Stephen Ireland Issues Statement – Comments Out Of Context?

Newcastle United’s Stephen Ireland has tried to quickly downplay the comments that have been attributed to him in today’s French magazine So Foot.

Stephen Ireland – how could he be so misquoted?

The 24-year-old in the interview had some derogatory things to say about lots of things and people,  including his home country Ireland, the Ireland National team, the current Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni , the current Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, and the current Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier, and we’ll not even mention the second city – Birmingham.

We think the Newcastle Bigg Market escaped any criticism, but we’re still investigating that one. 😀

Ireland told Sky Sports via a statement issued by his agent this afternoon:

“I’m upset with what has been printed this morning because I feel like I’ve been portrayed in the wrong way,” “I was misquoted and things have been blown way out of proportion. That is the reason why I feel like I needed to say something because the quotes are very unfair.”

“What I said during the interview has been twisted to sound particularly blunt and a lot of what was written about my hometown of Cork – which me and my family visit regularly – was just plain ridiculous.”

“The comments regarding Birmingham were also taken way out of context as I had only been at Villa a few months and didn’t even live there so I have no idea what Birmingham is like to live in and everyone I have met from Birmingham has been nice.”

“My girlfriend’s father is from Birmingham so why would I say that, it’s just crazy.”  “I can only apologize if anyone was offended, but the way the interview was written made me sound very harsh, and I am not that kind of person.”

We’re very glad Stephen has come out and said something – because the reported statements made to the French magazine seem to be completely over the top – and are  certainly embarrassing to the Irishman.

So was he misquoted, or were the comments taken out of context (whatever that means) – or in short – what did he actually say to the magazine?

But just how he could have been completely misquoted with the many statements he is said to have made to the French magazine, is hard to believe.

Stephen must have said some of those things or close to them – so we don’t know what the real truth is, but this is certainly not good for Stephen.

He shouldn’t give any more interviews to the French press – ever! 😀

Ireland is hoping to make his Newcastle United debut against Bolton this weekend, after fully recovering from his injury, but he picked up a slight thigh strain in training yesterday, and may not make it.

If he plays tomorrow, we’ll expect a hat-trick from him now.

• lewytoon

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:19 PM

first 😀

• lewytoon

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

we are playing everton at weekend not bolton :S

• Gilesy

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Stephen gave an excellent interview to the Guardian after he left man city, he was rather critical of various things there but in a sensible mature and controlled manner.He sort of just confirmed what the general public was already thinking about the club, (cash crazy mega egos..). So I believe he can voice his opinion in an intelligent controlled manner which when published in a responsible manner comes across as just that.
    However if you want to shift as many copies of your red top (or French equivalent) you have to sensationalise.
    It’d down to the journalism not the interview.

• Gilesy

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM

*It’s*

• hanzo

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM

hi guys..my very first post here..just curious, how much for a single HOME game ticket? By the way i’m not from England though. 😀

and yeah,i believe it’s a good time for an Everton visit as they’re without their two tailsman, Fellani and Cahill.

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Honestly, Ed m8.

Are you going for the most posts in a day record?

Given that it’s been a relatively slow day… this is madness! Go spend some time with the Wife! Get out of the shed, and spend some time on other things! (Don’t really, I’m being facetious – all I do is read the blog at work)

But, this has not been a day to warrant NINE new articles.

• wynsleap

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Quite frankly Ed I think you’ve taken a rather high handed attitude to this whole thing and have been quick to condemn the lad.
    Really makes him feel welcome!

• steburnip

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Weird as a few post ago u were wanting rid of this quality player!

It’s just typical press always trying to destroy our club!

Nufc

• tynesidetommo

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Nice to know the French hacks are as bad as ours.
    But please Ed. Listen to the medics – no more red meat. Time for a change of topic.

• coolcatcarter89

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

If nothing else, this just taints his rep (in Villas eyes) that little bit more. Shaves a few million off his price, we’re at £5m now, keep being interviewed and ‘misquoted’ Stephen, well done lad. 😉

• dave 1961

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM

one thing jumps out at you this season and that’s the introduction of the 25 man squad, and of Corse its makeup, this is making a squad complex with the maximum over 21’s and foreign players, its shown to hold back the so called big 4 as they can no longer have an unlimited squad as you now have to be a good juggler. This is where having a retailer as an owner as he will see exactly where we strengthen, that’s why 4-5 new squad players, and that’s been my thinking too, although I have not checked on the makeup of our current squad, we have the ability to strengthen both home grown & foreign, and getting thing right if you have say a settled squad but need a left back and you only have the place for a home-grown player, you have to find an under 21 player a home-grown, or get rid of one of your foreign players, buy the player you want, sell the foreign player and replace him with a under 21 player or a home grown. The teams that can manage this will be the one in the second level of the new premier league. And this is why we will go for young players as its now the only way to plan long term. this could make it possible to win the premier some day as its closed the gap at the top.

• supervil

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Not being funny, but everyone was first to jump on him based on a few quotes from a foreign hack… didn’t we all clamour for his signing before he went to Villa?

Yes, yes I think we did.

