Stephen Ireland And Ben Arfa To Return To Training Next Week

We were hoping that Stephen Ireland may be ready for our next game against Bolton Wanderers a week tomorrow, but that may come a little early for the Aston Villa player, who is on loan through the end of the season.

Stephen Ireland – recovery ahead of schedule?

24 year-old Stephen told the Newcastle web site this morning:

“We thought it would be a couple of weeks,” “But I went running outside on Thursday at a decent level and decent pace, and I reckon it could be by the end of next week hopefully.”

“I’ve just got to do a few more sessions and then see how far I can push it. If it goes well then I could be back soon.”

“I haven’t got any specific game in mind. I’ve just got to take a day at a time really, because one day it could feel amazing and then the next day really bad.”

“It’s quite strange, but I have to see how I feel on a day-to-day basis.” “After two weeks at a club you want to be getting involved in the playing and training, but I’m not far away,”

“I didn’t come here just to get treatment – I came here to play. Thankfully things are getting right now and I’m almost there.”

It’s a good time for Stephen to return because Newcastle essentially  have a game every weekend through the end of the seaosn, and so it looks like Stephen will miss just one more game before being fully fit again.

And Ben Arfa is due on Tyneside this coming Monday,  to continue his rehabilitation from the double fracture of his left leg, and he should be ready in say another three weeks to play for the first team.

As we reported earlier this week Ben Arfa is  in Tunisia visiting his grandparents on compassionate leave, in that troubled North African country, and will travel directly to Newcastle early next week, and may mis only another three games, at the most, for Newcastle.

If he does miss the next three games, he should be fit for the game on April 2nd, at home to Wolves, and Ben Arfa with any luck at all, will be all ready to go in that game. A must win game of course, hopefully that will see us much higher up in that league table.

So that’s good news on two fronts for Newcastle.

• skutball1892

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Great news, we’ll be needing them towards the end of the season

• super bartooon

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Shitting bricks of excitement having them two on the pitch for newcastle

• adi-bizzle

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

i cant wait to see these 2 on the pitch for newcastle. ireland is a quality player when confident and i think the players around him will bring out the best in him and as we all know, ben arfa is fantastic too so will be excited to see them in the team. both are real threats attacking as well so roll on when they are fit to play again

• coolcatcarter89

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I’m usually one of the few optimists on here. In this case though, I think that’ll be the enduring snap of Irelands’ Toon career.

• gorskino10

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

He wont play at Wolves even if fit they will target them Carl Henry like he did @ Barton last time nearly braking his legs.

• Overseas Newcastle - Cheik out Tiotes back pocket

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:52 PM

a thnk thsese too plyars wll be imeanse fr us lyke, bt hy wat do i knooo lyke eh? 🙁

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Ed – for heaven’s sake neither player is close. Ireland tells you on the official site that one day his knee is ok, but the next it is bad. He only HOPES to back in full training at the end of next week. Ben Arfa won’t be ready for the first team until the middle of April, even if all goes well. He has to resume full training first, then get used to contact again, and then play at least a couple of reserve games.

• adi-bizzle

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:05 PM

jimmymagpie, for someone who claims to be a newcastle fan, you slag everything off to do with newcastle. this site is made to give us news. no one knows when they will be back because anything could happen. just chill out. support the team instead of slagging everything off

• Burni

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM

adi, hes not exactly slaggin them off (in this article:-)) hes just sayin exactly how it is.

I would prefer if HBA was out til next season and that Irelsand was never signed, I just think that by the time he becomes fit his loans gonna be over….

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Thanks Burni, I’m pleased that you realise that I’m only trying to be realistic. By the way have supported this team since 1951, through the glory days and through the thin and thinner days thereafter, home and away, and yes I was one of the 8,000 against Wrexham in the 1970s. Renewed my season ticket yesterday, even though I have great difficulty walking these days, so Adi, you can call me lots of things, but I’ve done the hard yards, so never doubt my credentials as a supporter.

• adi-bizzle

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:37 PM

jimmy and burni, i understand what you are both saying and fully respect that. what i am trying to say is that every single article i have read, it has just been negative comments. what the team needs right now is us supporters to get behind the team and show the fat controller that no matter what he does to our club, he will never ever get the better of us

• sweendog

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:40 PM

jimmymagpie .. think your comments are about right ..
    as for ireland .. I can see him getting shipped back .. his attitude is a nightmare ..
    I’ve never forgotten how he treated the Ireland team ..
    Anyway theres better midfielders at our club .. prefer Nolan as he is one of our leaders on the pitch ..
    onwards and upwards for the mighty black n white army.. 🙂

• jimmymagpie

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Adi, I agree with you mate about supprting the club, because at the end of the day we all want the same thing. I was just trying to temper certain expectations, based on my own experience, and always keep in mind, this was the club that admitted at Keegans’ tribunal that they lie to their fans and the media for ‘PR’ purposes.

• The Entertainers

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM

These two players add creativity and goals can’t wait ! We have a very decent squad, with additions in the summer why not dream of Europe!

• digereedo

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:30 PM

We only have 3 games in the next 6 weeks, only two in whole of March. So not ‘game every week’.

• john_cena163

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Cant wait for king arfa

• dunzer1990

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Jimmymagpie every club at some point will lie to their fans for PR purposes, the fans will never ever know the complete ins and outs of the running of the club because that’s madness. Some of the wheelin and dealin that goes on in football you can hardly exepct to know everything. That said perhaps our board has done it more often than not and we shouldn’t stand for it. But at the minute things are looking better, MA has the club in a better position financially and the club looks to be going forward for the first time since Bobby was in charge so pray heavens for small mercies eh? 😀 oh and btw cannae wait to see these two don the black and white HWTL!!!

• Tal_nufc4eva

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM

did anyone else know this that if the crling cup and fa cup is won by any team who finish in the top 4 it will free up 2 more spaces in the champions league so atleast we need to finish 9th. i see this as very much doable, we wont win everygame but we should try not to loose any. i can only see us realisticly loose another 4 games which include teams like liverpool, chelsea, man u n villa still to play . . . haway the lads!!!!!!!!!!!1

• NorthernTiger74

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Jimmymag,

You must have seen some owners in your time. Is Ashley the worst owner we’ve had? I’ve only been alive in the days of Shepherd and Hall.

Just wondered if you were conflicted about renewing your season ticket?

Ta.

• BWFFBW

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I really hope he performs well on his return and if so we sign him over the summer. No doubt he is quality, I believe Villa didn’t have enough quality around him for his true colors to show out and be challenged.

Regardless, I am more interested about HBA then anyone right now… I fully believe he can be a game changer!

BlackWhiteForeverForverBlackWhite!

• Robby Bobson

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Told me a year and a half ago we would half HBA and Ireland I would say get real.

Ireland was poor at villa but really has top quality and HBA well oe of the hotest prospects at Europe at one point and rightly so.