We Never Say Die At This Football Club – Steven Taylor

25 year-old Steven Taylor, who came through the Newcastle Youth Academy, is hopefully not too long away from returning to the first team, following his hamstring injury.

Steven Taylor – two to three weeks away from return

And Steven watched the amazing 4-4 draw with Arsenal on Saturday, which is getting the Newcastle team plaudits from all over the place,  since their amazing comeback on Saturday afternoon.

Steven picked up his hamstring injury in the first-half of  January’s  5-0 win hammering of West Ham, but returned to light training at the end of last week.

Steven hopes to be ready in about two to three weeks time, but he’s hoping it could be even sooner than that, as he spoke on the Newcastle United site today.

“I’m getting closer,” “This week, I’ll have some more good, hard sessions with Dave Henderson as part of my rehab. I’ll hopefully have one more week of that, see how it goes and perhaps step things up further after that.”

“I’m feeling good now and I’m feeling stronger. I’m dying to get back and after seeing the Arsenal game on Saturday, they’re the games you want to be involved in.”

“Maybe not the first half performance but in the second half, after everyone probably wrote us off, it was amazing to watch. But we never say die at this football club, and look what happened.”

“I absolutely loved watching it – but I want to be playing again and hopefully that won’t be far away.”

It will be good to get Steven back into the side, and we have to think he will be a starter when he’s fully fit again, but Coloccini and Williamson still have a few games to prove they should remain in the starting central defensive positions.

And a  couple of interesting anecdotes  about last Saturday’s game from stateside.

My doctor left me a message on the phone after the game, which he had watched, and left congratulations on the fantastic comeback of Newcastle  .  I didn’t get the message until Sunday morning and he ‘s a big baseball  fan, well at least he was.

And my son Neil couldn’t watch the game any longer after they were 3-0 down after just 9 minutes, so he left the house, and returned around the time the game ended,  and he looked at the score on this web-site and couldn’t believe it – and then immediately called me – what   happened?

Where do I begin?

But I bet Neil wasn’t the only one who couldn’t watch Newcastle being mauled in that first half, but wasn’t it interesting that the lads became the Lions in that second half and mauled the Arsenal defense.

It was just an amazing game that will be remembered forever, especially by the people who were privileged to be at the game – well at least privileged to be at the game after the break. 😀

Howay The Lads!!

Comments very welcome.

• Markaccus

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM

This might give williamson a kick up the butt, his standard has slipped last couple of games. Lack of competition for places can be bad.

• Markaccus

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:55 PM

1st lol

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

yes 2 bad games in a row but the game before he had his best game by a mile lets hope hes had a bost saturday

• boater

Feb 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Your anecdotes are incredible Ed, never mind interesting! A doctor called and left a message, and someone switched off the game early and was very surprised when they saw the final score!

Surely, it’s only a matter of time before someone buys the movie rights to those 2 corkers!!!

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

i watched the so called soft penalty frame by frame and he was pushed over, just hope he now stops pushing himself so he does not give any away

• connor_nufc

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Taylor and colicinni starters williamson too dodgey

• ginkoh

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Hopefully he can stay fit at the end. Don’t look like he’s injury prone but he’s so unlucky about that.

• daneevz

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:06 PM

williamson very dodgy but can have good games but needs mo experience and he’ll be a decent player in time.

• stuckdownsouth

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:07 PM

The defence was poor as a Unit in th first half not just Willo, Jose gave Walcott far to much space. Actually I take that back, Simpson looked like a Prem player all game on Saturday!

• mattnufc

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Taylor always injured

• daneevz

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Taylor has become a bit of a injury prone

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM

stuckdownsouth, best game simp had on tyneside spot on, head and shoulders above the rest saved a goal in the secod half too….

whats the latest mates, just getting on today?

• boater

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Williamson every time. Can’t believe you lot are writing him off. His aerial ability is crucial, and he has played in nearly all of our big wins and best results since he was signed.

• GeordieGerman

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM

If Saylor had been playing we may have had 4-2 but this is Newcastle so probably 2-2.