Let’s just remember he’s our player til the Summer and at least give him a chance to do the talking on the pitch. He’s a good player ‘n all. Anyway, since when could we all pass judgement on a players off-the-field actions?

I’m sure we’ve all said some silly things before….

• Sav

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Bad case of “So(re) Foot”?

• Sav

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Sounds like a magazine footballers should avoid at all costs.

• chuck

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Hey C`mon !
    You just aint gonna give up on this one are you ?
    Let it go !
    Either that or get the original french version and read it yourself, then there should be no doubt.
    What is it about this kid that annoys you so much, cause it`s so obvious.
    Perhaps you should find another subject, you done, done, this one to death.

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM

ED

Your Saying Stephen must have said these things or something close to them

You are jumping on him with that statement in a typical poor Journo fashion

YOU are going against the statement he put out in defense of himself

Wonder how you would feel if you tried to rectify the truth and someone say’s The first article in the French paper must be somewhere near the truth .

GIve Stephen a break .The Papers are constantly printing lies..

Dont Join in with them ED just to get more hits for your Advertisers

Don’t Prostitute yourself for the sake of more hits .

Stick to truthful statements and not libelous comment.

Keep it real.

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Why you all giving Ed grief if you don’t like the fact there are 9 new articles today then simple don’t read them if you don’t like the content then simple don’t read it…

Moaning tw@ts

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Carroll 7-1 to get 1st goal against manure haha yeah right!!!

• lobacka

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM

All this talk of Stephen Ireland really needs to stop, he was talking about what he’s been through and obviously its been made to make him look bad. he has had a hard time at these clubs so whats wrong with him talking about it, and as for his country, I’m Irish and I’d love nothing more than Stephen to play for us but he was bullied by other Irish players when he did play for us so I don’t blame him for not wanting to come back, I know I wouldn’t if I was in that position

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Lobacka

Your comments takes me back to one of my previous posts where i said he seems like that type of team member that nobody likes and if he has been treated badly in the man shiteh team, Villa team and the Ireland team then there has to be something wrong with his personality…

On the other hand I rated him quite highly as a player when at shiteh and would like him to reach that form again here but if he starts to disrupt then he knows where he can go…

We need to see him play before we can properly judge so maybe i jumped the gun a few hours back calling him a prick 😉 everyone makes mistakes

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM

really hope this lad does welland proves all the doubters

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

doubters wrong that is

• G

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Lot’s of people jumping at Ed over this. I say keep it up Ed, after all, it’s your blog, and you can do what you like with it, and quite right too.

• dublin mag steve

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:19 PM

ed i went on record as an irish fan and told everyone on this site stephen would be a bad signing i dont care how good a player he becomes he has been a disruptive influence everywhere hes went just think how many articals have been done on him already and he hasnt even played for us yet hes nothing but a liar hes been caught out too many times before.

• lobacka

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I wouldn’t say ‘wrong’ with his personality just that his personality didn’t fit in with the Irish team at the time who were young and immature(think they got on to him about looking strange and his Cork accent that they all found so funny because its hard to understand) , i think he’s happy for the first time in a long time as his comments about Newcastle life so far have been really positive, i hope he stays fit for the rest of the season so he can properly show us he wants to be here, as the Newcastle team is full of odd personalities he’ll fit right in 🙂

• Thump

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I’m not sure Ireland understands what “context” is…

• davcon22

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Personally I dont give a toss what he says about a third world bankrupt country,a sh*t hole in the midlands,and a couple of Spag bol munchers,as long as he does the business for the Toon

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

well said davconn22

• lewman

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:33 PM

bigoted comments but very true davcon lol.

• chuck

Mar 4, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Thump
    What makes you think so ?

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Steve Ireland reminds me of me. 2 divorces and it wasn’t my fault it was the other’s. If I ever get married and divorced then I#ll have to look at myself. 🙂

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I#ll = I’ll

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

cant belive all the negative comments about ireland. remember 2 yr ago wen he was one of the best mf in premiership. a think ppl forget we are not the team of 10 yr ago playing in europe we are a newly promoted side.. u dont see the likes of westbrom or wolves or any shyt like that getting ireland or ben afra. so instead ov ill praising your team and players that you bang on about loving get behind them and show ya a geordie!!!

and lets give them scouse tarts a good beating the morra

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:26 PM

andyroo, are Evertonians still Scousers?

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM

GG @30 lmfao mate

• DarloGeordie

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM

andyroo

negative feedback can be just as beneficial as positive feedback just coz everyone doesn’t read from the same hymn sheet doesn’t mean you have to question their support for the toon

• lobacka

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:31 PM

davcon22,
    3rd world?

lewman,
    very true?

• andyroo

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM

ya ryt darlo. ireland has had a tought time the past 18 month! but i cant understand that wen we needed sum players in and got ireland a player ov gr8 qaulity ppl knok him b4 he kiks a ball!

• GeordieGerman

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM

andyroo, I’d be chuffed to effin bits if I could have 18 months as tough as Irelands.

• Widowmaker

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

Players represent a club in many ways, and I don’t think his comments will do us any good