Barton – I’ve Only Played Well For 14 Or 15 Months

We hope that Joey Barton signs his new deal at the Newcastle club sooner rather than later.

Joey Barton – in action on Saturday

It’s so important that Newcastle keep Joey on Tyneside, that perhaps they could even go in and give him a little bit more than they’ve already offered the Liverpudlian. Take a little out of that £35M we just received, £30M of it in cool cash.

Joey has only really come good this season, thanks to the three serious foot injuries he has had during his time on Tyneside.

In his first three full seasons at Newcastle, Joey played only 47 times for Newcastle with 3 goals, and yet this season he has appeared  24 times with 5 goals.

So you see what we mean.

Joey talked about his time on Tyneside, and he is nothing –  if not truthful in what he says:

“I’ve spoken to the club, and in principle agreed a deal. That’s where we’re at. Nothing’s changed from my point of view.”“Obviously, there’s the Andy Carroll]saga, and it would make anyone think, ‘Is the club going in the right direction and are they going to reinvest that kind of money?’

“The most important thing for me is the affection I’ve got for this football club. I think it’ll be a massive boost for everyone if I sign. Okay, certain players have moved on, but I want to be a part of it.

“I still feel I’ve got unfinished business here. I’ve only played well for 14 or 15 months and some would say less.”  “I want to do at this football club what I came here to do, which is to try and take it to the next level.

“Nothing’s changed for me. I’m just keen to get it done, put the speculation to bed and keep enjoying my football.”

Joey may not be modest, but he’s absolutely right – his signing a new contract would be massive for the Newcastle club, and we hope he does it soon, because that will show Joey has leadership.

We hear you just cannot shut Joey up in the dressing room, and if he isn’t the vice captain at Newcastle already – he should be.

Joey is the darling of the Newcastle crowd, and the 28 year-old has been simply magnificent this season, and a midfield trio of Barton, Nolan and Tiote is so strong, that they ran the game for Newcastle in the second half on Saturday, and Arsenal were completely outplayed in a game that will be remembered forever.

And just in case you didn’t know it already – the guts and glory that was Newcastle United on Saturday made inspiring  headline news around the world – and you can bet the club has a lot more world-wide fans today than it did last Friday.

We’ve lost Andy, and that’s now history and we cannot do anything about it, but Newcastle have to sign up Joey, Tiote and Enrique to long term deals soon.

If  we can keep these lads on Tyneside, it’s a great base to build the new Newcastle United on.

• G

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Somebody get that man a pen now.

• Toonkistan

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I am still to witness an article in which Ed doesnt mention AC :$
    Joey is a legend

• Markaccus

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

He’s such a massive player for us now, give him some of Carrolls wages, along with el torro, and we will be in great shape

• Doocey

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I don’t think that picture in the article is of him in action on Saturday… isn’t that Chrissy Hughton suited up in the distance?

Carling Cup me thinks.
    Anyway, get the guy on a new contract and sort it out. He has been playing some great football this season; the likes of which will keep us in the league.

• donegalmag

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Joey…..legend….i think so

well done not reactin to diaby at weekend, shows how very far he has grown….

keep it up joey…..HTL

• boater

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM

These quotes are from the weekend. How many articles do you intend to squeeze out of 3 paragraphs from Barton Ed?

• supervil

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Doocey – that picture’s from when we beat them at the Emirates.

• Davies

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Aye, Hoots is wearing a poppy. Would have been the match we beat them in their own back yard. Love it. Good choice.

• Burni

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

dont know why anyone complains about any of eds articles……. he can write as he likes, whether sensationalist or repetitive. If people dont like it move on to another blog instead of commenting about things you dont like, its annnoying.

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:10 PM

what we should do is start a loyalty book, so the fans can sign and leave a thank you to players and staff who the fans feel have done something special for our club this would be better than money as most footballers are multi millionaires, but a book signed by the fans I would expect most players would treasure for the rest of their lives, it helped Ben Arfa. Anybody got any thoughts? Good or bad.

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I was thinking along the lines of a wedding album style sort of ring binder with add in pages, a quality book made & paid for by the club but message & signed by the fans I could make a mock-up and send it to Llambias & Ashley. if it’s a nutty idea tell me also.

• Burni

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Dave, sounds like a brilliant Idea but I dont think all players would appreciate it coz, as AC proved some are purely about money……

but if I was a player, I’d love it!

• bentoon

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Sounds like a good idea dave, i have my doubts about wether the club would want to pay for them though.

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM

it would not cost that much money under £50 if you get a lot done at once

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Yes it was only meant for special circumstances 10 year service, players that show total loyalty, you can say many things about Barton but he always gives 100%, others too I might get flamed but Shola too as he to always gives his best, but it was not a general thing for everyone, just a special thank you to the fans. Something that is earned.

• max

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:57 PM

all nufc sign..

• Thump

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Hasn’t this been quoted every few days? Howay Ed, let’s not regurgitate things again.

• LeoMacedonia-NUFC

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:59 PM

my first comment for my lovely nufc… 😉

• LeoMacedonia-NUFC