Mike Williamson and Alan Pardew Both Show Their Class

Newcastle have had some characters over the last few years who have been prima donnas, and have put themselves before the club.

Mike Williamson – in action against Blackburn

But there’s not many of them left at Newcastle these days,  as the team spirit at Newcastle has never been better.

27 year-old Mike Williamson is one of Newcastle best buys in recent times, signed for just £1M from Portsmouth just over a year ago, and in a new interview today, he opens the door a little to the way in which Alan Pardew manages his players.

We like what Mike say and how Alan manages the players too.

This is what Mike, who was born in Stoke on Trent,  said today:

“When the gaffer came in he didn’t know me, and I hadn’t done anything for him,” “Chris brought me here and I’d done well for him.”

“Before the Manchester City game he pulled me in and basically just said, ‘Steven did well for me against Liverpool, I’m going to start him again. I like you as a player, I’ve seen a bit of you.’ We had a good chat and got acquainted.”

“I said, ‘Fair enough,’ it’s nice for managers to do that. It’s nice to know where you stand and I think that’s what it’s all about. He puts his stall out so everyone knows their place.”

“That’s the only thing you can ask for from a new manager, that everyone’s on a level playing field, there’s no favorites or anything like that, that people’s name doesn’t go before what they actually do on the pitch.”

It’s good to hear that about the new manager, because it shows Alan is a good man manager, and we’d certainly heard that  from fans of some of the previous clubs he’s managed.

Hopefully the great team spirit at the club will also continue with Alan, as he seems fair with players and Pardew himself says he has learned from some of his brashness of the past,  and his 10 years experience of managing clubs.

And of course when Alan came on board he made a point of watching all the tapes of this season’s games, so he would have seen Mike play well in a number of those games.

This season is a season of consolidation for Mike, being the first time he’s played in the Premier League, and with Steven Taylor back in training now, it will be interesting to see what back four Alan will start in the next game against Bolton this Saturday afternoon at home.

We’d be surprised if it’s changed from the last few games, even with Steven being fit again.

Mike continued:

“I was lucky Chris was someone who could see the potential, took the gamble and I would like to think it paid off in his time here,”  “I wasn’t worried for the future when he left. It’s football. I went through seven or eight managers at Wycombe, that’s just the way it goes.”

“The last few years this club has been through quite a few. It’s nothing new for a player. It’s sad when it does happen if you’ve got a good relationship with the manager at the time but unfortunately its part and parcel.”

“You just have to knuckle down, prove yourself on the training pitch and take it into the games.”

“The gaffer’s set his stall out in the way he’s integrated with the lads, he’s carried the momentum and just tried to tweak things here and there,”  “It’s a credit to him.”

“Instantly he could see the team, the spirit and the dynamics of how it works,  and it was up to him as an intelligent man to keep things going. He’s just kept the thing snowballing, which is great for the club.”

When Alan came in last December he was close to brilliant in the way he kept things going and didn’t upset the great things that Chris Hughton had achieved in his 18 months as manager of Newcastle United.

Mike has signed a new long term deal,  which will keep him at Newcastle until the summer of 2016, and that’s some good business by the club, as Mike will only improve further, as he gets more experience in the Premier League.

After the excellent performance at Birmingham last Tuesday night,  it was good that Pardew singled out Williamson for special praise, because in the two games since the first half  disaster against Arsenal a couple of weeks ago, he’s put in some excellent shifts for the side.

If Steven Taylor shows good form in training and in tomorrow’s Reserve game at home, then it could be in a game or two that Pardew even tries Taylor at right back.

Steven has played there before, and Alan may come to the conclusion that a Taylor, Williamson, Coloccini Enrique back four,  is the best one he has available right now, so that would certainly be unlucky for Danny Simpson.

It  will be interesting what the back four is in the next few games.

For the record,  Mike now has 39 appearances for Newcastle, with 24 of them being this season.

