Mike Ashley Will Reinvest The £35M – Despite What Keegan Says

We got quite a few emails yesterday on the Kevin Keegan interview with BBC Newcastle yesterday.

Kevin Keegan – during his second spell as manager of Newcastle

The statement that’s causing all the controversy is that Kevin doesn’t think Alan Pardew will see any of the £35M that the club got for Andy Carroll, and that’s hard to believe.

But first of all let’s look at what Kevin actually did say, where he draws the comparison of the Andy Carroll transfer, to the sale of James Milner to Aston Villa near the end of the summer, 2008 window.

Back then Newcastle got an offer they couldn’t refuse for Milner from Villa, above their own valuations of James, but it was also  too late to bring in a replacement, and Kevin didn’t want to lose James in the first place.

This is some of what Kevin said yesterday:

“I saw an interview where Alan Pardew said he hoped to get some of that £35M from the Carroll sale. I thought: ‘Alan, you ain’t going to get any of that’.”

“But I want Newcastle to do well. I think £35M, if I had been manager at the time and we’d got that offer, I’d have taken it. I’ve got to say.”

“But how can you spend it if it is last day of the transfer window? That was my big argument with it, when we were selling James Milner, for a lot of money for him, more than the valuation we put on him at the time.”

“I said to them, ‘Please don’t sell him until I’ve got someone in, we’ve got four days, but the guy said I’ve given my word, he goes on Sunday.”

“The reason I didn’t want them to put that out was so that I could go and get a good value signing with the money. If you get £11million for James Milner and you go for another player similar, they say well if he is worth £11million, our guy has got to be worth £9M.”

“So it is business really, a sensible way to do it.”

From Ashley’s viewpoint they had four days to get in a new player, and to delay the sale of Milner wouldn’t make much sense, if they had already done the deal, and what did Kevin want — to not sell James if he didn’t get a replavement in?

By that time that was not an option.

Don’t get us wrong it’s not a good way to business, selling your best players near the end of the transfer window when you have no replacements in and the offer for Carroll was a lot better than we got for James, given what the club’s valuations were on each player at the time.

Come August 31st this summer, we’ll all be holding our breath that we will not do the same thing again – but that will be possible we suppose – and the other clubs do it on purpose – to force the issue with little time remaining.

One thing we must realize with Ashley is that every player has their price, but that’s nothing new, and it’s something Bobby Robson used to often say.

And most fans think £35M for Carroll was an excellent piece of business for Newcastle, as long as the money is reinvested into the squad in transfer fees, wages and even making improvements –  like under-soil heating at the Benton Training grounds.

All we need now is for Nile Ranger to come through big time in the next year or two, and we’ll not have lost too much. 😀

There must be an awful lot of negativity with Kevin Keegan surrounding Mike Ashley and we know why, and notice Kevin doesn’t call Mike by name – he’s the guy.

We don’t think too much of Mike Ashley but we have a very hard job believing he will not invest most of the £35M back into the club.

Fans’ view of Ashley vary from he’s aout to sap as much money he can out of the Newcastle club, to being a very good fionancial buisnessman who is simply putting Newcatsle on a good financial footing for the future where they can be self sufficient.

We think the truth probably lies somewhere in between those two views.

But Kevin’s remarks will have brought up some new fresh doubts about Ashley and his motives, and that will not help new manager Alan Pardew, or will it?

It may even help Alan because it puts the issue into focus, and we will know around how much Alan will spend this summer, and in that way it could even help Pardew, who has come over as an honest and positive coach these last couple of  months – and determined to make himself successful on Tyneside.

Sounds good to us, and we are always willing to give anybody a fair chance on Tyneside.

And you can imagine the Newcastle hierarchy will not be too happy at Kevin’s statement, but you know sometimes we all have to grow up – and let bygones be bygones – and move on.

You just have to look at the ridiculous hand-shake between Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini last weekend – they were both like little kids sulking in the playground – and it’s time for both of them to move on, in that particular case.

That’s not meant to be any criticism of Kevin, as he was certainly done the dirty on by Mike Ashley, in almost the worse way possible becasue he was lied to.

But we are hoping (and hoping and hoping) the Newcastle owner will have learned something in the last 42 months – but maybe not.

I’ll bring out an article later today on our poll regarding Mike’s potential reinvestment, where fans seem to be split right down the middle as to whether he will indeed reinvest that £35M.

We are siding on the side that he will – but in  transfer fees and wages.

If you haven’t voted yet – this will be your last chance- the poll is on our home page down the right hand column, and I’ll be taking the results as they stand and closing the poll in about three hours time.

