Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has talked today about how he had Jose Enrique come to him yesterday, and the Spanish U21 player was upset about the news being reported that he wanted to leave Newcastle.
Jose Enrique – upset about newspaper reports
Apparently that is not the case, and as Alan Pardew has said before, Jose wants Newcastle to be safe on 40 points, before his will renegotiate his contract on Tyneside:
The reports were single lines he had said, that were ripped out of context, and made to look like Jose wanted out of the famous Newcastle United club – but that seems not to be the case.
This is what Pardew told the Newcastle Journal today:
“Jose was upset about it on Thursday. He was upset with how it had been reported – he made that plain to me.”“I said to him ‘Look, it happens.’”
“It happens to me and I’m experienced with the media over my playing career and my time in management.”
“But the most important thing with the Jose Enrique situation is that it really hasn’t changed. We’re not safe and he doesn’t want to talk to us until we’re safe.”
“That is what we discussed yesterday. We will worry about the next game and I look forward to talking to Jose and his advisors when we’re safe.”
“But our immediate priority is to win the next game – and to get to the 40-point mark.”
So it looks like Newcastle need another 5 points to get to the magical 40 points, and the soonest we can do that is to win our next two games at home against Bolton and Everton, and that’s two weeks today when we play Everton.
But with just one year left on his contract and some big clubs after Jose – Manchester United and Liverpool being only two of them – it may still be hard for Newcastle to offer Jose a decent deal for him to stay.
And we now know it’ s not all over when he signs a new deal, just that his transfer fee will go up, but that wouldn’t stop a club coming in and bidding say £20M or higher for the Spanish star, and have the club accept the bid, or even have Jose force the deal through by requesting a transfer.
That’s the reality unfortunately now at the Newcastle club and in football, and the two Newcastle players in the spotlight in the summer will be Jose and the great Cheick Tiote.
“We haven’t given up on keeping players at the football club – absolutely not,” “We’re going to try and compete to keep Jose but the reality is that it’s going to be difficult.”
“He has one year on his contract by the time the summer comes, and in some ways the ball is in Jose’s court.”
“And he has a lot of control over the situation. I look forward to talking to him once we are safe.”
That statement doesn’t sound too promising to us, but it’s the reality in today’s world, and a lot of this also depends on the player himself, if indeed a big wage offer comes in for him over the summer, even is he signs a new improved contract on Tyneside.
That’s just exactly what happened with big Andy, so there’s the precedent right there.
We just have to hope that Jose is sincere when he says he wants to remain at Newcastle, because he’s already been through some tough and trying times with the club, and come out triumphant – and that’s only one reasons why we love this lad so much.