working for.

• RememberShearer

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

TIME TO TAKE A STAND AGAINST ASHLEY ONCE AND FOR ALL, AND SHOW HIM WE HATE HIM AND DEREK AND WANT THEM OUT ….BY NOT ENETERING ST JAMES TO WATCH THE GAME AGAINST ARSENAL AND AS MANY GAMES AS IT TAKES TO GET THE FAT PRCK TO SELL HIS FULL STAKE IN OUR CLUB!!!

• coolcatcarter89

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM

If Joey signed a new contract today, who’s to say he won’t be heading for the exit come the summer? We’ve just seen a clear example of contracts been almost pointless.