Jose Enrique – Newcastle Is Not Working Well

We were very surprised to read the latest quotes attributed to Newcastle left-back  Jose Enrique in the Daily Mirror today, , and if they are true, he’ll be leaving Newcastle in the summer.

Jose Enrique – not particularly good words about Newcastle

Jose is ambitious we know that, but in his latest quotes he comes out and seems to criticize the Newcastle United club, and that’s not good.

This is what Jose said, which has variations and additions on what he is quoted as saying yesterday:

“It is flattering that Liverpool are interested,” “I’ve also heard that Manchester United and Aston Villa have asked about me.

“I’m happy at Newcastle, but I’m not closing the door to anything. I love the fans here at Newcastle. I have suffered with the team, with the relegation two years ago and I have to be realistic.”

“Newcastle is not working well, it has made promises it has not been able to keep and I am ambitious. I want to play in the Champions League, major competitions and to go to the Spanish team.”

“I have the dream of the senior national team debut. I work to get the chance someday. I want to be prepared to do well in the red shirt.”   “I’ve always said I’m fine at the club. But, like any player, I want to win titles.” “I want to say to my children in the future I’ve played in the Champions League or for Spain.”

“The club has promised that all the Carroll money will go towards new players. I hope that is so,” “Andy Carroll was a great striker for Newcastle. He was a key player,”

“But he is not the only player who has left and now we are short-staffed.” “There are a lot of colleagues who only made their Premier League debuts this year and we have no replacement players for some positions. If we suffer injuries to major players we’ll have problems.”

Those are not promising words for Newcastle fans – assuming he actually made those comments – and it could well be that he has been misquoted.

But if we are to believe what he says, there seems no way he will be signing a new contract at Newcastle, which also means th Tyneside club will have to take a reduced price for him, since he will have just 12 months left on his contract come the summer.

The other news on Jose today, is that Newcastle are reported to be willing to let the left-back leave Newcastle for £12M, which is said to be the price quoted to AC Milan, who seem not to have been put off by that transfer fee.

Alan Pardew is said to have been OK with that, just as long as the transfer money is reinvested into the squad in the summer.

• Stuart

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Wey, if thats true he’s off in the summer. No point people whinging about us being a selling club. If these quotes are true he obviously doesnt want to be here anymore and wont sign a new contract so best to sell him quickly.

Saying that, I hope to god its all bullshit and we get him signed up for another 5 years.

In order to do that, MA needs to show the players that we actually have some ambition, that will mean significant investment in the summer. 4-5 quality players could go some way to convincing him.

• alex84

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Fair enough, as long as we look for a replacement now!

only want players who want to be here!

• Gilesy

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM

I think in order to keep our best players onside and stop them from putting in transfer requests/getting their heads turned we need to get in quick with some quality signings, as soon as the summer window opens, that way our ambition will be clearly stated to our current playing staff. It will also show the tag-alongs that there is no place for you anymore and if you want to continue playing it’s time to consider stepping up your efforts or move on…

• Drona

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I’m sick and tired of such rumours. The papers like TheSun and Dailymail(banned from SJP) are known for unsettling players. They are paid by the big clubs to do this. This is false journalism. And they are known for misquoting players. The fact is that Enrique hasn’t been involved in a press conference recently. Pardew has stated he has increased the staff and Enrique is only contradicting this. The fact is that he won’t be leaving. If he had to leave he would have already done so.

• andoni

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I just read all the interview which the spanish newspaper “MARCA” has made him. In my opinion, what Ed has mentioned up there, they are confusing words, because he looks happy here, but it seems that he want to go out of the club.
    If it is true, I only wish he will sign a new contract.

• NorseMag

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Well, he’s not bigger than the team and all that. Hope for a good price, and some magic fram graham carr. He’s got plenty of work to do anyway.

• JohnnyBrookes

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I think what we really need to do is state our intentions now, make some enquiries regarding players for the summer, show the players we have some ambition.