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM

F**k Keegan!

He’s walked out on us twice and didnt mind taking as much money from us as possible during the season in the CCC when we really needed the money.

Of course AP is going to get some of the money, they were making bids for players before the window shut in January. Obviously its already been said that its going on fees and wages, but would you really complain considering that just signed Tiote on for another 6 and a half years?

• supermacnumber9

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I was just looking at reports on arsenal’s accounts and they made a loss last year – the reason given was that it was the only year they did not make a big money sale! No-one at other clubs rock the boat when big names are sold for big money – Liverpool & manu also come to mind recently – so why are we so paranoid? We have made some excellent signings so the money has not disspeared, and I feel there are some great players on there way here soon from the cash in the kity! This is fooball – its allways been this way – we appear simply to be a typical PL club – at last!
    HWTL

• Jimay

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I think you can’t compare Kevin’s situation with Alan’s as the financial stability was different at that time when Keegan was at the club. We had a lot of players with very high wages. It was also the problem that we could end up in the Championship.

I believe that we are in a better position at the moment were we have get rid of some players with high salaries (Owen, Geremi etc) so it will be easier to invest in new players.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Stuart – Keegan made a lot of mistakes – those years were unforgetable, but he had no idea about club development (scrapping the reserves a big mistake) and players came and went at amazing speed (I was watching Saha the other day and had fogotten he was here for a few games). A crazy regime like his could never survive theses days – perhaps thats what made it special – its a bit of a shame he came back cos it was never going to work.
    HWTL

• JohnnyBrookes

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:40 AM

KK is bang on the money, @Stuart “F**K Keegan” mate, you need to think about your club, had we of slipped into the 3rd tier, things may be very different. Ashley would not have a PL club without Keegan, who established us as a force in the League, in our first season.

If you really would choose Ashley over Keegan your loyalties to the club are miles, miles out.

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Dont get me wrong supermac, during his first spell in charge I loved the man, it was a good time to be a newcastle supporter. But you’re right, it was never going to work when he came back. The club had significantly changed, and football had significantly changed and he was from a different time that wouldn’t work anymore.

Speaking of Saha like I had to be reminded by my mate that he played for us, completely forgot like.

• clinta2

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Agree F@@k Keegan! Also largely agree with supermac.

The fact is we’ve always been more of a selling club when you look at our better players. For example, ferdinand, Ginola, Cole, etc. The exception of course is Shearer.

Yes we’ve spent millions on big name players and splashed the cash in the past, but the vast majority of these players proved hopeless, so no other teams were looking to come in and buy them from us, especially given the stupid wages we gave them.

The thing thats really changed now is we are buying good young players and not paying over the top for them. They are playing well week in and week out for us and are naturally attracting the bigger clubs.

While sad to see great players leave, I think its also a sign that perhaps the clubs doing some things right.

I know I’d rather a team of good young talent, with the occasional player wanting a move to the bigger boys, then a bunch of over paid has been’s and never will be’s that no other club will touch until out of contract.

You’d think some on here would prefer the latter?!

• tdt

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:45 AM

It makes business sense not to tell the world we have £35M to spend… just like it was business sense not to tell the world KK had £11M to spend.

Come on people open your eyes, KK is a legend but if we want to survive and do well in the future we need to be business savvy, which usually means keep your financial cards close to your chest, then boom get your targets at a good price.

If we went around publisishing how we’ve got tons of cach to spend in the summer what do you think thats going to do to asking prices? Its not hard to understand why AP doesn’t want to disclose the fact that he’ll have a decent amount of cash to spend, becuase it wont go half as far if he does!

Slow, sustainable growth is just fine by me. The summer window will show where we really are, there’s no excuses of relegation (hopefully not anyway!) or anything like that. Then we’ll see what the clubs ambition really is. I’m hopeful, you have to be in these circumstances. We’re doing well this year and we’re gradually growing.

What more can you ask for? I want success now as much as the next person, but we have to be realistic. When you have 5/6 teams spending unsustainable amounts of money in the pursue of success, you cant expect to bet them in your 1st seasson after promotion. But over the longterm we can and will compete for top 6, 5, or even 4 in the future. Patience is the key.

Once the new FIFA/UEFA rules come into force and teams cant spend stupid money to get players, then we’ll see whose got the better strategy. I think we are thinking ahead, building up a squad of young palyers who can help us achieve for years to come, without the £100,000 per week ego’s to boot.

We should focus on the longterm goals that we’re already hitting: got promoted, in the top half at present, push on next year (is the next step).

