Top Players Returning Soon For Newcastle

Shola Ameobi will return to training next week, after getting a face mask fitted in Detroit later this week,  and there was some more good news last night, that 19 year-old striker Phil Airey is fit again to train.

Phil Airey – returns to training

Phil was a standout last season when the U18 side reached the semi-final of the FA Youth Cup,  before going out to Aston Villa, and he looks a very good striker in the making, and of course was born north of Newcastle at Amble.

Phil made his Newcastle debut in that unfortunate game at Stevenage in the FA Cup last month, but would you believe it, he was then injured in training a few days later with a hamstring problem, otherwise Alan Pardew may have given him some additional first team action.

We notice the club still seems to have a lot more hamstring injuries than any other injuries,  and we wonder if Graeme Souness was onto something when he said back in 2005, it was the training pitches at Benton?

Along with the exciting Nile Ranger, Phil is another youngster to look out for, and may be able to do some kind of job for the Newcastle first team this season, although of course the lad still lacks experience.

Phil has looked good in the Reserves this season, and is certainly one to watch for the future, as he talked the the Newcastle official site yesterday:.

“It was very frustrating to get injured so soon after making my debut,” “I found it hard but I’ve dealt with it well and hopefully I’ll get my chance again.”

“The hamstring is okay now and I feel much better, so I’ll put a week’s training in and then see what happens. Hopefully I’ll get back to where I was straight away – scoring goals, doing what I do best.”

“I want to get back to playing again, scoring goals again, and then hopefully I’ll get my chance.”  “I was happy with what I did in my short time on the pitch at Stevenage.”

“The game was over and done with by the time I got on so I couldn’t really do anything to change that, but what I could do was try my best and work hard, which I did, so we’ll see what happens once I’ve trained for a week or two.”

Good words from Phil, who is not a top player, not yet anyway, but it’s also good to see some top  senior players returning to the fray for Newcastle, and Ryan Taylor is now in full training and will be joined today by Steven Taylor and Stephen Ireland.

Indeed Ryan Taylor will have a run-out for the Reserves side today, against Bedlington Terriers in the Northumberland Senior Cup,

So a week on Saturday against Bolton at home, which is our next game after tonight’s rather tough one at Birmingham, we should see the two Taylors, Stephen Ireland, Shola Ameobi and young Phil Airey, all up for selection, which has to be good news.

Then we expect Hatem Ben Arfa to come back to Newcastle in around two weeks time, to start his training with Newcastle, and hopefully it will not be too long after that, when he will be available to play for the first team.

Ben Arfa  was due on Tyneside for the Arsenal game, but with what happened in that second half,  there was certainly no news about the great French forward, but he has to now be close to coming back to train again at Newcastle, and of course he’ll get a great reception from the fans.

Dan Gosling is about three to four weeks away, but we want Dan to take it easy,  and make absolutely sure that knee of his is OK, because of course there’s no  particular rush for Dan  this season.

So things are certainly looking up, with a lot of our better players  coming back, and will soon be ready to play for the first team.

That’s just one reason why a win would be great tonight,  because we then have 11 days until our next game, and we’ll be quite well positioned in the league with 35 points, if we can capture all 3 points at St. Andrews.

Things may just be looking up for Newcastle.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome, but please respect the views of other readers.

• scottsellars...unsunghero

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

be great to get some of the squad back with fully fit squad for last 8-9 games i can see us finishing top 8

starting tonight with a 0-1 win !

come on lads !!!!

• Indian Magpie

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

2- 0 to newcastle i say, fairy comfortable.

• Charlietoon

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM

5 nil to us

• connor_nufc

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Thats be realistic lads birmingham have an amazing home record a draw.wud.be gd anything more will be a bonus

• aaronjd

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Could go two ways next season, the first being tiote and enrique stay, the 35 million gets well invested, we’ll have ben arfa back and our other injuries and I think we’ll be a real force to be reckond with. Or, the first 2 leave, the 35 million isn’t invested properly, morale in the dressing room drops, and we end up getting relegated. I don’t think it’ll be anything like this season, where we hover about mid table.

• AlwaysTOON

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM

——– Harper————
    Simps–collo—willo—José
    Barton– nolan–tiote– Jonas
    ——-kuqi—Ranger——
    Bench: Krul, Perch, Guntrie, Best, Loven, ‘Vucdic’ Edmundsson

4-1to NUFC.. Ranger(2) Kuqi(1)Nolan (1)

• Klatoon

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:00 AM

maybe Souness ws right afterall,wasn’t it niggly hamstrings tht troubled Emre until he left? Great player,that goal against Reading and the freekick agst the unwashed still run through my head.

• andre29

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Birmingham City vs. Newcastle United veetle and flash stream on http://stjamesstream.blogspot.com/

• Pwnanza

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM

will be very hard to score tonight.. Birmingham are great defensively in my opinion. but thankfully, they dont score many either. maybe push for a win if we play.

GK: Harps
    RB:Simmo
    CB:Willo
    CB:Collo
    LB: Bull
    RM:Barton
    CM:Nolan
    CM:Tiote
    LM:Gutierrez
    RS:Best
    LS:Ranger

And let Nolan drop in behind the strikers.

I know it is a bit iffy giving Ranger the go ahead, but it could do a lot for his confidence and who knows, he could score tonight, he has been getting closer and closer to doing so every match ( with the exception of arsenil when he managed to hit it with his heel?)

Used Subs:
    Lovenkrands for Ranger 60-70 mins.
    Kuqi for Best 65-75 mins.

and if the game is going against us
    Ferguson for Tiote 80 mins and move Barton into center with Gutierrez switching to the right for Ferguson to go on the left.

Simply to stop Tiote getting another yellow if he has not already and to experiment a little, also giving our young’ins some game time.

Realistically, should be a tight 1-1 draw, but with it being the Toon, i am going for a hopefull 2-1 win to us!

• BeeGuy

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:52 PM

At NUFC as one becomes fit, two enter the injury pool. Better to hang your hat on the iron men that have weathered the kicks and knocks of the season to date.

When you think about it, except for Shola & HBA, each one injured will come back as “on the job training” or hopeful career re-igniters. Not a roster to inspire Enrique or Tiote to want to stick around.