Ireland Also Hits Out At Houllier And Birmingham – Who’s Next?

Stephen Ireland has probably done himself an awful  lot of damage today, by his lengthy interview in the French magazine So Foot.

The Irishman hit out at his country of  birth, Ireland, his National side, the Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, and his former manager at Manchester City – Roberto Mancini.

And would you believe it, we missed a bit out, because the 24 year-old has also hit out at Frenchman Gerard Houllier, his manager at Aston Villa and he’s blasted the City of Birmingham too.

Nothing like making friends is there?

This is what Stephen Ireland told the French So Foot magazine:

“After 15 matches on the bench Houllier told me to stay at home,”  “I trained during the week and on Fridays he told me, ‘no point you coming, you are not in the team’.”

“Yet I was the best player in training. It was my team that won in every session. One of the few times he played me, we drew 0-0 at Chelsea and I ended up man of the match.”

“Apparently that didn’t matter to him. I was stuck with being paid for doing nothing at all. I was left to myself. I had to pay out of my own pocket for medical treatment. Can you believe that?”

Ireland was also unhappy (is he happy about anything?), at also being asked to move to  live in Birmingham, so he was closer to the Villa training facilities, but he called the second city a c**p city. Translation – he doesn’t much like Birmingham.

Stephen continued his tirade:

“Houllier asked me to come and live in Birmingham because it was taking me 75 minutes to come to training. But there were 15 players in the same position as me.”

“Some came from London and took more than two hours, but he only asked me to move,”

“For a start, Birmingham is a c**p city and I wasn’t going to make the effort, especially as I wasn’t playing. Might as well be in Manchester if I had to stay home on match days.”

These comments certainly don’t show Stephen Ireland in a good light at all, and that’s an understatement, but maybe he can clarify some of the statements he made today. But maybe not.

They will do his quest to make the deal at Newcastle permanent no good at all, and it could now be very difficult for him to get a deal at Newcastle in the summer.

And if doesn’t arrive on Tyneside, then  watch out for the Bigg Market to get panned. 😀

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I hope he does pan the Bigg Market. It’s a horrible, rancid cesspit.

He better not badmouth the rest of our city though…….. whyioughta!

Oh, and Brum IS minging. Even people from Brum know that.

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM

What an absolute tool this lad sounds like, this interview and and his replies obviously shows he is not a professional and just a moaning annoying little prick, no wonder he wasn’t picked.

Do not sign this man he is not needed in the Newcastle United team.

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:48 AM

moaned @DarloGeordie

• lewman

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:51 AM

well said stevie, birmingham is an overcrowded dump lol.
    anyway on a serious note, this all seems a bit tabloid press blowig things out of proportion. he didnt say anything bad about mark hughes and i just get the impression he is of a sensitive nature and has fallen out with people in the past and may feel slightly bitter over how he was treated. i dont understand why this should affect his career here in any way,shape or form.

• Stuart

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM

In Irelands defence though, he was treated like shit at both Man City and Villa.

Aslong as we don’t treat him badly we’ve got nowt to worry about IMO.

The mans free to say what he wants. It makes a change like because footballers are usually so media trained you never get more than the same 5 sentences from them.

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Mistreated, maybe because he brought it on himself acting like a tool… Hasn’t played a game so ill see what he does on the pitch but still sounds like one of them lads in your footy or rugby team that is just a bit weird and no one actually likes

• alex84

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

ah well. BIG DEAL!, at the end of the day he is here now, as long as he does the buisness on the pitch he can slag off mancini(deserved) Houllier(well deserved) and Birmingham , dont care, he has said all the right things about Newcastle,
    if he plays like he did at villa…then dont sign him…simple!!!

• daneevz

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

ok that 3 post about this pointless story who cares if he had a rant about previous clubs and managers its our our club we only care about the mighty Toon!!!

• stevep

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Typical press reading between the lines, typical footballer throwing his toys out the pram, typical Ed for reporting any old sh!te as news

• archaeomag

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I think it’s great to hear a player being honest.

Yeah, he’s got an ego, he’s a top player, a bit of ego can be forgiven.
    It’s good to hear what managers are actually like to work for, and that even the cook left Man city, inciteful stuff.

• cousto

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM

I do believe we signed a young french guy who was in a similar situation. As long as Ireland performs for the team he can say what he wants about Villa and Citeh.

• Spitfire

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Hang on before you slag him off: Is he telling the truth or a fairy story. I or one am pleased to see a footballer speak his mind instead of trotting out the bland anodyne coached-into-them responses we get from so many others.

• tynesidetommo

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Give it a rest Ed. This blog reads more like a forum for the Red Tops some days. Yer doing what you often accuse the scum press of doing – hyping up a story without knowing just how accurate his quotes really are.

He’s quite entitled to have a pop at the Villa manager and I can’t fault his description of Birmingham.

Last time I looked we were still allowed free speech.

• lewman

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:31 PM

did you sell this blog to rupert murdoch ed?