Sadly, with FA in charge there really isn’t much hope and tbh, I think the Carroll saga has really done more damage than good. The money is fine but had this been done in the summer, we could have signaled our intentions by buying in a big name to replace him.

We can;t attract the quality of player needed to replace Carroll. Whatever you think of him, he scored goals, and was a massive threat.

Look at it this way. We had him for HALF A SEASON. Ridiculous.

• supermacnumber9

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

That’s his right – if he can do better else where I wish him well cos he’s been a good employee – but I would like to know more about why “Newcastle is not working well,” and what “promises it has not been able to keep”
    HWTL

• nimo

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Love your optimism drona but I believe he made the comments to a Spanish paper and that the English media are just taking the quotes from there, I hope to god it’s a misinterpretation and he stays but if he wants out , take ya bags mr.Enrique n I’ll drive u to the airport we don’t need people using us as a stepping stone

• Davies

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM

It’s a shame, but I suppose he’s right, if the quotes are genuine. Would you want to spend your career in a team that aren’t even also rans at the moment?

If the boy has ambition, based on the clubs activities in the time he’s been here it probably looks a bit bleak. I suppose this will be the acid test of Pardew’s man management skills.

I think we could be looking at European football in the next two years and Pardew needs to convince Enrique that we need him to achieve that.

I’d say there are two types of ambitious footballers; those who want to fight for a spot in Europe, and those who want to transfer into a team that’s already done all the work.

Funnily enough, we have as much of a chance of playing in Europe next season as Liverpool do, and a lot more chance than Villa. If Jose goes, it should be to either Man U, or one of the large number of European clubs that are after him, otherwise saying that he wants to move because he is ambitious is a little hollow.

• nimo

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM

And I wish people would stop blaming the board in my opinion the club is in the best shape it’s been since wor Bobby was in charge

• murvar

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:28 AM

You can’t blame the papers, Drona – the reason they get banned is that’s the only way the club can quieten them from printing the truth. I’m sure they do occasionally embellish stuff but there is always a kernel of reality, even if it gets picked up and blown out of proportion. The real culprits are the wannabees around the club who go to the press and make out that they have the inside track because they are so important – whereas they are nobodies.

• fungus44

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Newcastle’s 28-year-old midfielder Joey Barton could leave the club if five top players are not brought in this summer.
    Full story: Metro

• Davies

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM

(8) supermacnumber9 –

Might have something to do with what Barton said recently. Selling the best players makes the club look like a continual work in progress. The club is going to need to splash big in the summer to appease the playing staff, let alone the fans.

Maybe that’s what Jose is getting at?

• ToonZiga

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM

If he doesn’t want to be here, than he should go somewhere else. I’ll drive him to airport to 😀

• murvar

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

And let’s not forget that we are also beneficiaries of this sordid process – Ipswich fans will be as concerned about us unsettling Wickham as we are about Jose. Even some Portuguese kid has gone to school with tears in his eyes this morning as we are reported to be chatting up his hero for a move to SJP. If I had his mobile number I’d ring to tell him that he needn’t worry – we don’t sign players in their 30’s. Oh – wait a minute……. ………..

• lesh

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Well, that’s one side of the story and needlss to say, it’s spashed all over a page of an organ that’s universally respected for its objectivity, impartiality, attention to detail and accuracy of reporting – yup, you’ve got it, the Sun!

Flipping the coin and we look at its stable-mate – The Times and George Caulkin, who is renowned for his intelligence, is reporting that Pardew’s planning his targets for the summer and will be more than adequately funded – given the club moving closer towards Ashley’s goal of self-sufficiency

Pards is also reported to have recruited a couple of tchnical specialists who’ll prepare dossiers on other teams, reporting pre and post matches thus enabling a thoorough briefing for the coaching staff.

And, he’s talking about having undersoil heating installed at the traing ground to boot!

Now then, looking at both reprts, both sides of teh coin as it were, one shows a club that’s going nowhere and th other, one that’s getting its act together – on and off the field!