• G

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:54 AM

A very good defender, who takes a lot of flak, and it’s nice to see a manager capable of communication with his squad. Not many managers seem to justify their selections to players these days.

• daneevz

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM

dunno bout tayls at right bk i think simmo hes been more solid than williamson so id exchange willo and tayls around

• G

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Still see Tayls and Collo as our first choice centre half pairing, with Jose and Simmo at full back. As for Willo’s place in this line up, I currently see him as back up to ST and FC, but would love to see him push them both all the way and force himself first choice.

• daneevz

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM

our 35m plus more has been spent http://twitpic.com/41z5mg !!!

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM

• Davies

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Taylor? First choice? Really?

He’s spent most of the last 18 months injured and he looked a little rusty when he came back from injury (again) last time.

The back four has been more solid in its current incranation than it has in many years. I really think Williamson and Colo have to be first choice at CB, and Danny Simpson is coming along quite nicely as well. Taylor’s either going to have to fight VERY hard for a place in the team, or wait for an injury. I hope it’s the former.

• super bartooon

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I can safely say with a bit of communications with the fans Mike Ashley can be a top club owner at Newcastle yes he did play a huge hand in getting this club relegated which I think was a blessing in disguise played an even greater hand in getting us promoted which can be proven by paying wages to premier league class players top wages in the fizzys the likes of nolan barton collo smith lovenkrands who frankly got us promoted yes he did sensationally sack Hoots and replaced him with Pardew whom seems to be on the Playing staff good books if not the fans good books a bandwagon which frankly we should all jump on yes he did sell our prized asset but then again for 35m pounds 25% sell on clause for a 6 month experianced crocked unproven youngster in the premier league installed a wage cap which essentially will leave the club on a level playing field financilly cleared the debt owed by the club to the banks for f*** sakes get off the Fat Mans back judge him this summer if we don’t get to speend that 35m pounds.

• G

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Will have to agree to disagree with you there Davies. All CB’s make the odd error, it’s the nature of the position. I think overall ST edges it with ability, and has a better ability to read the game. People still judge ST on the times when he used to put his hand up for high balls. Last time I saw him do that was 2 years ago.

• NOVA2967

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

daneevz…
    I havent heard much on Simpson all year. He been extremely solid on the right and deserves some praise although anyone taking over from Perch is going to look great.

• toonfan09

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:11 AM

willo offers more in the air because of his height i prefer him and colo because then u have one stronger in the air and colo really good at reading play and interceptions on the ground steven taylor should not just walk back in the squad

• Spuggy

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Angry Man,

I totally disagree, I think the majority of sensible objective fans see through the pain of the last few years – and yes the bed board decisions – but now we’re a well run club financially, have a great core of first team players, a great youth strategy (which ashley did not have to invest in) and a bright future if we invest wisely in the summer.

How ANYONE can be disappointed with where we are in the PL is beyond me. We all expected a relegation scrap, and noone would have believed we’d have players of the calibre of Arfa and Tiote on the books – did Ashley have to go find them and invest no – he could have plundered the lower leagues.

Do you really want a foreign tycoon to come in and rip the soul out of the club, in which case we will never see local talent developed again?

Sometime it’s better the devil you know. And I for one am very excited about the summer and the season to follow. Im sorry but to be a supporter you have to SUPPORT the club, the owners, the players and the staff.

• Spuggy

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Sorry for the rant – I’m just SOOOO sick of the moronic ‘fans’ slagging Ashley off every single day, if not him then Pardew, Perch, Best etc etc.

Do you have any idea what it means to be a supporter?

• nightfa11

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM

mike williamson is a good squad player..no more.. you talk like he’s wold class, but colo’s saving his ass every match..SEVERAL times.. mike makes a lot of mistakes…A LOT…

• toonfan09

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM

nobody is saying he is world class at all but the fact is would taylor have been able to keep zigic quiet like wilo did same with samba i dont think he could

• callie9

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Ed.

