Fraser Forster Waxes Lyrical About Glasgow Celtic

Just exactly who is the better goalkeeper between Tim Krul and Fraser Forster, to back up Steve Harper at Newcastle,  is a good question.

Fraser Forster sent off against Rangers in the Scottish FA Cup two weeks ago

Tim has been the back up for the last couple of seasons, since Shay Given left the club just over two years ago, but Alan Pardew made it clear to everybody recently,  that he sees Fraser Forster staying at the Tyneside club.

Of the two young goalkeepers at Newcastle, it will be interesting to see which one of them goes out on loan next season, and it may be time soon for Alan Pardew to select which one of the two, he sees as the back-up to Steve,

Steve turns 36 next month, but we still see this man in the Newcastle goal for at least the next two seasons, after this one, so we don’t know if Alan will try to keep both young goalkeepers at the club, and have them fight it out for number one, once Steve hangs up his gloves.

Fraser Forster is out on loan for the second season running, and so far has 28 appearances for Celtic.

This is what Fraser says about his life at Celtic:

“This has been one of the best years of my life, to be honest,” “Newcastle are my club, the team that I supported as a boy, but Celtic are just absolutely massive.”“I don’t think I really realized how big a club it was until I arrived here. And then when I played in my first Old Firm game I probably fully understood what it meant to be Celtic’s goalkeeper.”

“I remember standing at Ibrox in the last league game with 10,000 Celtic fans behind me singing ‘I just can’t get enough’. Those games are seriously special, and even better if you win them – like we did in that one.”

“It is just invaluable experience for a young goalkeeper. If you’re going to go out on loan, you can’t ask for two much bigger clubs than the two I’ve been at recently.”

“Everything I am doing here is giving me experience and helping me to become a better goalkeeper and a more mature person. Playing games was always going to be essential and after what happened at Norwich last year, I didn’t want to go back on the bench – I wanted to push my career forward.”

“And it has been everything I was looking for. I’ve even managed to get a taste for haggis and Irn-Bru, although I probably shouldn’t admit that.”

When you get first team games continually like Forster has had at Norwich and Celtic these last two seasons it’s hard to go back to Newcastle and possibly sit on the bench all season, and it’s hard to see that happening with Fraser in the future.

Fraser was asked what he though of his future at Newcastle and said:

“To be honest I need to look at my next game as a priority, and that next game is for Celtic,”“I will worry about Newcastle when I get back there at the end of the season – that has to be my approach. I’m here until the end of the season and then it will be up to the manager. You can’t worry about it in February, can you?”

“I suppose Newcastle are a bit special in that we’ve got so many great keepers on the books. That competition is brilliant to have because it brings out the best in us and Steve Harper is such a top man for the club.”

“He is a brilliant keeper and is always there with advice when you need it.” “I am intending to come back and see the lads and talk to the manager in the next few weeks and I have spoken to goalkeeper coach Andy Woodman a few times – he’s great and very supportive as well.”

“Obviously Newcastle is my home and I love the city, but Glasgow is an incredible place and I love living here,” he said. “It rains a bit too much but it is fantastic to walk around and see the sights – the West End is very nice.”“There are great restaurants and it is brilliant for shopping too.”

“It is similar to Newcastle because it is a great, lively place that lives for football. You get stopped everywhere you go and with two teams in the same city, the rivalry is just intense.”

With all those accolades about Glasgow Celtic,  it would be easy to assume Fraser would be happy enough to sign for the Glasgow giants long term, but that’s not what Alan Pardew wants.

But just how long the Newcastle manager will be able to hang onto Fraser, while there is no number one position for him at the Newcastle club, is a very  good question.

• sith

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:32 AM

1st

• sith

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM

i rate him higher than krul..

• Dude

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:36 AM

2 pretty vile sets of hate-ridden supporters in a mickey mouse league. he needs to open his eyes.

• G

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

FF has looked great at both Norwich and Celtic, but those in the know tell me he is the better keeper between himself and Krul (who isn’t too bad either). I still see SH as the number 1 keeper, but if either FF or TK push him for the job it’s no bad thing in my opinion. I would hate to see FF leave though.

• NOVA2967

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

To be Celtics number 1 is saying something. He has to be doing the job. I havent seen him play but I have seen Krul play and have to believe he is better than Krul. I couldnt see Krul starting for Celtic.

We must keep him. He takes half the goal up just standing between the sticks. Hope he gets the job next year as solid as Harps is some times you have to look at the long run.

• ginkoh

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM

With Celtic, there have everything except ‘ competiion ‘. Why player don’t feel happy when they play on the winnable side with no pressure. Celtic can win all the game they play in Scott league.

But their players will lack of challenge and competition that make football so enjoy and exciting. Look the Scott league legend who are average player in PRM, Barry Ferguson ? Sutton ? what the joke.

• Brutooon

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM

krul to loan out, forster start next season and harper backup

• Sav

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM

FF seems a sensible lad. He’s not saying too much here, and lets not make any more of it than it warrants.
    As for playing for Celtic, it is a big club, but the measure of a keeper is not the volume of boozy breath behind him but the quality of striker he is playing against, and 4 games a year against the bluenoses from down the road is not where its at.

• Visten

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Forster is a better keeper at this stage than Krul because he has had many more games. On top of this I think Forster is a prototype goalie, he has massive presence being 6”6, a good shot stopper and good at cleaning out attackers to get to that high ball. I think Krul should get the chance to go on loan next season with Forsters turn to backup Harper. The 2 young lads will know that they are both in a real shot of landing on their feet long term when Harper loses his place which will probably a couple of season away. The lad who does not get the number 1 jersey will probably leave and will see Soderberg as the number 2. Celtic are a huge club but they play in a mickey mouse league, the toon is of equal stature but of course play in a very competitive league.

• xXl NUFC lXx

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

forster !!:)

• solano

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Krul for me…better character and will be worth a fortune as he matures……also has an affinity with the club and fans unlike FF who has done nothing but shout out and hanker for a permanent move to the Poops….

• BWFFBW

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I rate him higher than Harper.