• GeordieGerman

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM

boater, I’m not writing him off. I just think he needs competition, so he has to fight for a starting place.

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:26 PM

I have some stills of the so called soft penalty it’s actually a stone wall penalty Williamsons getting pushed of their no 7. I have stills from 3 angles but its 100% penalty, let me know if anyone wants to see them & I will upload them.

• GeordieGerman

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM

dave 1961, don’t think anyone here has a problem with the penalty. Maybe you should upload them onto an Arsenal blog.

• Rafael

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:35 PM

agree with geordiegerman

• Rafael

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM

on both comments

• Thump

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Dave honestly mate, I’m not trying to play the c**t here but haven’t you anything better to do? The penalty was given and that’s all that matters. Sod the gooners who are whining about it and talking about Interpol – it won’t happen and if any of you are worried about it, you need to have a word with yourselves.

• carrollsinger

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Rosisky pushed him in the back with both hands

• Thump

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Yes he did, and the other player jumped into him. Like I said to an Arsenal fan the other day: it would be a free kick elsewhere on the pitch – why not a penalty?

Didn’t get a response.

• The Entertainers

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM

I prefer Taylor to willo, have always supported the lad, even when a few supporters wanted him gone a season ago or two !
    But Williamson despite the dodgy first half has been an awesome signing and does play better against less mobile / larger opponents. Arsenal are to quick for him, for most defenders if honest. But willo lacks speed and can be a bit static at times, arsenal just love defenders like that! Not writing the lad off because there have been times when he’s a rock !

• leedodd

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM

We Need Him. Even On The bench in the Next 2 Weeks or so. Also a Free transfer Centre Forward would Be Good. ROLL ON THE NEXT HOME GAME !!!!!!!!

• cyprus

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Don’t know how much Taylor has improved since he is injury-prone, but he ‘contributed’ big time to our dodgy defence that took us down. I feel much safer with W and C. Now add S and E to that and our defence is quite good. In truth, Arsenal has ripped apart most defences this year.

• daneevz

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:06 PM

i prefer s.taylor to williamson we probably conceed less.

• coolcatcarter89

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:09 PM

coolcatcarter89 // Feb 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM

The summer.

Out:

Lovenkrands – £1m – £15k p/w
    Smith – £0 (Leeds, fingers-crossed) – £60k p/w
    Xisco – nominal fee – £35k p/w
    Sol – Contract expired – £20k p/w
    Perch – £500k – £15k p/w
    Raylor – £1.5m – £25k p/w
    Krul/Forster? Approx £5m – £15k p/w

Income = £8m

I’d estimate that would slash, including Andy Casserole’ wage and Joey’ admirable pay-cut, £200k off the wage bill, use £60k to give Cheick and Jose their well-earned wage rise, probably doubling their basic salary, £60k to pay for a shiny new striker.

In:

(Shiny, new, prolific, mega striker) – £20m – £60k p/w
    Elmander – Zilch! – £30k p/w
    Gervinho – £10m – £40k p/w
    Chamberlain – £10m – £15k p/w
    Warnock – £5m – £30k p/w

Outgoings = £45m Wage total = £175k

Net spend (including fee for AC) = £2m
    Wage bill = -£25k p/w

Voila! Everyone is happy.

If Mike is feeling generous 😉 push the envelope and sign an accomplished CB for a maximum of £8m . Together, with a clean bill of health, we’d have an awesome team, with two quality players for each position, not to mention a few exciting youngsters to berth in the Carling Cup. Nobody can tell me this isn’t realistic, surely??

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM

thump

that was spot on actually I don’t I have had an op on my knee a couple of weeks ago and on Saturday at the match I jumped up on my left leg a tore a ligament in my foot, so I’m stuck by the pc at the moment, I would like to have a drink but I can’t because I’m a diabetic, & I suffer from idiopathic anglogdema, right pain but I’m stuck like this for 4 more weeks, anyways I used to get paid for analysing video before I retired & I do it for you lads for nothing.