Of course, past experience may take one to incline towards the Sun, but then again, George Caulkin’s reports are usually respected.

Any thoughts which side of the coin’s gonna show face up?

• RedMissionBells

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Enrique’s recent comments remind me of a certain Charles N’Zogbia prior to his departure. These are just tactics that players/agents use to attract big name clubs. Enrique knows he is one of the top left backs in the league at the moment and has decided to capitalise on it to secure a big transfer.

If you noticed, Joey Barton said recently that Newcastle United needs to invest in big names form the $30mil. Clearly, Enrique must have spoken of his concerns to Barton for Barton to make such comments.

This is very sad news as we are trying to build a team that is capable of playing in Europe . Each time we build a decent squad, our players want to move on.

Also, if you realised, it is much hard to get into the Europa league, let alone the Champions league these days. It is no longer a big four league. At the moment, Chelsea, Man utd, Man city, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham competing fiercely at the top of the table. Seems like the big four has expanded to become a big 6.

I would like to think Newcastle is a good mid table team that can compete with the big teams if we make some quality signings. But only if we retain our best players, such as Enrique and Tiote.

Like I always say, “Supporting Newcastle United prepares you for life situations. Nothing is certain.”

• murvar

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I’d like to think all this is a conspiracy by the players, throwing down the gauntlet to the FCB. “We’re off unless you show you mean trophy-winning business”. If Jose wants to unsettle Ashley that’s fine by me. But once the Gambler sees £15m dangled in front of his eyes, we all know what he will do.

• Sinner

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM

These rumors are giving me a serious headache? 🙁
    He is one of the best player in the team,but he is not one man team.If a player dont want to be here,better sell him.We got great young players coming through who in anytime can fill in his boot.
    Beside with the ”so-called 35m”,we can easily find a replacement!!
    What makes even more sad,is the fact he was not so long ago pledging his loyalty to the club.

“I don’t care about Sunderland. Even if the newspapers said Chelsea I wouldn’t care. I worry for my team – I love the city, I love the club and I don’t care about signing for another team.”
    -Jose Enrique
    Now,since he is been getting rave reviews on his performance,his ego has gone to the size of the earth!
    How much have we fallen to his eye that he would choose Aston Villa over us!

• Stuart

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I would love it if that was the case murvar. It would be a risky but awesome move from the playing squad to basically hold the owner to ransom. Say basically ‘We want to be here, but we want this club to be successful. If you invest we’ll definately stay, if not we’re off’.

Some people on here might think thats an awful idea, but hey, we all know MA doesnt listen to us. He might listen to the playing staff.

• mick70

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

the thing he needs to remember he was part of the team that got took us down, yes he’s had 2 cracking seasons with us since but he knew europe would be years off if ever so whats changed? I think Pardew is a much harder task manager and some of the players don’t like it. Nolan is the example he should look up to.

• BournemouthGeordie

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Don’t Believe everything you read in the newspapers. You heard it here 1st 😛

• Magforlife

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM

The press never fail to put the boot into us !
    We must be the most wrote about club in Britain
    sadly always for the wrong reasons.
    If he wants to leave so be it, my worry he is only one of many that might leave with this current wage cap.
    I know they earn obscene amounts compared to us, but that’s what the going rate is for top PL players. Heads we always be turned when double the money offers are done underhand by agents.

• ToonLegend

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Is Enrique a great player ? yes one of our best along with Barton…….
    but if he doesnt wanna be here then Ashley needs to getthe best deal possible for him as soon as the window opens and look to replace him with vanAanholt or sakho
    i’m still hoping what i heard yesterday is not true and a deal for Julio Arca to sign on a free isnt already done

• Aaaser

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Damn.. These ain’t good news.. In the Post before this, Nolan Said he was Proud of the players, so i’ll guess he haven’t sad it Privat first, but immediately to the Media.. Damn. El Toro is Lost!

• Rotonda heights

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It’s a shame if it happens, sell for 12 -15m , buy Taiwo for 4m. sorted.