You can’t drop Simpson for Taylor. Simpson hasn’t put a foot wrong all season and is developing very nicely.

• SL_toon

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:09 PM

think goal.com did a screw up saying we’ve loaned david edgar to burnley this week! hahahah

• clinta2

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:12 PM

@ angryman- yeah I read that article too, and what a load of bollocks.

Simply comparing Arsenal in 2007 with the Newcastle club MA took over is completely unfair and unjustified.

• Stuart

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Completely agree with you Spuggy, well said.

As for the Willo Taylor debate, my preference is Willo and Colo at the back. It should definately be that for the bolten game at least as they’ve got two cleans sheets in the last two games.

• roy cropper

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM

angryman – you & me too.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Sorry angryman @#5 if you couldn’t have said it better yourself then all it shows is how limited your view is.

What a lopsided load of claptrap it is the arsenhole comparison is just plain stupid, what the f*** has having a lord and a sir on the board got to do with football???????

To quote the letter
    “Since May 2007, Arsenal has had the same manager leading their team despite mild supporter unrest at a perceived lack of success.“
    To quote Wenger’s CV from wiki.
    “Arsène Wenger who has managed English Premier League side Arsenal since 1996. He is the most successful manager in the history of Arsenal in terms of trophies and is also the club’s longest-serving manager”
    Doesn’t quite match up does it??

I could go on but will refrain suffice to say in my opinion it is the ranting of a deluded individual and it is these such rants that have supplied the press and opposition fans with the ammunition to ridicule the NUFC fan and label them as deluded. People with such a limited view on life should try to keep their concentration focused on how to get the top of the bottle.

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Cupiddstunt by name……..
    I simply cannot believe that there are people out there who think this fat maggot has done anything good for this club???

Go on then whats he done good for our club??

PS…go to companies house, download the last accounts for a small fee, read them and then comeback and tell me, wht has he done that is good for this club?

Still in debt guys after nigh on four years of his incompetent reign!!

I wanted to believe that his imbecile had actually turned the corner, he was doing some good, then along comes the Carroll debacle….No No No, i do not think he was wrong for selling Carroll, au contrare, I think it is an amazing piece of business, had it been carrie dout in the correct fashion, you know like Liverpool, sorry, you cant have him until our replacement is in place!! Instead, they insulted our intelligence again with the N’Zoggy and Richardson bilge PMSL?? And you are trying to tell me, no doubt with a straight face, that this Maggot, does not feed from NUFC’s adoring public and their misery?

Come on then, what HAS he done that is so good for this club in the last 4- Years???????????

• Spotlight Kid

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Spuggy. FYI.
    1) A supporter supports ‘the club’,
    2) ‘The club’ is an entity that trancends owner, manager and players (a point the great SBR pointed out on several occasions).

As a supporter I wish to see ‘the club’ succeed, therefore if I see an impediment to that success (of course always i.m.h.o.) I will point it out. You can disagree, but you cannot stifle that freedom. It’s the fundamental supporter’s freedom of speech, for without supporters there is no club – meanwhile owners, managers and players are mere transients in the greater scheme of things.

In the case of Mr Ashley and Mr Pardew the more transient the better (again, of course, i.m.h.o)!

PS: Besides supporters like Angry Man and Roy Cropper are much needed to balance the soporific toadyness of this blog. It’s like Ashley writes Ed’s articles at times, especially the daily ones of the ‘Pardew salutes the passion of Geordie fans’ variety (sick, sick, sick..).

• Angryman the Angry fan

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Spuggy, that us a moronic question sonner..

“Do you have any idea what it means to be a supporter?”

Especially if it was pointed in My direction.
    32 Years of supporting My team, notice it was my team and not my club!! Oh yes I have been through some sh!thouse owners, ups downs, peaks and some mighty troughs, but i have NEVER stopped supporting my team, for the last 15-16 years I have been going home and away religiously, i would hate to even estimate the amount of money i have ploughed into this football CLUB!!

