Let’s Hope Dan Gosling Is Now Over The Worst

It has certainly been a tough slog back to fitness for Newcastle’s 21 year-old Dan Gosling.

Dan Gosling – this lad has had a very tough 10 months

But after having a second corrective operation on his knee, to remove a floating cartilage, hopefully things are back on track for the former Plymouth and Everton midfielder.

It must have been very difficult for this youngster  to go through the last 10 month,  but hopefully in a couple of months he’ll be playing regularly for Newcastle United.

Gosling is back on the road to recovery, and the Plymouth-born youngster, who turned 21 last Wednesday (Happy Birthday!),  has said this has been the toughest year of his life – and that doesn’t surprise us one little bit.

Dan had played so well in his two Reserve team appearances, and then came on for his debut as a substitute at Sunderland, but after that, his knee swelled up and he had to have it operated on once again, two weeks ago.

This is what the England U21 International said today:

“The swelling never really went away, so I was constantly fighting an uphill battle really,”

“I was back and I felt good, but every day was the same that when I was training or playing it would get really stiff. The fluid on my knee kept coming back and it was preventing my thighs from working, so I was losing muscle all the time.”

“They went back in, drained the fluid out twice and there was a big lump of scar tissue which was preventing me from getting full flexion and straightening my leg properly.”

“They removed that, so now hopefully it’s done the trick. It feels a lot better already, so I think once the swelling goes down I can kick on and get back to what I was doing.”

“The wounds have healed up nicely and it’s now just a matter of being patient with it, respecting the knee, and giving it as much time as it needs.”  “I still want a few games before the end of the season and will be working as hard as I can to do that,”

“If the knee’s not ready I will have to wait, but if it is then hopefully if I get a chance I will take it with both hands.”  “The main aim is to be fit for pre-season though. I don’t want to have any niggles or anything like that.”

“I want to get through it fine and then hopefully get a full season under my belt.”   “This year has been the worst one of my life, and i didn’t think I would ever have to go through something like this.”

” But I have, and hopefully I come out the other side more grown up and knowing more about my body.” “It makes you stronger as a person. I’ve had some really tough days but the people closest to me have helped me a lot.”

“I owe a lot of gratitude to them and the physios, who have helped work me through it. Everyone has been great.”

Good words from Dan.

That old saying about if it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger, will no doubt hold true for the youngster, who looked a really good player when he was back playing, even though it was just for three games.

One of the big problems when you have a major operation, like an ACL, is the scar tissue, and sometimes the surgeons have to go back in there to remove the tissue, and that seems to have happened with Dan.

Scar tissue will a big problem with Alan Smith, as he  recovers from his latest ankle injury, because it’s the same ankle he very badly damaged, while he was at Manchester United.

Hopefully, Dan is now over the worst, and there will be no further complications.

It’s very very difficult coming back from an injury like this, and it tests both your physical and mental toughness big time – we know through personal experience.

But we’ll be happy enough if  Dan is  fit and ready to go next season, although if he can get a few games in towards the end of the season, that would be good too.

Our best wishes go out to Dan for a full and complete recovery over the next six weeks or so.

• gorskino10

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Feel sorry for him i prey this isnt a long term problem like Dyer has etc… he is young hopefully this will go away and we can see a fully fit Gosling.

• toonyoyo

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:35 PM

i’m of the opinion that we should rest him till next season let him heal properly then i’m sure we will see a fantastic young player

• scottsellars...unsunghero

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM

i can see this lad being a future toon captain he is that good , am sure the injury is a one off all seems to be off one incident and the one knee , probably just rushed back to quick , i have alot of faith in this lad

• superclivemendonca

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Perhaps we tried to do too much too soon. I’m with toonyoyo, rest Gosling till the start of next season.

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

As long as he stays positive the lad will beat the injury, as a rule most good footballers have what it takes, to make it to this level.

• Thump

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Agreed with 2 and 3 – let him rest. Same goes for Arfa unless absolutely necessary.

• boonarmy

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:44 PM

leave him till next season, no need to rush him back now.

• boonarmy

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM

does any know anything about sylvain marveaux read somewere he was on his way.. was it rubbish ?

• daneevz

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:52 PM

i kinda agree rest both Dan&BenArfa but really wanna see B.Arfa play again maybe just have em both have a few mins againts W.B.A end of season??

• daneevz

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:53 PM

did hear us and liverpool want him on a free in the summer (S.Marveaux)

• Howay The Lads

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Don’t bring him back until he’s needed. If that be next season or WBA then so be it.

• free giveaways

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM

boonarmy ;

No it’s not rubbish but Liverpool want him too so I don’t know if we’ll get him;

• donegalmag

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM

great prospect..hope he does well..

should take his time coming back, i kno its dificult for younger players as they are more egar to get back playing..

get back for a full pre season and get a few friendlies with the full team under his belt..

