Tiote Turned Down Chelsea In January – Prefers Newcastle

There was news yesterday in the Sunday papers that Newcastle’s Cheick Tiote turned down a chance to move to Chelsea last month.

Cheick Tiote – yes !!!!!!!!! – now catch me if you can!

So the fact that Cheick signed a massive new deal at Newcastle to keep him on Tyneside through the summer of 2017 is even better news than we first thought, and it seems it was even like a reward for wanting to stay at the club long term.

It seems that  Tiote snubbed a move to Chelsea on January 31st to stay on Tyneside, so there wasn’t only the Andy Carroll deal going on during that final day of the transfer window.

And it now makes a lot more sense why Alan Pardew said on Friday that Andy and Cheick were different – and that Cheick was the one who wanted to stay on Tyneside.

Seems more and more like Andy didn’t, and took the money and left.

Cheick said yesterday he had settled down well at Newcastle, and had been made very welcome at the club by both players and fans, and that he just wanted to stay on Tyneside.

This is what Cheick said yesterday:

“If you come to a new club in a new country it is important there is a good atmosphere at the club.” “As soon as I arrived here the players made me welcome. They helped me settle in and meant I could do a good job on the pitch.”

“Newcastle life is good for me. It is not like London – London is too busy, there are too many people.” “Newcastle is not so busy. That makes it easier to focus on your job. For me it is important. I would like to be here for a few years. I can learn here.”

“I feel settled here. I enjoy it here. The fans are good and the new manager likes me. The club has looked after me and I do my best for the team and the fans.” “I made sacrifices to be a player,” “I had to leave my family, my six brothers and three sisters. It was so difficult.”

“Now I have a better life and I am happy for that but I had to be focused.” “In Africa the young boys want to go out all the time, they want to do something different.” “But for me the being different was to make it as a professional. To do that I had to leave that life.”

“Going back would have been like saying, ‘I lose’. I don’t do losing. I want to win every challenge, every tackle, anything.” “When I was little my dad told me, ‘If you want to have something in your life, you have to work hard’.

“My dad is dead now but I think he would be proud of me.”

Those are great words from Cheick and it’s not hard to understand why he’s so loved on Tyneside, and this statement and the fact he turned down Chelsea will only make him even more popular on Tyneside.

Seems like Cheick has something not seen in many footballers these days – loyalty.

There’s just a couple more points to make – one is that it seems Newcastle must have accepted a deal from Chelsea, so were willing to let Tiote go,  and it would be interesting to know how much Chelsea offered for the Ivory Coast International.

And the other point is that it’s now very unlikely that Chelsea will be back in the summer, after Cheick has already turned them down.

This is the type of lad we want on Tyneside – he wants to be here! 😀

• BiffBaffBoff

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Actually, I doubt Newcastle did accept an offer from Chelsea, the only reason they accepted Liverpools offer for AC was because he wanted to leave and handed in a transfer request…

• Troleibusiukas_LTU

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Agree with BiffBaffBoff.

• GeordieGerman

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

BiffBaffBoff, have to agree with you. Chelsea may have got no further than approaching Cheick’s agent.

• Sav

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM

We don’t know the facts of Carroll’s exit, so please give it a rest. However, it does seem as if Carroll’s agent was already aware of how much the scousers were willing to pay. The same may be what Tiote, or his agent, rejected. Whether it got as far as the club accepting a transfer fee, who can tell? Well, I supppose Ashley and the Essex Streaker can confirm it but i’s not likely we’ll hear about it from them.

• lesh

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM

C’mon Ed, You’ll remember that it was the press that was talking up the ‘fact’ that Cheski were ready to bid and you’re assuming that there actually was an offer from Chelsea to turn down.

Could it not be anything more than Cheick saying that he’s happy in Newcastle and doesn’t fancy life in London?

That’s not exactly snubbing Chelsea is it?

• lesh

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Cheski = Chelski

• supervil

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Yep.

Thinking the message is loud and clear: “If you want to stay, then stay.”

Ashley wants to keep Tiote. Tiote wants to stay. Andy Carroll, on the other hand, had a wandering eye and ego. Of course we were going to refuse a 3rd Contract renewal in 12 months from him. AC had no loyalty.

Which makes that £35mil price tag look even better.

• digereedo

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Tiote has never said anything about a bid from Chelsea. Because it never happened. Infact Tiote has previously said that he was a Chelsea fan since Drogba moved there. If Chelsea come in for Tiote he would jump ship in a second. It is funny to read grown men thinking a player is loyal for turning down an imaginary bid. Great player but lets not fall into the trap of thinking a player from overseas whose been here 5 minutes is suddenly gonna turn down double wages to play for a champions league team with his hero Drogba.

• Brutooon

Feb 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM

he going to be a legend, great person outside the football pitch

• CheickTiote

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I have actually seen various reports on various sites claiming that Cheick snubbed various teams; Chealsea and Real Madrid included. I still don’t know how they manage to manufacture the quotes Cheick said yesterday into him snubbing Chealsea? Great if he has done. Cheick Tiote is my favourite player at Newcastle. Barton and Enrique take note.

• lobacka

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:45 PM

digereedo,
    why would tiote join drogba when he’s only got maybe a season left in him, and why would tiote want to play at stamford bridge where there is no atmosphere, and why would he want to be in the same dressing room as all those ‘egos’ who completely lack any team spirit or togetherness, he’s already a legend here and why would he want to play on front of anyone other than geordies

• Dude

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Prototype Toon player in terms of ability and attitude. Contrast his words and family situation with some of the trash we’ve had here in the past. And then the ability levels … Oh and I love that every time he gets the ball there are cries of ‘Shoooot’, even if he’s on the halfway line. Brilliant. That’s why I watch matches.

• DarloGeordie

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM

The man (Tiote) gets better and better, I would choose Newcastle over Chelski any day but i am biased lol, Carroll is an immature little gypsy that needs a hair cut…

Notice the difference of attitudes between a money grabbing little prick from England compared to a respectful appreciative lad from the Coast, makes you think doesn’t it.

• Marty-Toon

Feb 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Off subject a little but what ye think?
    QUESTION???
    What about ROONEY`S challenge?
    Didn`t Willo get a 3 match ban for less?
    Disgraceful letting him off and lets seee next weekend when someting similar happens.
    Consistency my arse

• henock1989

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

blues dont want him they have
    mikel and essien..why would they want him???

• NorseMag

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Ed.

Where in these quotes can you find proof for your headline?