I AM A SUPPORTER and just because I do not like, in fact hate the way the club is being run at the moment, and admittedly i am very vocal and can be offensive at times to people who offend, you cannot question my support!!

basically I am toon till I die!!
    But think the blood is being sucked from my CLUB by a big Fat Maggot who (Proven) has got the foggiest about running this club, other than into the ground!!

For the Record, Pardew is doing very well with Hughtons Team. Hope he continues to do so, but the proof will be in the pudding (Not the big fat F11cka who runs the club) Next season, when he has his own team without Enrique, Tiote or Bartoon!!!

• Klatoon

Feb 21, 2011 at 3:46 PM

STaylor shd fight for his place,no walking straight back into the starting 11. As for the Bolton game,Willo should definitely start because Elmander and Davies are a handful in the air and he’s(willo) better than Staylor in the air. He also offers so much offensively,most of Joey’s fk’s,corners are aimed at him and he almost always wins the knockdwns

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Williamson has been one of the bargains of the season. What a great buy by Hoots. Another that is now proving his worth is Best, another good Pardew signing. Both are better players now for their involvement with the first team in the Premiership this season.

Ed – I have mentioned it many times before but I have always said that S.Taylor at RB would make our defense even stronger. I know Simpson has been playing well and improving rapidly but Taylor should be our first choice RB and if Williamson or Coloccini have an off day or get injured only then will I move S.Taylor to CB and Simpson back at RB. This way Simpson will push even harder to improve his game and get a starting spot ahead of S.Taylor. The times Saylor has has played there he has looked very strong and exciting when going forward. He’s not a bad crosser of the ball either.

——————- Best —– Ranger —————-

——————– Nolan or Ireland —————–

Ben Arfa ———————————- Barton

————————–Tiote————————–

Enrique —– Colo —– Willo —– S.Taylor

———————– Harper ————————

Subs: Forster or Krul , Raylor , Simpson , Gosling , Vuckic, Loven, Ameobi (hopefully replaced by a quality striker that’s not injury prone!)

NOW THAT’S A BLOODY GOOD STRONG TEAM!!! The Bench needs beefing up a bit. Just more depth and we’re sorted! 😀

I can’t wait for Benny to play again!

Howay the Lads!

What Do You guys Think with the line-up??????

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:51 PM

* correction “Best-another good ‘Hoots’ signing”! 😛

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Woops! I left Spidey out of the subs bench, I guess in place of Vuckic who’s still too raw and needs to improve.

• chuck

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Well seems we are diametrically opposed on most assesments of both players and managers.
    Williamson IMO is not really pl quality.
    He, if you pay attention to his game, gets caught out of position, through bad reading of the game.
    tends to ball watch in the box and lose his man.
    His ball distribution needs work and tends to go in a lot with sliding tackles, which can result in either fowls called or takes him out of the play if misstimed.
    Pardew ? he has Hughtons side and as stated has done little to change things (is`nt that whats said above?)
    I personally dont like his style or the way tends to take credit for things that go good, but places blame elswhere when they dont.
    He believes he`s the best thing since sliced bread, i dont, lets see who`s right.

• chuck

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Fouls, Fowls are flying tackles i believe ?

• clinta2

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM

@ the angryman tyoe fans out there

Bored by the ‘i’m a real fan’ rants. But I do agree with you that you are (obviously) a fan and have a right to your opinion. Supporting something blindly is harldy a good thing.

But, that fact is when people read and support articles, like the one linked above, they do so without realising how idiotic it actually is. And tha smacks of ignorance.

When people read something that suits their own view or even strengthens their belief its hard to view it objectively and the above mentioned article is not only completely subjective, but lacks any real argument or proof to back up any massive assumptions.

Its just a pity fans, even of the anti-MA variety can not see through such pathetic writing. These are the same people that go an buy the Sun, etc and then spend weeks arguing over mythical new stories and believe the wide spread misinformation.