Pardew – Transfer Business At Newcastle Now In Full Swing

Alan Pardew has given an interview with Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show this morning, and he talked in detail about this summer’s transfer market, and he says some interesting things.

Alan Pardew – transfer business at Newcastle already in full swing

Alan says he wants to bring in four or five players and that the transfer business started at Newcastle just as soon as he arrived last December, and he has a big compliment for head scout Graham Carr, who of course was responsible for bringing in Cheick Tiote to Tyneside last summer.

There’s some hints that graham has other potential stars lined up too.

This is what Alan said this morning:

“This summer is a big summer for us.” “Everybody is going to looking at who we bring in and what types of player.”  “I’d like to think my record in the transfer market is pretty good and that we can get the right type of players for what is a fantastic club.”

“Mike Ashley hasn’t told me how much I’ve got to spend, he made it clear when Andy [Carroll] went that that money will be reinvested in the squad and I have no doubt that it will be.”  “I have no doubt about getting some money; transfers are very, very complicated though.”

“We started the process as soon as I arrived and there’s some great scouting at this club. Graham Carr, who brought in Cheick Tiote has got some fantastic eyes.”  “Our process has started already for next season and we want to get them here as quick as we can because we’re going to bring in four or five players and we need to bed them in as quickly as possible”

“Sometimes there’s five or six clubs involved and with the agent’s manoeuvres, they want to get the best possible deal. Sometimes it takes four or five months to get someone.”  “Our process has started already for next season and we want to get them here as quick as we can because we’re going to bring in four or five players and we need to bed them in as quickly as possible.”

“The loss of Andy Carroll was a blow, in terms of time that I’ve been here. Outside of that, the reaction of players and performances have been top draw, you can only manage with the agenda that you’ve been given.”

“It is a tight financial situation here, they’ve had some previous years where it hasn’t gone very well, especially on that side where signings have come and gone for huge money, so it’s natural for the owner to be a bit cautious.”

“From my side, it’s about getting that enthusiasm back into the owner; outside of those financial restraints my staff have done a great job.” “We only got promoted last year, if we win tomorrow and results go our way we could end up in sixth on Sunday night; it would be a great weekend for us!”

That’s a good interview this morning, and certainly it seems clear where Alan Pardew wants to take the Newcastle side – upward and onward – and we have to say he seems to have done most things right since he arrived at the club.

Alan is  proving a lot of us wrong with his performance so far as the Newcastle manager,  but that’s perfectly okay because the club is doing a lot better, and that’s the only thing that really matters.

Howay The Lads!!

• supermacnumber9

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

hold on mate, I can’t keep up with you – I just mentioned this on your last post! give us time to breath please.
    HWTL

• supermacnumber9

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM

steburnip – last post
    I admire your passion – if Ireland stays of course we will support him, but the first question should be do we keep him? I don’t think so. But if we do good luck to him. HWTL!

• wynsleap

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM

It may be a good interview but parts of it saying “Mike Ashley hasn’t told me how much I’ve got to spend” plus “it’s a tight financial situation here” and particularly “it’s natural for the owner to be a bit cautious” doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence.
    Call me pessimistic if you wish but sounds like the excuses are starting already.
    Would love to be proved wrong.

• Australians love the Toon

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I he is looking at the scouting staff for signings 4 or 5 more like Cheick Tiote 🙂

• Australians love the Toon

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I think*

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM

If we dont expect nothing,We wont be let down.

• nufc_mad

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

so we have been lied too already, as soon as AC was sold in January, we were told that every penny that we got from selling him will be re-invested into the squad, now we are being told that AP does not know how much he will have. i suppose only in the summer we will really know what will happen, i just hope its a good result and we are not let down again.

• Stuart

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I reckon we will have most if not all of that money invested.

AP isnt going to say that though because if other teams know we’re rolling in it all the players we go for will suddenly increase in value by a few million.

Lower expectations now and be pleasantly surprised in the summer, thats what I’m hoping the plan is.

• steburnip

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Why would we not keep Ireland?

He is quality, better than lots of the players in our squad.

He will prove it.

Watch this space

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM

You know what? I think that’s f***g great. Hughton, Keegan et al. all distanced themselves from that part of their job – getting Ashley back on board.

And as for being cautious… you lot are unreal sometimes. What the f do you expect these days? The only teams NOT being cautious are Man City and Chelski. (Before anyone gans on about Liverpool’s spend… THEY DIDN’T SPEND A PENNY)

For the pessimists… why are you so down on something that hasn’t happened yet? Face it, not ALL £35mil was ever going to be spent on transfer fees alone. You must be 10 years old if you ever thought that. The money needed to go into the club for other things.

In terms of Pards not knowing how much he’s got to spend, maybe there will be extra on top of the 35mil?!?!?

F*cking hell. You’s all whinge even when we’re playing well. If I wasn’t a Geordie, and I played for this club, I’d f*ck off cos of your attitudes too.

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Who do you lot think we are? Man City?

I think this:

… is the best thing I’ve heard a manager say in recent years. AP is taking full responsibility of this job.

It’s not about lowering expectations to a stupid level – it’s about tuning into reality every once in a while. We’re actually in a good position at the moment, compared to what may have happened in FFS had still been in control.

Anyway, stop moping about you bunch of pessimistic dullards. It’s football. It’s a soap opera. We can’t change owt. Just get behind the lads. They’re playing their hearts out for us lot at the minute, and performing really well. Let’s just focus on that for once.