• G

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:32 PM

tynesidetommo @ 13. You tell Ed to keep quiet rather than publish the news (as reported everywhere) on his blog, then campaign for free speech. Make your mind up mate!

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Suppose this is what is called “Burning your bridges behind you”. Maybe he loves Newcastle so much, he wants to make sure there is no way back to Villa.

• Markaccus

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:36 PM

Maybe ed is next on Irelands list. And who can blame him if he is? After all, ed is clearly chaiman of the board for the “Steven Ireland witch hunt” committee!

• TOON4LIFE_1

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM

yep these articles are definitely utter nonsense. Im sorry but i am finding the credibility of these articles highly questionable ed. please sort it out!!

• MacToon

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM

3 threads about what Ireland has said!

FGS, like it matters to us what he thinks about City and Villa, what matters is his comitment or lack of it on the pitch for us.

• andye162

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I agree with Markaccus. Ed, you need to leave Ireland alone now. I think people have jumped the gun in getting on his back, give the lad a chance to let his boots do the talking. Lets not forget Joey Barton had history of being a bit of a lout and a disruption before coming to Newcastle and now he “loving his football again”. Maybe Ireland is angry, but whats wrong with that? as long as on the pitch it is properly directed. and off the pitch, well, stick and stones n all that

• dave 1961

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

To me it reads I have found happiness where I am and I want to stay, so I will knock £4m off my asking price, as I always wanted to be a Geordie, and I will say what I can to make it happen. he can’t get on a plane and fly hear as that’s one that’s been done.

• Toon Sweden77

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM

• BeeGuy

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM

If what we read from the Frernch magazine is a good translation, then Ireland seems to need mental counseling way more than getting his knee, thigh or whatever right. He comes across as seeing himself as the biggest fish in a big pond. So far he has not found a pond big enough, and the one closest to it (Man City) went sour with managerial changes.

NUFC is a step up from Villa, and one can only hope that Tyneside is a deep enough puddle to make him feel he is willing to expend his full energies on it. Gawd help the locker room if he decides otherwise and starts dissent within the squad.

Ireland may need a shrink to set him right, but if he were in balance, who knows what kind of game he would bring to fixtures. He might remain fantastic, but could over-react and become a “who cares” body.

• ToonDownSouth

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

To be fair to the guy, he seems genuinely pee’d off at the quotes in a statement his agent just released.

He says that he and his family regularly visit Cork, that his girlfriends Dad lives in Birmingham, and that quotes about managers have been hugely exagerated.

I know that we have no reason to trust EITHER the media or the modern day footballer, but given the way our club is usually treated in the press, it would be nice to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

And birmingham really is a dump.

• super bartooon

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Ok the comments on how life in Birmingham,Houllier and Mancini I don’t care about, what bothers me is the comment made about his country and hometown are shocking at the least.
    At the end of the day am not Irish nor am I a fan of Houllier or Mancini am black and white as long as he bleeds for the cause I wouldn’t care less what he has said.
    Stephen comes off a player who lacks in commitment and depends solely on his ability, but ill reserve judgement when he kicks a ball in a black and white shirt.

• The Power Ranger

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Don’t like him.

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM

@The Power Ranger

What an insightful comment! I am so glad you are a fellow NUFC fan. Your well thought-out, substantiated and deliberate comments are a joy to read.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Don’t like it. Computeh sez ner.

• chuck

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Here you go again Ed!
    Good hatchet job on our most recent signing.
    Did you actually translate the article from the French ? or is it from an English tabloid ?
    You make it so obvious which people you like and dislike, at the club,in fact you could be a PR man for Pardew, who apparently can do no wrong ?
    It`s really not helpfull, putting out articles with headlines like,
    “Ireland Hits Out At Houllier and Birmingham- WHO`s NEXT ?”
    Just what are you insinuating here ?
    Perhaps instead of demanding Ireland clarify his statement (which he has done, claiming he was missquoted) you might stop making derogatary statements about the lad without full knowledge of what in fact took place, you being four thousand miles away.
    And to insinuate this may hurt his being signed on a permanent basis and generally giving a dog a bad name, is both uncalled for and not very bright!

• Sav

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM

In Ed’s earlier blog he quotes Ireland as saying about Trappatoni: “I’ve never seen anyone so arrogant,” “I met him once. He was taking calls every two minutes and made me hang around for 15 minutes in his office.”

And about Mancini,”I’ve never seen anyone so arrogant,” “I met him once. He was taking calls every two minutes and made me hang around for 15 minutes in his office.”

Is it just me or is that either a helluva coincidence, a bad case of deja vu, or crap reportage?
    By all means lets slag off our own players if you want but lets have the facts to pan them with. Who writes this stuff ‘SoFoot’? What kind of magazine is that?

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM

ireland will make our season!! he has a point t prove and watch him do it!! ffs can nobody remember wen we signed barton he was ready for jail and look at him now.. one of the best midfielders in the premiership. if u are a fan u bak this boy and show ya support