Can’t let individuals rock the boat no matter how good they are. We are being run properly now and aren’t a soft touch either buying or selling or paying daft wages any more.

Barton may talk the talk but he’s not the one picking up the tab for wages is he. One man and one man alone is to blame for almost single handedly financially crucifying the club and it’s one of our own- Shepherd

• skutball1892

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Would have been Sir Bobby’s 78th birthday today. RIP Heaven’s Manager

• Sinner

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:48 AM

“Nolan is the example he should look up to.”

Dont make me laugh! 😯
    He was one of the main reasons why Andy left for Liverpool! 🙁

• elpaso_geordie

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

We arent gonna spend big man , the players know it thats why they coming out with these comments now.
    The Hughton affair has obviously left a bad taste in the mouths for alot of players and they are frankly sick of the lies that the hierarchy tell time and again and you have muppets on here making there summer player wishlists – your unbelievably thick – not going to happens guys !!!!
    No shock that Ashley promises to spend the 35 million as season ticket renewals come out in FEBRUARY , howay boys think about it, we renew and he has the money already therefore if he chooses not to spend then he gets a few more insults thrown at him and if we dont renew yet then come the summer it will be well fans havent bought season tickets , we cant splash out the cash if the stadium half empty.
    Its all a Fat Cockney Con !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

• Sinner

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Rotonda heights
    “Taiwo for 4m”
    He is a free agent coming the summer,mate!
    Beside,teams like Real Madrid,Manchester United,Barcelone and Arsenal are interested in his signature!!
    Cant think we can compete with them.
    🙁

• Geordie-Gerrard7

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Ed you should post an article about a certain sir Robert robson whose birthday is today. Gone but never forgotten. Rest in peice.

• ToonLegend

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Happy Birthday wor Bobby R.I.P forever missed

• Aaaser

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Sinner: Me Neither, I’ll guess he wants Cl and it wont help his International Career if he join us (If it aint a short-term contract), and Because Ashley dont spend, well get ChampionShit Next Year.

• nden85

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM

doesn’t really matter who we sign, we’re not going to qualify for the champions league any time in jose’s career. i mean look at all the coin man city have spent and its taken them 3 years.

• Stuart

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM

elpaso_geordie,

We’re all supposed to be newcastle fans on here, yet you’re coming on and calling the vast majority ‘unbelievably thick’.

Do me a favour, I appreciate your view, I dont agree with it though, so theres no need to slag off everyone who doesnt agree with you.

• colwell

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Jose in all fairness deserves to play in the champions league and for Spain. Is he going to get either playing for us? He has stuck with us through thick and thin, since he joined we`ve had around 1million managers give or take lol. Newcastle is a nightmare with MA in charge I don`t blame him for wanting to go, he should be playing for Barca or Real I`d prefer if he went there aswell.

• ArtyH

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM

As post 20, yes you got it right M8.
    IMHO I do not want players at the club who want to be playing somewhere else, he will never get the adulation he has enjoyed at the toon at another club! Its money again I think cos the bin divers are now owned by a money bags paymaster they can plunder the less adventurous clubs. We are in the middle of a change from almost going out of business to becoming self sufficient, IMHO M.A has made big mistakes on all sides but looks to be getting it right now, even though it has been painfull along the way. I do not trust him at all but am pleased with the rebuilding that has gone on this year. I’m sure there will be twists and turns to come along with abject disapointment, but thats the toon for ya.

• bawtat

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Why does everyone beleve what the paper say its is a load of bull, they have to print something and bad news at newcastle united sells papers. Yes we sold AC but we made £35 million and in the end he was the one who signed the contract at liverpool, how does that makes us a selling club? We have just come up from the championship and have finaly ballanced the books, so this summer will be the big indicator to the true intentions of Mr Mike Ashley, if he fails to deliver then we will know once and for all, over to you Mike

• bawtat

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM

A good read about our ever improving finances if you can be arsed lads