Stephen Ireland’s First Interview – I’m Excited To Be Here

Stephen Ireland has had a terrible last 12 months of his career, but now he’s at Newcastle United on loan through the end of the season, where he is wanted and needed.

Stephen Ireland – at the Benton training grounds

The bad news is that it may be another full month before Ireland can start to play again, but he’s had his first interview at Newcastle with the local Evening Chronicle today, and this is what he had to say:

“It’s been very unfortunate to have two managers who didn’t really fancy me.” “They didn’t want me there, support me or even give me a chance.”
“I didn’t have five or six games in a row in 18 months.”

“You can’t work that way and be out for so long, and then expect everything at once.” “It’s been difficult. I haven’t played consecutively for five or six games, and hopefully I can do that here.” It’s a massive relief to get away because I wasn’t playing.”

Stephen has been really unlucky, because Italian Roberto Mancini (Man City) and Frenchman Gerard Houllier (Aston Villa) hardly gave him a fair crack of the whip,  to show what he could do while he was at his two previous clubs.

And of course the lad was Manchester City’s Player of the Season in 2009, and we know this lad can play a bit, and at that time the 24 year-old was one of the bets central midfielders in the Premier League.

We always thought at that time  he would be great at Newcastle, and to think we’ve got him and could even sign his for a low £8M in the summer is unbelievable.

But Stephen  currently has a knee injury ( we had thought it was a hamstring injury?), and it may be a while before he can start training at Newcastle:

“It’s very frustrating,” “I’m not saying I want to play every minute of every game – I’m here to be part of the team and the squad.”“I want to crack on and be involved straight away – it’s not nice sitting in the physio room.” “You don’t want to watch the lads training, you want to be among it.”

“I saw a specialist the other day, and he reckoned it would be a month with my knee.” “But I’ve had an injection, so hopefully I’ll be able to do some heavy training.” “I’m very eager to go.” “I’m a good healer, and really determined to get going and get myself quicker.”

Ireland has played 170 times for Man City with a good 23 goals and he appeared just 12 times for Aston Villa, since moving there last August.

His last game for Aston Villa was the 3-0 defeat against Liverpool in December, but like any good professional all he wants to do now is play for Newcastle, as many times as possible before the end of the seaosn.

Stephen continued:

“It feels so long since I was playing games.” “This is a new challenge. It’s a lovely city and a nice training ground. It’s really good here, and I want to be part of everything.”

“I’m really excited – I just want to come out of the traps and play to the best of my ability.” “Hopefully I can bring some of my ability to the team.”

Stephen will be welcomed to Newcastle with open arms by the fans, and of course this lad has shown he can put the ball into the back of the net too.

• geoff777

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Injured and no clause to buy …. another fantastic signing by our inept management.

• Spuggy

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Can’t wait to see him, we need him in midfield with Routledge gone we’re thin on options. Should have a quality MF when both Ireland and Arfa join Barton and Tiote! And goals in them too which we’re gonna need from midfield for the rest of the season.

• IceIceGeordie

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:31 PM

DAMN !

• Spuggy

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:34 PM

geoff777 – are you the most negative person in the world?

You need to lighten up mate seriously. Ireland will provide some much needed reinforcements and he is a good player. Would you rather we didn’t have him for the last half of the season?

He’ll be back soon and available for about 4 months of the season.

• Marty-Toon

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Could be a great player for us but as usual for our players with ability,they are Injured 🙁
    We need him and several others fit and very soon

• leedodd

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM

So When will He Be available to Play Then ??

• dave 1961

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Spuggy

it’s hard to see any light at the end of our tunnel, Hans Christian Anderson could not get a happy ending for our club, because when things start to look promising the fat man throws a spanner in the works.

• geoff777

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM

@spuggy

I’m negative because the clubs dealings make me sick to the stomach.
    I’ve been seriously miserable and in a bad mood all week.

4 months – he’s weeks away from playing, out of form and it’s February.

