Newcastle Interested In Bringing Pavlyuchenko To Tyneside?

Newcastle will need to bring in a top striker in the summer, and news today that the club may be interested in Russian striker Roman Pavlyuchenko.

Roman Pavlyuchenko – Newcastle target?

The Russian has hardly been happy at Spurs since he joined them in 2008 from Spartak Moscow, after an impressive showing in the 2008 European Nations Cup.

The news is that Roma may also be interested in the 6’2″ striker, and even Sunderland, so there will be few clubs in for the striker, who looks very  likely to leave the London club in the summer.

Pavlyuchenko confirmed last week, not for the first time, that he wanted to leave Spurs after he has found it difficult to hold down a first team place in London.

This is what Roman said yesterday:

“The way I see it, the manager just doesn’t trust me and it doesn’t matter if I play well, score goals or try my best in training – nothing will make him change his mind about me.”

“So I’m not going to extend my contract, which expires at the end of next season, and will try to leave the club over the summer transfer window”

Roman has made 83 appearances for Tottenham with 33 goals, and we thought during the European Nations Cup in 2008 that he would be great at Newcastle, although he hasn’t done as well as we thought he would do in London.

Tottenham paid £14M for the 29 year-old in the summer of 2008, and he would probably cost less than that in the summer, since he would have only one year left on his contract.

Roman has played 371 first class club games and scored 179 goals, and he has represented Russia 37 times with 15 goals.

What do you think?

• G

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I would take him, but I wouldn’t want to pay top dollar for him.

• MykToonFan

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Very good striker.

I’d be interested if we could partner him with Gervinho or Hulk…

• Charlietoon

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Hahaha he plays for Harry! So that means even if he thinks he is crap he will ask for 5 mill more than he paid for him.

• toonfan76

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM

From what i’ve heard he always plays a decent game for spurs the odd time he gets to play for them, if the price is right he’d be a good signing, But dodgy Arry will try to fleece us for as much as he can. Plus he’ll still be in a strop over the Andy Carroll no deal.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

He’s nearly 30 !!

• craigcoozy

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:55 AM

• craigcoozy

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I wud take this guy good all round finisher! Didnt relise he was pushin 30 mind so mayb not type player way trying to attract!But i doubt arry will sell him to us ! He still mift at not gettin carroll!! And knowing we hav 35m in bank he will want 10m!

• ArtyH

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Doesnt fit in with the age plan but a good player if bought for the right money, about £5m, no more.

• ginkoh

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Decent player but too old and past of his best. If short-term, yes but for long term replacement of Carroll, absolutely no.

• mark9403newcastle

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

I was saying this just as we sold AC….the lads an all round striker in my opinion perfect for us. Fair enough on the age front but with Best and Ranger pushing through I would definitely look to bring him in. I would look towards younger strikers too but not really sure who…hulk would be amazing but he would never join us and Lavezzi looked fantastic against Liverpool but im not really sure who is in our range….

• Davies

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Not for me thanks. I’d rather have someone with a little less mileage on the clock. He looks alright, but with the money that’s supposed to be available in the coming transfer window, I think we can do a bit better.

• john_cena163

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM

We dnt need him

• rahuliogeordio

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:09 AM

A lot of my friends are Spurs fans and there is a reason why he doesn’t get picked every week.

He is lazy and not actually very good.

He has scored some good goals but Crouch would be a better bet IMO .

• Davies

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Weird – A toon journo who looks at Mike Ashley’s business activities without the rage tinted specs of a toon fan.

At some point, people are going to have ot accept that Mike Ashley didn’t buy this club to p1ss us off. I’m not a fan of his, but I do wish people would stop acting as if he is deliberately triyng to ruin Newcastle United.

• cyprus

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

On Pavlychenko: Depends on price, would much rather have a 25 year old Latin American proven talent.

On Pardew: In truth, I think AP is a bit confused at what’s going on around him. So. let’s not ‘Love him’ (one of Ed’s previous titles) before he manages to keep us up. What was said during the break? If we are to believe JB, it has little to do with AP. He said they wanted to avoid a cricket score, that’s it! No mention of inspirational speeches etc, like we see in hollywood. I believe what JB said, having played football, it just sounds so right.

I don’t want to push AP (in fact I am desperate to ‘love him’ as Ed puts it!) but he hasn’t exactly pulled off anything yet: The ship was steady to start with, he weakened us in the Jan window (no right winger anymore, stupid to ‘sell’ Routledge), he took us on at eighth, now we are tenth…

• Stuart

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Thats abit out of date like Davies but a decent read all the same.

• skutball1892

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I seem to recall suggesting this bloke early January. As long as we don’t pay over the top for him, I’d take him like. But obviously I’d like to see someone better come in if they came along, a la Gervinho etc.

• daneevz

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:50 AM

decent player but being at spurs aint good when coming to sales he be way over priced and is tad older than what id expect us to go for

• singamagpie

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM

I prefer Bentdner (go on and criticize), younger and has the ability. Pav doesn’t seem to fit the BPL style… score goals here and there but overall contribution still suspect. Like Martins.

• toonyoyo

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:19 PM

no thank you i agree with singamagpie i would like to see bentdner and another young striker brought in and given a few years to play together lets keep this buy them young policy

• dak76

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

him or elmander…. would take pavlychenko, he scores on a regular basis when he does play, could play well with ranger..

• Oleg G

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Much better then Johan Elmander.
    The same hight (although he is not so built). But he is a better striker. Much better in front of the goal, a goal every 2.5 games, and he is not in the starting line up as far as I know so, he is also not at his best.

Not in our category of young players, but we should not not buy a player only because of his age (The question is – how many coins for him)

• boing123

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Pav is too old. There’s another good young and probably cheaper player from the Russian league that we should be looking at – Welliton.

• MT

Feb 10, 2011 at 4:52 AM

29 years old,he is not a goal machine.he is not worth 8m.we have many choice in the summer.
    unless the fat MA doesn’t give any money to invest the football team