Emotional Kevin Nolan – I’m So Proud Of Newcastle United

Kevin Nolan joined Newcastle just over two years ago for £4M from Bolton Wanderers, and like many players who make the move in January, he found it tough in his first few months at the club.

Kevin Nolan – Newcastle United is perfect club for him

Of course it didn’t help that Newcastle were relegated that season, and you could even have expected Kevin to have said he had made a big mistake and seek a move elsewhere.

But not  this lad, because he’s made of much sterner stuff,  and along with some other senior players like Steve Harper, Alan Smith, Nicky Butt  and Joey Barton, they all banded together to get Newcastle back where they have always belonged – in England’s top division.

And along with rookie manager Chris Hughton, they were terrifically successful, and the last 20 months or so,  have seen the famous Newcastle United club on the rise, and although Chris has now left after doing one fantastic job for the club, a sensible Alan Pardew has come in and picked up the reins without a hitch.

Kevin Nolan is now the captain of Newcastle United, and who knows, in the future he could well become the manager of this famous club.

That’s because it’s very clear from his interview in the Newcastle Journal this morning, that he’s completely fallen  in love with the club and the football daft City of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

This is what Kevin said today:

“This was the perfect club for me.” “I had an eagerness and a desire to bond with everyone, particularly knowing what the fans are like and what they want from a Newcastle United player.”“It’s what I want. I love that passion, it suits me down to the ground.”

“I love everything about the football club and the city.”   “It’s brilliant every time I drive into the center and see the stadium perched on top of the hill, where I play, it is so special.”

“It makes me so proud to walk around the city and you see black and white everywhere. I grew up with the Entertainers side of Kevin Keegan, ever since I came here I’ve been desperate for things to work out.”

“I’ve wanted to give the fans here something that, when I do eventually leave, they don’t say he was a crap player, he was useless, he didn’t do anything, we’re glad to see the back of him.”

“I want people to look back on my time here and say we had some good times. I believe we have and I believe that is going to continue.”  “I think the fans are starting to see what I’m about. I think people are starting to understand what this group of players is about.

“You can see the football stadium from virtually anywhere in the city. It is symbolic of what football means to this city and I honestly don’t believe there is anywhere better to play your football.”

“That’s how I see it anyway. It’s more than just 50,000 people on a match day, it’s the whole city being proud of its football club and I’m so happy they have a squad of players they can get behind again.”

“People were saying we were going to do a Leeds, we’d taken them down and we had to get them back. That’s how I felt anyway. I proved myself in the Championship and, hopefully, I’m proving I can do it for Newcastle in the Premier League.”

“I’m not one to shirk a responsibility, I don’t go hiding if I’m having a bad game, and I didn’t go hiding that summer.” “We were left with a good group of lads, that wasn’t down to me. I just felt we had something to prove to the whole nation.”

“It was us against the world at that time and the main thing we wanted to do was get our supporters back on side. Once we’d got that, everything else fell into place.” “That mentality has helped us get through everything that has happened this season as well. We’ve had more than our fair share of ups and downs.”

“The players stick together, that cannot be broken, whatever is thrown at us, we have to react in a positive way. I was sick of all the Loony Tunes are off again, the Newcastle soap opera goes on. I wanted this to be a proper football club and it is.

“If we do the things we’re good at, stick together, do what the manager asks on the pitch, they can’t criticize us for that.

“We are at the point that no matter what is thrown at us, we deal with it. You do feel someone is constantly trying to chop your legs from underneath you sometimes, but that is what a board and a manager has to do, make tough decisions. As players, we focus on our job, we don’t sulk, we get on with it.”

It’s fitting with the current situation that Newcastle find themselves in, that we have a man like this leading the club, and as we’ve said before,  he could well become on of the great captains of the club.

And if the owner can invest wisely in the summer, Newcastle could well be challenging for a  top six position in the Premier League next season, such has been the phenomenal rise back from the ashes for Newcastle United, since those terrible dark days in the summer of 2009.

Howay The Lads!!

Note – We are running a poll on our home page about whether you think Mike Ashley will use the £35M in the summer, to strengthen the Newcastle squad – please vote.

• Tom4Nufc

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Best Captain in years! HWTL

• Overseas Newcastle - Cheik out Tiotes back pocket

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM

has anybody seen this yet?

He states we are not performing well. (wtf..)
    He is flattered by the interest of Villa. (the same villa we treashed 6-0 and behind us in the league?)
    “Our goal at the start of the season was to qualify for the Europa League” was it ****??

• ToonZiga

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM

captain kevin nolan, he is great captain and great leader. He’s one of my favorite players this season. HWTL

• BW4EVER

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Our best captain in years ?! Your having a laugh arent ya. The lad IS the best Captain we have had in decades ! I put him alongside Alan Shearer.

He has calmness personified on the pitch. We dont need his pace, he has presence. The players all player around him. Tiote is his legs. Thats not to say Kevin has no pace, he has. He is a great great captain for the club. He MUST stay for his career. We kept Nicky Butt till his twilight years and tosh like Geremi. Nolan MUST be kept, he MUST have a testimonial.

You know with him on board as captain, you have a chance.

• amaze

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

maybe his words did not come out as intended. but at least he stated his intentions up front, and if no investment was made with the 35 mil quid, many of our players would also quit. i.e. barton

• skutball1892

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Would have been Sir Bobby’s 78th birthday today 🙁 hope he’s watching this comeback from up there somewhere.

• dave 1961

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:10 AM

it’s now time to blood his replacement.

• ArtyH

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Is Kevin a Geordie? I would have expected a speach like that from one of our local lads, it is fantastic to hear it from him. It seems like a symbiotic relationship to me if ever there was one. Captain Fantastic, a player to be proud of, and what he has said is a great sideways swipe at all the J.E shit that is being published.

• bigdunc

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I think Kevin Nolan was the best thing to have happened to this club in a long time. How often do you see a player that is as passionate about the club as the fans, particularly given he is not even from the area. To be honest, I think he is exactly what England need too, someone to show some pride in their country and the shirt. His reference to St James’ as the fulcrum of the city fills you with pride that he feels that way.

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

“As players, we focus on our job, we don’t sulk, we get on with it.” – Funny Nolan said that just when Jose Enrique has come out whining saying he wants Champions League footie!

Nolan is essential to our success. The guy has a brilliant attitude and always reacts the right way and says the right things. I hope he does become our manager some day. Alan Pardew has to give Kevin Nolan a rest sometimes as he puts so much effort in each game and his stamina is not as high as some of his team mates. Against Birmingham you could see he was tired. Every time he’s rested for one match he plays better the next match and usually scores for us.

A great player and a great signing by Big Sam. Another great signing by Big Sam was Jose Enrique – I hope we qualify for Europe and he stays.

• rc.souvik