I for one am happy about where we are at the moment as a club, despite the Keegangate scandal etc (I respect KK hugely btw). Rome wasnt built in a day, neither was man u over the last 20 years or arsenal over the past 10 year.

Focus on the overall aims, not the day-to-day grumbles. If we stay focused on the end-product of being a sucessful top5 team again, back in europe, more moeny into scouting and an even bigger lure for the young talent of tomorrow, it’ll not be long before we’re challenging in finals and at the top end of the table again.

Stay focused people, dont let the brain-dead sensationalist media derail our plans. HWTL

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Do me a favour Johnny, just because I dont agree with you doesnt mean my loyalties are miles out. I’ve supported the club obsessively since I was about 3 years old, I’m now 22.

Plus I Just said, during his first spell in charge I loved the man. Coming back for a second spell was suicide.

So yeah, do me a favour, just because I don’t believe your overly pessimistic views that you post constantly doesnt make me any less of a supporter. You obviously show your loyalties to the club by slagging it off and living in the past. I show mine by supporting the team and hoping for the best in the summer.

• Stevo

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:46 AM

He’s right!

If it wasn’t for KK we’d still be squirming around the bottom of the 2nd division.

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM

And oh yeah, Ashley over Keegan? Anyday of the week mate, Keegan has never had a job he hasnt thrown his dummy out and quit.

• shear-class

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Can anybody tell me what Louis Saha has got to do with Kevin Keegan if my memory serves me correct it was Ruud Gullit that took him on loan from Metz nothing to do with Keegan

• Stevo

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM

It comes down to the fact Ashley & Co. should have had a back up plan to the event that Carroll or whoever might be sold. Like TDT says, secretly line up targets and acquire them at the going price. Any player we go for in the summer will be +5m because they know we have the cash.

• shear-class

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:00 AM

tdt-
    you are absolutely spot on agree with you 99% as for relegation i will not rest until we win another couple of games 42 points should do it

• Charlietoon

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

You know what I think we have already seen some of that $35 mill being spent by securing Tiote on a $50g a week deal so Keegan can go flark himself

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Agreed Charlietoon! I’m very happy that some of the £35m is going on wages if it means we’re going to tie key players down to longterm contracts like Tiote.

• nufc_mad

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Keegan can’t comment on what Newcastle will or won’t do, he is no longer at the club and there fore doesn’t know what we have in store for the summer, he is a true legend at Newcastle I’m not disputing that at all. i do hope that they keep there more and free up funds for transfers in the summer, also i do not understand why reports are coming through about Enrique in talks with AC Milan this is not possible due to him being tied to the club until next summer.

• spanishtoon

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Well this may be the case…but KK could actually be doing us a facvour by speaking out on this

• sweendog

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:18 AM

still think KK was a hero .. ashley and co. ruined him .. he loves the toon and always did his best ..
    still we’ve moved on .. pardew is looking a decent manager

• daneevz

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:22 AM

keegan full of crap!! i remember keegan yes as the man who got us up there but also the man who threw away a decent point lead and threw it away! so what did we win…… sweet fa so i agree he did us ova aswell as ashley by screwing us out of millions so forget him and he should keep his beak out!!

• tiotal football

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM

KK was a hero in his first term but he shouldn’t of come back.

Didn’t exactly do us any favours either when he sued us!

• wynsleap

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:27 AM

People keep harping on about Tiote’s wages (and others) coming out of the £35 mill.
    If you remember or believe, Ashley’s very early statement that he wanted to put in £20 mill. each year, then all these wages should come out of that figure in the summer. The £35 mill. could then be spent on acquisitions.
    There again we know that isn’t going to happen therefore that £20 mill. annual investment into players will (once again) not take place.
    But, in Ed’s own words, “hey” why should the Controller change the habits of a lifetime?
    If, in the overall time Ashley has been at the club, you take all of his outgoing transfers and compare them to his incoming transfers you’ll probably find that Ashley has actually made money and spent nothing on recruitment in the time he has been here.
    Or am I wrong all you Ashley supporters?
    Oh and don’t mention the way he was “stitched up” when he bought the club and had to put more money in – that was HIS fault alone.

• HarryWorth

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:29 AM

“F**k Keegan!
    I’m sorry to say it, especially since he was the manager in charge when I started supporting newcastle, but he needs to keep his mouth shut.”

“Agree F@@k Keegan!”

“Didn’t exactly do us any favours either when he sued us!”