• GeordieToon89

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:22 PM

coolcarter? why sign a £5million left back when we have Enrique who is 10x the player Warnock is? we would need a younger player who is capable of stepping in just incase bt who isnt going to be demanding to play all the time.. i personally feel Kadar and Ferguson are more than capable of playing ther although id prefer Fergie on the left wing… agree with all your other signings mine would be:

Elmander – Free
    Seb Larsson – Free
    Kieran Westwood – Free
    Pablo Piatti – £6million
    Steven Ireland – £5million
    Seydou Doumbia – £10million
    Mevlut Erding – £7million
    Gervinho – £8million

Total = £36million on 8 excellent and realistic players..!!

• Shot Bru

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM

No way dave 1961 you have to be one of the unluckiest blokes around at the moment 🙂

• GeordieToon89

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:25 PM

actually i would probz take Elmander off my list as we have Best-Ranger and Ameobi already and id personally have them over him dont really rate him if im honest

• Shot Bru

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Steven Taylor could also be used as an auxiliary striker….

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Yall see besty’s interview, maybe i have a soft spot for the underdawg, perhaps thats why im a newcastle supporter to begin with, but this lad is really growing on me. He is the type of player newcastle need. He will never leave tyneside unless the club doesnt resign him. He is loyal, good natured, and a fighter. Probably doesn’t have the most skill in the world, probably isnt the fastest in the world, but the kid knows how to put the ball in the onion bag. Anybody who scores a brace against arsenal has to be worth something.(yes i counted the goal he was called offsides for but we know it was a good goal.) I just really like besty and i think he reflects newcastle as a whole, underdawgs with alot of heart that makes up for some of the shortcomings. Gonna get me a besty strip, give that lad the #9 shirt. He is sitting on 4 prem league goals (should be 5) in only like 5 starts and 3 or 4 cameo’s. Pretty good return this season. I think he will hit double digits before the season is done and i would like to see him pair up with ranger. I thinbk Ranger is better then Judas was at his age, and i think when its all said and done Ranger will be a better player and have a better career. Ranger is so strong and quick and holds the ball up well, he just needs more time on the pitch, and once he gets that first goal look out, he will go on a goal scoring rampage….

Things look and feel so much better on tyneside then last week, Andy who? he isnt even gonna play for the rest of the season and when he comes back who says he will be the same player, plus he is injury prone. Not to mention, Liverpool arent gonna use him like we did. We put balls in the box from all over the pitch to him. Liverpool wont play like that, they will keep the ball on the floor and try to play pretty and Andy can’t play like that. Truth be told, Joey Barton should get half his wages cuz most of the goals he scored were from perfect crosses from barton that Tim Krul could even put in the onion bag….lol

Howay the lads! Ed keep up the good work mate, love this blog it has been my home away from home for the better part of 3 years now since i discovered it. Thanks mate….

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:38 PM

its rather funny I actually think no way when i read about people like me, but then think they should have seen that one coming, I actually exploded once losing have my blood supply, often feel sorry for the wife who get the job of cleaning the mess up.

• GeordieGerman

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Thanks for the nightmares dave. 🙁

• lewman

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:02 PM

cyprus i remember the game aginst arsenal in the relegation season where we were all over them and then taylor went off and they demolished us after. taylor missed most of that season but he played well when he had a chance.
    also he has that same attitude towards each game as joey does and is another leader on the pitch but i do admit he can give the other teams counter attack opportunities as he often runs high up the pitch but he is way faster than williamson and is an expert at blocking shots as he has no fear.

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Still can’t miss the football though, and I can’t go on my own in case I black out the cops would probably think I was drunk & tazer me or something. I used to even go to some away games on my own, but it would be too dangerous now, my condition is so bad their only 6 hospitals in the country can treat me, but they don’t know I go to the match. long way up to level 7.

• Thump

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Sorry mate, I couldn’t help but laugh at that because I’ve done the exact same thing. (Injured self during celebration)

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:21 PM

that ok i dont mind you have to see the funny side or it would drive you mad, mind when we loose im to live with the wife deserves a medal

• dave 1961

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I did type impossible it seems to have a mind of its own tonight, I will have to check for a virus, I have been searching for that takeover info just to find the story was a practise journalistic article from 2009.