Let’s Give Alan Pardew Some Credit

In that first half on Saturday, it not only looked like we would end up as big losers, but our goal difference (it was at +3 t the start of the game) would also be shot, and that’s always worth a point in a relegation struggle.

Alan Pardew – has shown great personal courage so far at Newcastle

And that’s exactly what we were thinking at half time, and already writing an article about how we shouldn’t over-react to getting hammered, and it was only one game and just 3 points lost – and all that kind of stuff.

But all that had to be scrapped after Newcastle came roaring back like Lions in that second half.

And it turns out that Alan Pardew was given considerable verbal abuse from a particular fan in that first half, from just behind the dugout.

Alan was asked today if he had heard the abuse:

“I was aware of him. That ain’t the first time it has happened.” “I have had it several times.”“I have had it at West Ham, Southampton, Charlton and Reading.” “You get days when it does not look right.”

“It did not look right and if I was a fan I would be questioning the manager about the preparation of that team.” “The truth is I even felt before the game that it did not feel right. I could sense something was wrong.”

“We were genuinely feeling sorry for ourselves.” “There was a hangover from the events of this week and to some degree, some of the players, maybe they were asking, ‘is it all about Andy Carroll?’”

“Well it isn’t. it is about Newcastle and they showed that.” “I am not saying to you anything different than what I mentioned at half-time.”

“It was not how to approach a Premier League game. You have to pressure people, tackle people, turn people around, force them into errors. You can force any team into errors.”

“Part of my message was that you cannot sulk in front of 52,000 people at St James’ Park.” “They were letting themselves down more than anyone else.” “They showed to their family and friends that they are better than that.”

We always suspected last week that Alan was as devastated as any fan that the club lost Andy Carroll, and while he put a brave face on it at his press conference last Tuesday, you could kind of sense he never wanted Andy to leave – whatever the transfer fee was.

But one thing we have learned about Alan, and as we said yesterday, this has nothing to do with him being a good football manager or a bad one, he has shown immense personal courage since he arrived on Tyneside.

He seems a really good guy, just like Chris, and whatever happens to him at Newcastle, we will always respect him for the courage he has shown, which comes in times of great adversity – like last Monday as one example, and at half time on Saturday as another.

Alan continued:

“It has been a tough week to be a football manager here – a tough and the toughest I have had, as you can imagine – but at the end of  it I am elated. It is just a weird feeling.”

We wonder if that fan who gave Alan all that abuse stayed for the seocnd half, and was celebrating in Geordie heaven like the rest of us, when Cheick scored hiss wonder goal.

He probably was.

• liam85

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I don’t mind Alan Pardew. He’s calm and assertive… I hope we can continue him being liek this and we keep him aqs a manager for a while so we can progress as a team

• boater

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:42 AM

4rsen4l

• Brettoon

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Boater

🙂

Great words from Pardew again! Brilliant half time team talk. Probably the best. Wish we could see a vid of that.

Oh Ed – do you have any news about free agents? Ewerthon etc?

• john_cena163

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM

M exicted to watch the full match highlight at 6pm, stl 46min left. Cant wait to c da game again

• rwpoynter

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The fan who gave AP a lot of mouth at halftime, hopefully gave him some credit at the end, but knowing that sort, I doubt it. Moral of the story… Move on from the Andy Carroll episode. One thing AP certainly inherited and seems to be fortifying is the team spirit. What he told them at half time I don’t know, but it worked. I am willing to admit, along with most, that at 4-0 down after 25 minutes to Arsenal , are we going to salvage anything from this one?, then I would have thought you were taking the piss! Once again, conquering this inconsistency, seems to be a priority. Please everybody, give Ranger, Best and Peter Lovenkrands a chance! None of them have had any real chance to shine and develop yet this season as they have had very little playing time, but all three have got it in them to get a lot better, which they now have the chance to do. Carroll may not have played for the rest of the season for us anyway, so £36m, thanks very much. With gutsy displays like Saturday this club will not go down.

• Magforlife

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM

The manager is not the problem !
    Its what is standing behind him that bothers us.
    Will our best players head for the exit, will the 35million be spend on players?
    Thats the issue at the club, avoid relegation then lets see.
    How many times have we said that, lets see !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DanToon

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM

I loved Pardew’s reaction when we levelled the score, pure aggressive passion. I love to see that in my team’s manager!!

• stuckdownsouth

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Said before, really, really warming to Pards, his fronted up to all the flack about his appointment, and he’s had a good start.

Agree with Ed I honestly believe he wanted to keep AC and was gutted to lose him.

• Kaivyn-HelloHooligan

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:29 PM

So far so good for Pardew…hope he can get some players via free transfer.

• nufc.romania

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM

what free agents can we sign in this time ? 😕

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM

So Pardew’s trying to make out it was him that turned the game around, it was the fans that turned the game, and especially Barton reacting to the fans, the same as it was not Pardew’s fault for the first half, it was the awful depressing week the club had been put thru. Let’s hope now we can use this game to push us on to get the 5 wins that will get us to safety. I was at the game I know what changed the play. & I will admit I’m not his biggest fan, if he wants my support he has to earn it, he was not responsible for Saturday’s game the events of last week were. But I expect Pardew to build on it; we are so close to a place in the Europa league, how much would Graham Carr need to spend to get us there. Hopefully Ashley has learned a big lesson over this self inflicted fiasco.

• Davies

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Dave 1961 – Are you really 50?

You know what changed the game???

The manager gave the team the hairdryer at half time and they came out and won the game.

The fans changed the game? Really? It would have been nice of them to chip in with a few goals in the first half as well. That would have saved us a lot of hassle. Ididot.

• ONLINE GUY

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM

To the tune of Amore

Arsenal where Shite and we gave them a fright
    at St James’s

And Wenger he whinged when that tackle went in at St James’s

And Best scored a goal that the ref overruled
    at St’James’s

We beat them 5-4 and we could have had more at St James’s !

………………AG