Can Newcastle Survive Relegation Scrap – Pardew Thinks So

We noticed a number of readers in the comments immediately started to talk about the possibility of Newcastle being relegated,  as we lost our second league game of the year yesterday against Everton.

Alan Pardew – squad too good to be in relegation scrap

And since that does enter our minds, whenever we lose, and the fact that we are just 6 points above a relegation scrap – heaven forbid – it’s interesting that Alan Pardew has come out today and said he thinks the squad is just too good to be involved in any relegation fight this season.

Now where and when have we heard that one before?

Alan talked about the squad today:

“I think the squad is deep enough. Touch wood we haven’t got any serious injuries,”“I’m not looking over my shoulder at the teams below. I’ve looked at every game as a game that is winnable – and we’ll do the same when we go to Stoke. There’s no lack of belief in the camp or problem that I see, other than we’ve got too many injuries.”

“I have to say that the second half was a fantastic effort from us. I’m proud of that. But that little bit of quality was possibly missing.” “I’m genuinely pleased by the way the squad players played. But at this level you need your best players on the pitch and unfortunately we didn’t have that.”

“I thought when we took the lead we looked comfortable at that stage,” “The left side was causing them a lot of problems but we didn’t lock in when we were attacking and got caught twice. Then it was always going to be an uphill task – especially when Enrique got injured as well.” “It unbalanced us a little bit but you can’t play a game at this level with the quality of players we’ve had missing today.”

“For all the effort and commitment we put in, sometimes that is too many players to lose. But I thought it was a fantastic effort from the team in terms of the character of the players who were introduced.”

Shola did well and showed all his experience up front, and young Shane Ferguson really impressed Pardew with his cool and very skillful play – although we’ve seen that before from the Northern Ireland International, who seems to be coming along just great.

The big difference with the squad we have now and that we had two years ago, is the lads will fight in every game – as they did yesterday. They will not be out-fought by any side, as they were two years ago, when as soon as we went behind two or three players just lost interest and disappeared.

So that is something going for us big time this season, and getting Joey Barton and Jose Enrique back fit again will be a big help for the next game in a couple of weeks.

But we must take something out of the Stoke game, because a second successive defeat will scare us just a little bit too much.

The very last thing we all want to go through this season is another relegation nightmare of two years ago – I still haven’t got over that one – never mind going down again.

And as my wife told me again for the umpteenth time last night – you take this stuff far too seriously – but of course she just doesn’t understand.

Comments very welcome – but please try to make them upbeat – at least for this article. 😀

• GeordieGerman

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Relegation? Ain’t going to happen. Don’t worry be happy. 🙂

• GeordieGerman

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Oh and Ed we are in ninth place in the table with Everton in tenth because of goal difference. Not the other way round as your table shows.

• spanishtoon

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

No no that aint gonna to happen, but i noticed that Pardew is criticising Ranger today (in the sunday sunday sun)…..its risky to pick on players but great if it works http://tinyurl.com/6hznp8j

• GeordieGerman

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:31 PM

spanishtoon, but he does deserve it. Like I said in an earlier blog.

“The new contract was a big mistake. Looks as if he thinks he’s got it in the bag and can relax. He should have been made to work for it. If he thought he could be moved on any day he would work his bollocks off to get a decent contract. Maybe Pardew should send him out into the real world for a few weeks. Let him work with the ground staff or something. Then he’ll know what real life is about and how lucky he is”.

To much to fast.

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM

The squad IS good enough, problem is Pardew isn’t….

• dave 1961

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:32 PM

We can’t score goals & we can’t keep a clean sheet, the ghost’s of 2009 are back, and they are starting to scare me, and it seems Pardew is so keen on Stephen Taylor, he’s quite happy to risk our season, we need 2 more wins and at the moment I can’t see them, I hope we are not the latest team for Pardew to relegate, that great proclamation in January that, best and lovencrands were so good he did not need to buy a forward, could come back to haunt us, that’s what happens when we rely on 1 man, and Barton has a history of injuries. Thankfully this time we might just survive as I’m sure we have 3 worse teams. But will we learn from this self inflicted irony. Let’s drop ranger for his bad attitude, but if Pardew had a brain he does it when we have plenty of cover, safety first you brain dead clown.

• thepict

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:46 PM

We already have more points than we were relegated with. This team is not going down- totally diferent attitude than the 2008 -09 team . End of

• bojous

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:02 PM

One word, three times, results results results, mate!