Alan Pardew has it exactly right, when he says that if Newcastle keep selling their very best players when will we ever build a top side again?
Jose Enrique – wants to leave Newcastle?
And after losing Andy Carroll in January, if we are to believe the latest comments from Jose Enrique this morning, he looks to be planning to leave Newcastle in the summer.
And then the next player that will be targeted will probably be Cheick Tiote, which seems almost inevitable, with Chelsea already very keen on the Ivory Coast International.
So what can Newcastle do right now, so that they don’t lose these players, who have played together, and know exactly how each other play, and can form the basis of a much improved side next season?
Let’s take the case of Jose Enrique, who seems to be the most urgent case.
- We have to hope that Jose will be included in the next Spanish squad, so that will prove to him that he can achieve his International ambitions at Newcastle, and the great publicity surrounding Jose these last few months is such that that’s a very good possibility.
- Newcastle should enter into negotiations immediately with Jose and his agent, and come up with a long term wage offer to the player, which will be an improvement on what he is getting today. If Jose refuses to start negotiations, then the writing is on the wall.
- Newcastle should pledge right now that in the summer, they will significantly strengthen the squad, and that Alan Pardew will indeed be given the £35M to spend on transfer fees and wages of new players – but that the £35M it will be fully invested into the squad.
Maybe a statement made by MD Derek LLambias could be the way to communicate these intentions.
- And since Jose has said he wants to play European Champions League football, the final 11 league games of the season are starting to be very important for Newcastle.
While it may be difficult to qualify for Europe this season, if Newcastle can finish in the top 8, that would show Newcastle are definitely on the rise, and that Newcastle could be going back to their glory days of the past – and anyway that would be the direction of the club.
- The other thing we can help do is to have fans communicate to Jose Enrique himself, and let the player know that he is needed and wanted at Newcastle United, and he had after all said he wanted to finish his career on Tyneside.
So if you want to send him a message of support and ask Jose to stay on Tyneside, you can do so by communicating to him via this form.
Of course, as with all players, if their heads have been turned, as seemed to happen with Andy Carroll, they may already be half-way out of the door, but with Enrique and Tiote, that is not yet the case – hopefully.
We look to Alan Pardew to get with the owner and Managing Director and corral this exodus of our very best players – otherwise we’ll never have a top team.
If we can keep Joey Barton, who is supposed to be going to sign his new contract within a week, Enrique, Tiote, Nolan, S Taylor, Barton and Ben Arfa, then that’s an excellent core of top players on which to build our new side.