When do you think our season ends?

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hate to say it but the mackems have a much stronger side than ours. I will be surprised if we stay up this season to be honest.

• andre29

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:55 PM

HERE you can watch all newcastle matches http://stjamesstream.blogspot.com/

• supermacnumber9

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM

“could even sign (Gosling) for a low £8M in the summer” – can anyone confirm this

• geoff777

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:59 PM

@supermacnumber9

Gosling has already signed.

Ed’s being optimistic that Villa will sell Ireland to us at that price.

• supermacnumber9

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I’ve just been looking at today’s previews and see that many teams have top scorers with only 4-6 goals so we are not that unusual.
    What worries me is that Best is getting no encouragement from any one – he got a hat-trick for god’s sake – come on son! This is your big chance, rise to it – 1-0 will change everything, play your heart out and become a hero!
    Talking of heroes, I see Liverpool’s top scorer is listed as a certain AC with 11 – weep!

• Burni

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Geoff I agree with u but I can’t help but think ur an angry person! Literally every post is like the end of the world!

• veto

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:04 PM

fantastic player , hope everything go’s well and he’s on the books next season , we have needed a player like him for going on 4 seasons now

• AndyMac

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Suggy

Thats from the horses mouth. So if he’s match fit by March 1st (which I doubt) he’ll get 10 games tp prove his worth.

• supermacnumber9

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

geoff777 – Gosling has already signed.

signed what? only a simple loan as far as I know, he has a contract at AV for 3 more years – we appear to be paying to get him fit

• veto

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

^ GOSLING

• JohnnyBrookes

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Im with Geoff, its a situation now where we have to do something, there is no point just eating shit all the time like we are.

The mackems are way ahead of us at the moment no matter of we beat them 5-1 or what, With Muntari and sessengon they have strengthened with the money from bent

• veto

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM

gosling was from everton in the summer

• supermacnumber9

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:12 PM

I aso see that Arsenal have nearly as many out injured as us – and with 2 cups to come – are they up for a fight? We must get stuck into them, they won’t want bookings or more injuries – they might just be ready for taking – one simple little goal is all I ask

• supermacnumber9

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:17 PM

veto // Feb 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM – gosling was from everton in the summer

sorry – of course, this situation is making me demented! I meant Ireland from ed’s leader – I think I need a couple of pints and chill out until final score at 5

• geoff777

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:23 PM

@supermacnumber9

You seem to have missed Gosling signed on a free from Everton in summer 2010 because Everton messed around giving him a new contract.

Hi Burni,

Yes I am angry at the moment about the way the club is run and the lack of ambition.
    I stupidly thought we were building a team that was about 2 years away from challenging for the title.
    My dreams have been replaced by a loathing for Pardew and his lies.
    I already hated Ashley to the max.

I’m not an angry person my life.
    I live in a tranquil Spanish mountain village and enjoy photography, playing the guitar and looking after my three donkeys, dogs, cats & pet sheep.
    So a very chill & laid-back lifestyle …

I photoblog here if you are interested.

• Spuggy

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM

We will still look a lot stronger in a few weeks with Ireland, S Taylor, Gosling and possibly Arfa starting to train heavy.

I know we’re not in a good situation but we still have quality in the team with Collo, Enrique, Jonas, Tiote, Barton and Nolan who will hopefully be played forward behind Best/ranger where he can do the most damage.

• Spuggy

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Tiote is back today too and that will make a huge difference.

• Toon XI

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I’m with Geoff on this one as well. Any positive vibe I had regarding this season has been wiped away by poor management. I am not upset at the selling of Carroll…I am just upset at the TIMING of the selling of Carroll. Our idiotic management left us woefully short up front. Inexcusable!

• i Toon

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM

team 4 today

Harper
    Simpson Williamson Coloccini Enrique

Barton Nolan Tiote Gutierrez

Best Lovenkrands

• Vinicinhos

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Good lucky Ireland.You’re a good player.