• BeeGuy

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM

It will be nip and tuck to the end of the season & hope NUFC do not have to risk Gosling in order to try to stay up. If NUFC can get themselves 2 wins & a tie better than team #18 in the next 2 weeks, the team should make it through okay.

• GeordieToon89

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM

anyone on here sit in the singing section at the ground??

just wondering wher or if wer getting moved as i think this is getting closed due to the constant chants against FCB..gutted about this like cos the atmosphere is great up ther now we gota give it up to familys to sit next to the away fans makes perfect sense..

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB YOU FAT COCKNEY BA***RD

• partizanovec

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM

One year without playing must be very painful and frustrating.
    The club management must be very cautious with him and Ben Arfa, no need for rushing them back.
    I hope they are ready soon, and the same goes for Saylor, Raylor, Shola, Smith, Kazenga, Vuckic, Airey…

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Howay the lads!!!! whats up mates, first time on all day, whats the latest?

• G

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

geordietoon89, gutted for you that you need to move your seat (you and all of the others in fact), but if I’m honest, I’m glad they are doing away with the ‘singing section’. I’ve always found it a point of embarrassment since they introduced the concept. An unwashed fan I often see in the pub gives me loads of grief too. Plus, with kiddie number 2 on the way now I will be delighted if there is more room in the family enclosure, from an entirely self-serving point of view of course.

• partizanovec

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Now watching Irish vs Welsh.
    Gary Speed. Is that man getting older?
    I can’t see a difference, still looking the same as when he played for us.
    Sgt, not much news are happening today.

• lewman

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM

no news really sgt, although ed has put a few regurgitated stories out so we have something to comment on but thats all it is really

• lewman

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:48 PM

oh apart from the ten year season ticket price freeze and 10per cent discount for existing season ticket holders plus a few seating plan changes at sjp.

• jimiley

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Why do we sell fit players and buy crocks eg Gosling, HBA and Ireland. loony Toons.

• lewman

Feb 8, 2011 at 8:58 PM

to be fair jmiley we havent sold a fit player for some time now

• GeordieGerman

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:01 PM

lewman, good answer.

• nicolnj

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:10 PM

LOL @ lewman

• dave 1961

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I was reading an article on Alexei Mordashov one of the world’s richest men worth over $23 b and apparently Newcastle’s richest fan and whilst studying for his Bachelor of Arts / Scienc
    at University of Northumbria he went to every home game, never read about any pending takeovers but at least we have someone out there that has the power and wealth to rescue the club one day.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:24 PM

I hope he takes his time and works hard in the close season.

• Jose Enrique

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Imagine the newcastle team of the future: Forster, Simpson, Taylor, Kadar, Enrique. Lua lua, Tiote, Gosling, Vuckic, Ben Arfa. Ranger

• daneevz

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Nufc not intrested in bringing L.Robert back are they hes 35 but is a free agent after leaving Larrissa??? lol dunno what i think bout tha??

• daneevz

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:20 PM

see we after Swansea boy Pratley in summer on a freebie. Being frm Swansea myself he aint a bad freebie to have gets about a bit for a tall chap.

• lewman

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM

is pratley a defender daneevz as they have a very good defence that welsh team.

• lewman

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM

i mean swansea not wales

• Richy_c90

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:41 PM

daneevz – just imagine this again

wouldnt mind him on the last 20 mins of a game

• jimiley

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Lewman,
    Fair answer, but our crap owner only sanctions the purchase of crocks. Why? Surely we can buy a fit player. Or do they cost too much?

• jimiley

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

Jose @ 28
    Am I supposed to be impressed? Just what do you think that team will win?

• ksmit

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:47 PM

To be honest we haven’t been really buying any crocked players other than HBA… and we had him on loan for a bit before he got injured. Gosling was a free transfer and Ireland is here on loan, part of the loan deal is his fitness so the club has actually covered there arse on that one…

• GeordieGerman

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM

we are answerable for HBA’s injury. So I think it’s only fair that we buy him. It’s like me lending something from a mate and breaking it. I wouldn’t expect any less than him to ask me to pay for it.

• Brutooon

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:54 PM

when he is fit, he will be a great player for us and england for the next 10 years 🙂

• baro

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM

All i hope is we don’t rush him back from his serious injury. Its very important as he is a top young player. It was very stupid rushing him back playing over 100 minutes in reserves and about 5 in Premier League. Anyways he is a top player and its better just giving him the time he needs if its until next season than just give him the time. Very important.

• davybtoon

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM

glad to see tavernier has been loaned for the rest of the season, hopefully kadar gets his loan extended to n they can both come bk next year along with forster and push for the first team, id love to see tavernier n kadar n dummitt used as cover for rb,cb,lb instead of havin to buy new players in along with lualua,vukic,ferguson n airey