Theres some right f**kin spanners on here. Were the tribunal result and Keegans digging the club out of a hole twice too much for your tiny minds to take in. F**k off, you aint geordies, you are low Iq’d scum who stain the club by your so called support.

• derekm

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Keegan’s credibility is pretty much shot within football nowadays and he is obviously carrying a fair bit of baggage from his treatment – BUT I remember Joe Kinnear ( OK I know he was Ashley’s crony but..) saying that some of the things Keegan wanted immediately from Ashley bordered on the ridiculous, and I still think his dismissal and claim for cash rather conveniently came at the same time as the collapse of his sports soccer enterprise in Scotland. Now who’s the more qualified to talk about ” good business then kev – you or the billionaire Ashley? “

• Davies

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Our owner, for all his mistakes, has improved us as a club. I got a slagging off on .org for saying Keegan was out of order with these comments, and all of the other misdemeanours since he LEFT us first time round, but the fact is, Mike Ashley is our owner and we have to put a little faith in him, WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT.

There is no need for people who profess to love our club to keep providing negative press.

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Well said Davies!

• spanishtoon

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:43 AM

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Haha, I would love Bojan like spanishtoon but I can’t see him choosing us, if he is going in the summer every big club will be after him.

• Davies

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Bojan would be awesome, but I doubt we’d stand much of a chance of getting him.

• SirAlan

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Stuart Dont Cuss ex Legends in that way have some respect, ive also been told your NOT even a Geordie, arnt you the 1 from Manchester ???

• SirAlan

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Stuart you think Keegan is the Only one thinking this way ? why do you think Barton Jonas enrique are waiting till the Summer to talk about there CONTRACTS ? dont take to much Notice of ED, he needs to engage his brain before opening his mouth…..

• Widowmaker

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:02 PM

I am actually very happy that KK has said Alan Pardew will have nothing from the 35m to spend. KK’s words will certainly put pressure on MA, and it is a good thing. Just ask Jose about the creditibility of the board’s. (Having said that, I do believe Alan Pardew would have some money to spend, but I was not sure how much. I have my doubts on MA)

On the hand hand, I found it amusing how some of you are critising KK for leaving us. What else can he do? He was not allowed to do it his way, so why stays? Why would no one but Kinner and MA’s casino mate were willing to take the post? Remember, this is NUFC, one of the leading clubs in the 90s that used to link with all the biggest names in football, and it was built by a certain manager whose name was Kevin Keegan.

• HarryWorth

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:03 PM

“Johnny Brookes – My loyalties are with the club, not a former manager who seems to be taking any opportunity to stick the boot in.”

Where exactly did Keegan stick the boot in, you f retard.
    Did you read the bit, “This is some of what Kevin said yesterday”, if so , do you have the faculties to understand what was written and said as it appears that you and your other Ashley loving bum chums dont? 😀

• Stuart

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Do me a favour siralan,

What is it with people on here, if they don’t agree with your opinion you’re suddenly a mackem or something. I’ve supported newcastle for at least 20years and I’m from Durham.

If you’d read my posts you’d see that I said I loved the man during his first spell at the club, unfortunately my opinion of him has gradually gone down since his second spell.

You can’t tell me what to think mate and I dont support the club any less because I dont agree with a bitter ex-employees word.

• HarryWorth

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Where exactly did Keegan stick the boot in, you f**king retard.

• Magforlife

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:19 PM

KK was a hero to Newcastle and me, his teams will live in my memory forever. Should he have come back? simple answer NO !
    times have changed Kevin, thanks for the memories your time has run out at our club leave it in peace you do yourself no favours trying to drag Ashley down rightly or wrongly. You opted to run twice never stayed to fight, we on the other hand still turn up week on week. We support the club, you where paid by the club that’s the difference

• nufc_mad

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Magforlife – well said mate

• bills-son

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

KK and MA went to court so … as much as I love KK for the glory years … he isn’t ever going to dole out praise or positives about Ashley IS HE?!

What KK has said is absolutely irrelevant, based on hatred of MA not facts and therefore not worth paying any attention to.

I’m certain MA will spend at least £20M on fees in the summer + some decent wages. I’ll heat hay with a Mackem donkey if he doesn’t.

• bills-son

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Tell you what … I’ll not only heat the hay … I’ll fn eat it as well.

If the starving Mackem bstad doesn’t wolf it down first that is.

• terencelim

Mar 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Never, ever believe another words from Mike Ashley. If you do, the consequences may be another relegation.

Simple fact. If he is a bloke who will spend money on the club and do the job, why did he employ Alan Pardew as the club manager?