• textbook.ie

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:31 AM

wait a minute, what ever happened to that 35million we were promised + the yearly summer budget say 15 million? 50 million doesnt seem like its a tight budget to me. maby he wants more?

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Howay textbook, don’t get carried away like..

• Jarra_Mag

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Does anybody else wonder why we didn’t make the Carroll fee undisclosed so other teams didn’t know how much we might have to spend?

Just a thought….

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Jarra_Mag, Because Ashley, through Pardew has said the money will be invested in the club, no other club knows what we have to spend. I think that was also an Ashley ploy to keep prices down.

• carrollsinger

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Positive news yet people still moan

• jimmymagpie

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Barton and Enrique aren’t convinced he’s getting all the Carroll money, that is why they’re holding. They’ll know more than we do. Pardew admitted this morning that they are back to square one with Barton, as I told you last month. When he was only offered 2 years, he took back his offer to take a pay cut, but I don’t suppose many of you will believe me.

• nufc_mad

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:46 PM

would not call this positive news really, as AP has said, he does not know how much he will get in transfer funds, for all we know he may not get a penny of it. we just have to hope he does

• MacToon

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:00 PM

“………….that money will be reinvested in the squad and I have no doubt that it will be.” “I have no doubt about getting some money”

Certainly alot of fans do have DOUBTS, according to the poll on here about 50% and some players too by the sounds of it.

• dave 1961

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:06 PM

4-5 players in that’s 1 st team then we will start on the kids again, Ashley has only ever taken £1.2m out the club and that was part of a loan he made, and was planned to be returned. One day he might take all he’s owed, but that will be good news as it will only happen if we are successful. and the reason Cheick Tiote was given a better contract was to show that if an agent gets his player in they will be looked after. the club have shown they are a good employer.

• Heinesen

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM

what about the youngster at the club ??

It must be frustrating for them that the fans just think of new players…

Also think we should invest in some new players for nex season…but we need to give the youngster a chance

Which players from the academy or reserve squad has PL potential?

• Toon1992

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I haven’t posted of here for a while , but i think everybody is getting way ahead of themselves!!
    When Andy was sold , Mike said that the money would be reinvested in the squad… that does not mean that we’re gonna go out and spend 35m on transfer fees. I’d be happy if we spent 15-20m on 2 or 3 good players and sing a couple of frees..
    we’re only a couple players off being a top 6/7 side!! happy days for newcastle fans around the world! and ffs stop being so pessimistic! HWTL! 3-1 tommorrow , Jonas , Lovenkrands , Ranger

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:01 PM

“but I don’t suppose many of you will believe me.”

*Tiny little violin*

Get a grip Jimmytoon.

• stuckdownsouth

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I think the ‘No Capital outlay’ statement last summer worked in our favour as people thought we had no money and we got Tiote, Gossling (on free but still good wages), Perch (wish we hadn’t), Campbell (again wish we hadn’t) and Ben Arfa (elongated transfer I know but still paid his wages from Sept).

I do not want us spending £35m for the sake of it. All of us said last year that trhe squad wasn’t big enough/ good enough we’re going to be in a relegation battle. So we buy Perch, Campbell (£2m a year wages) and feel better, until we see them play.
    my point is, making it sound like Pards won’t get any money makes sense. We all go on about Mike Ashley telling us what his doing, why????

We have no control anyway and it just weakens the managers hand.

Pards making it sound like he might not get the money might be the difference in paying £3.5m for a player or £6m.

Also Jose is gone in the summer, forget wanting to see what we do with the Carroll money etc etc he has a short career and wants to play for Spain and win something. Goodluck to him.

Yes we want to win something but this is a Ocean Liner not a speed boat, and we just have to be patient. (yes I know how long we’ve been waiting for a cup, but I mean patient in this current rebuilding project)

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM

supervil and stuckdownsouth – You guys have hit it on the nail. Those thinking that every single penny of the Judas money will go for transfers are deluded. We will spend in the summer I think about 15M and a few freebies. That is all we need really. There is no rush to spend the money either as we have proved before to be able to strike a few bargains. This summer is going to be a positive one U have no doubt. If we can keep Enrique and Barton then even better. If Enrique wants to go then I will be sad to hear the news but we could easily sign Van Aanholt from Chelsea and that’s that position sorted. If Barton doesn’t want to stay then we sign Ireland permanently and we’ve already replaced him. I know he ain’t playing like he used to but as soon as he builds confidence and match practice Ireland will be flying. We just need 4-5 players and we will be a really strong team in all areas. Some of you fans are just never happy and it does make me wonder how we keep getting called the ‘best’ fans in the world with some of you lot. Pardew is making all the right noises and has the players playing great football. We are looking up the table more than down it and still fans complain. FFS get real, we’ve just been promoted!!!!!

• Mag52

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Just a word or two for JP and the rest of the rose coloured glasses brigade out there.
    It only takes a few encouraging comments from Pardew and you’re all falling in love with our cockney chairman.
    Don’t lets forget his cockups since taking over the club, too many to rake over now, with the most recent being the dismissal of a thoroughly decent manager, with the team standing 9th. in the Premiership and only a few weeks after the thrashing of the mackems.
    The fact that we have, so far, maintained our position in the league is, in my humble opinion, far more due to the fantastic team spirit which Chris Hughton fostered, that team spirit which got us out of the championship, than about AP or MA or anyone else at the club.
    If I might sound a pessimist I’m not. I’m a realist.I’d love to see a leopard change it’s spots, but I’m not holding my breath.I’m hoping for the best but am prepared for more kicks in the teeth until a genuine NUFC fan is in charge of the club.