Joey Barton To Sign New Contract At Newcastle

News today in the Newcastle Journal,  that Joey Barton will be signing his new contract to stay at Newcastle for at least the next five years.

Joey Barton – to sign new contract within a week

And with the disturbing quotes today from Jose Enrique, which seem to be paving the way for him to leave Newcastle in the summer, that’s a bit of good news for the Newcastle fans.

Maybe Joey committing his future to the Newcastle club, will build some momentum and persuade some of our other key players to stay.

With the excellent 2-0 victory on Tuesday night at Birmingham,  Newcastle are now 8 points clear of the drop zone, and that’s really 9 points when you consider our good goal difference of +4.

And with 11 games to go in the seaosn,  if Newcastle can mount a good finish, we could even climb quite high in the league.

Joey Barton has said the Newcastle players were never really looking over their shoulders this season:

“We were never really looking at what was happening below us. I can understand why others might have been because the league is so tight. We have always believed we have had a bit more in the dressing room than that.

“We have had a couple of knocks, but the spirit in the camp is so strong that we have put that behind us. We went to Blackburn, which is a tough place to go, and controlled the game. On another day we would have won that comfortably.”

“We have done that again at Birmingham. They had only lost twice at home and I think their manager would be the first to admit we have dominated the game. It’s as comfortable as I have ever been in winning a game there. We are looking up the table, but we always were.”

Each of the remaining 11 league games of the season are now taking on increased significance if we are to keep our top players like Jose Enrique and Cheick Tiote at the club.

And we’ll take each game as it comes, and now the only thing that matters is to beat Bolton at St. James’ Park a week tomorrow, and we have to hope we will have a sellout crowd there to cheer on the lads.

There would be nothing better for the lads than to have a storming finish to the season, and that could even be possible with players like Ben Arfa, Steven Taylor, Stephen Ireland, Dan Gosling and the like returning from injury.

We have to hope that is the case, because  it would be absolutely soul destroying if we lose Enrique and Tiote this summer.

• Magforlife

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Come on Joey start the ball rolling. Give us some positive team news !

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Joey cheik and nlan the heart of our team

• RememberShearer

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Joey…to sign
    Enrique…to sign
    Tiote…to sign
    that is a must even if Ashley dogs us again with no cash to splash like he always does…WE MUST GET THESE THREE SIGNED F
    OR 5 YR DEALS!!!

• shear-class

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I beleive Enrique’s quotes have been twisted i have got no doubt he will sign a new deal once we are assured of premier league safety you cant blame him for wanting to ensure premier league football if he wants champions league football then he will not be moving to Liverpool

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Enrique will not sign a new contract – he is as good as gone, and Pardew knows it. Enrique himself tells you, that this club is not being run well, and the departures of Hughton and Carroll have made his mind up for him. His transfer to Liverpool is already being thrashed out now. I am also told this morning, that the club will send Ireland back to Villa if he doesn’t resume full training by the end of next week. He has only just started running. Remember he failed his medical, but knowing that Carroll was going on the last day of the window, the club thought they’d better give the fans something, and persuaded Villa to pay a bigger percentage of his wages. The bloke is a tosser anyway, with a lousy attitude, and that’s the reason he was kicked out of Man City, and now Houllier wants rid.

• nimo

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Liverpool have a great chance of champ league next year if they can keep hold of pep reina n sign abut more quality so for everyone saying we’ve as much chance that’s just silly, but as for villa that just proves Enrique is toutin for a move as there a team on decline, really riles me as he was shite the year we went down, him n collini both. However we turned them into class premiership defenders n now he wants to go

• super bartooon

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Come on Joey B sign on the dotted line mate and while you at it give a whole hearted evertonian punch to Joes Enrique f****n spanish mercenary

• adi-bizzle

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

jimmymagpie @5 – how can you say he got kicked out of man city? unless you know the bloke, you wont know why he left. and lets face it, he was put in as part of the milner deal (which in the news, he didnt ask for) but he didnt see a future at man city while they were spending 20 million on each player to play in his position. and at villa he was playing in a team that wasnt doing well and didnt get picked often. people who slag off players annoy me because unless you know them personally, you dont know anything about them. He is a newcastle player till the end of the season and I for one will support him until he is gone. I am what you would call a real newcastle fan because even with all the rubbish we get, i will still stand by the players and the club as they are my club. Good luck steven and all the boys. Do us proper fans proud

• mattyNUFC

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

I can’t be bothered by this. Jose, you’re my favorite player but we can’t make you love this club. Do as you will and we’ll both march on.

As for the team, let’s take 4-6 points off the next two home games and start talking Europe, not survival and clear-out.

HTL

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Adi- bizzle, I was a fully qualified state registered sports physio for 35 years, and know what I am talking about when it comes to knee ligament injuries. Read what Ireland himself says on the official club site, and read it CAREFULLY!

• ArtyH

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

As long as the team are doing well I dont really care to much about the personalities, I support NUFC and obviously have my favoutite players, but all are dispensable/replacable.
    HWTL

• adi-bizzle

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM

jimmy, i have read the site and i understand because i have had injuries before. i am not doubting your abilities to understand injuries but that wasnt what i was saying on here. I was saying that you cant slag him off cuz you dont know him. He could be one of the most hard working players that they toon have ever had when he is back training and playing but you’re going on what other people have said about him and lets face it, everyone has their enemies in the game. barton was meant to have a bad attitude but we stood by him and look how he is now all because toon fans supported him when he needed it

• ToonZiga

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

C’mon Joey just signed it already. You and captain are the engines for us. HWTL

• alienhunter

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I think a few people on this blog have a huge mental problem moving on.

They can only deal with negativity and worst-case scenario thinking when it comes to the toon. Its so ingrained in them that its the only thing they know and understand. Its worse when they start lying about backgrounds and who they know etc. to try and back up their points because they are being left behind in the minority.

Maybe they are protecting themselves, or they are have had a tough time in life and are always pessimists.

Don’t read bad into everything, in the same way you shouldn’t read good into everything. Its really not as bad as you imagine it Jimmy, take a breath son… smile. Chill a bit. We could still make Europe …

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Alien Hunter – don’t accuse me of lying about my professional qualifications, as you could find yourself in a heap of trouble, and if I get my nephew’s permission, I will tell you later which present and past NUFC players he represents both as their agent and solicitor. Also, pray tell what info that I have posted on these sies regarding Carroll, Gosling etsc.,has proved to be incorrect, or as you say, lies. The only liars are those in charge at this football club, which they were forced to admit at Keegans’ tribunal.

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Just phoned my nephew, and he would rather I didn’t divulge the present NUFC players he represents, but told me I could divulge that he still represents Habib Beye amongst other former NUFS players.

• Tal_nufc4eva

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM

enrique doesnt realise what he’s saying! he’s putting the negativity back in the club.

• parag

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:55 PM

“…..will be” what the hell does that mean?

you know what? I don;t care who stays and who goes. the 4-4 with Arsenal really changed the way I support my team.

my support is for NUFC. the manager and 11 on the pitch. whether that’s in the premier, champions league or championship or worse.

if it was otherwise i’d support Man.U.

• solano

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM

Ireland was a much better player when he was wearing his wig 2/3 years ago…..bring back the syrup!