Newcastle Linked With Top Lille Striker

As well as watching Gervinho at Lille, it seems that Newcastle may also have another striker target in the same French side.

Moussa Sow – Newcastle linked with this striker

We watched the Lille vs Lyon game (1-1) a week ago and were impressed with the strong Lille striker Moussa Sow, who has 17 goals in 25 games for the French side this season.

Sow joined Lille after four seasons at Rennes and has been an instant success, and the 5’11” striker has a number of clubs now watching him, and they are said to include both Newcastle and Sunderland.

Gervinho also looked good in that game, and is certainly very fast  down either wing,  and looked a good player.

Both Gervinho and Sow were in the side that beat Marseilles away over the weekend, by 2-1,  with a last minute winner and the side returned to the top of the French League, ahead of Rennes on goal difference.

Sow turned 25 only last month and was born in Mantes-la-Jolie, France and played twice for the France U21 side, before representing Senegal at full International level, where he has so far got 5 caps.

The striker saw out his four year contract at Rennes before joining Lille last summer on a three year deal as a free agent, and we have no idea how much he would cost, but he will not come cheap, and other top clubs will no doubt be after him.

Other Premier clubs interested are said to include West Ham and Blackburn, so if that’s all the clubs in for him, Newcastle would stand a decent chance of getting the player – if he is indeed a target of the Tyneside club.

He is top of the goal scoring charts in France at the moment.

What do you think of this striker?

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Goal records mean nothing in terms of the premier league,Are we willing to take the risk for someone like him ?.

• G

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Agree with post 1. Top scorer in France means nothing. Anybody remember Guivarch? Top scorer in France, World Cup winner? Completely unfamiliar with the onion bag in the Prem?

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM

This is all getting a bit silly!

Every day a different player on this blog!

Lets report transfers as they happen instead of all this rumour and gossip!

Little less conversation and a little more action!
    ( Elvis ).

• supermacnumber9

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I suppose its fun discussing an endless list of strikers who we could get, and informative in that I’ve never heard of most of them – but I think its getting a bit like ufo sightings as I think if I invented a name and record someone who say he’s rubbish and someone else that he’s a bargain on a free!
    meanwhile I’m still worried about the wolves game!

G @ 2 – did you see my reply yesterday about dennis law?

• G

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM

@ Yeah, at post 4. Picked up on it late last night. Thanks for clarifying, at the time, I didn’t really see where you were going with that one.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM

NEWEXPATMAGPIE – is Elvis coming here? there are reliable reports that he was seen last week in the chip shop in Blaydon!

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Silly ? we have scouts watching theirs players.

• repo

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Lets stay in the prem league 1st before we even look at other players cause ifd we dont pick up a couple of wins we are good as down tbh..

• G

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I don’t think it’s that bad repo. Yes, it’s possible, but I look at the teams around us and I feel quietly confident that we should finish about where we are now. You are right of course to be cautious, as at this stage of the season, every point matters twice as much for every team as they are either battling for a Euro spot, or avoiding the drop.

• dak76

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Would rather we bought someone with prem record of scoring, ie: Sturridge, 10m + should do the trick

• Stuart

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Don’t read it if you dont want to expatmagpie.

I enjoy all the rumours and banter, keeps me entertained between matchdays.

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

So, a good player in the french league means nothing in the prem? And guivarch is a fair example. Good job arsenal never signed thiery henry or robert pires then isn’t it…oh, hang on a min…

• Drona

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Knowing us, we’ll be linked with top class strikers and we’ll end up getting Carlton Cole or Peter Crouch

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I enjoy the fact the fools who come on this blog site and attack each other overt their own opinions ! Funny as :).

• lewman

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

i see your point markaccus even though henry came from milan, maybe its a good job we didnt sign zidane when we had the chance.

• dawid182

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

G! There are exceptions! Didier Drogba, its says something? or Thierry Henry

• GeordieGerman

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:04 AM

repo, hope someone in your family has hid the razorblades.

How the hell are the scum in the running? the’re broke… ! Quinny was at some social club in South Shields last night begging for bums on seats and that’s only the start of his begging tour. Anyway they are knackered when all their loanies go back to their clubs.

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Oh hang on a minute,Are you comparing Moussa Sow to the great Thiery Henry ?.Plus we not like a club Arsenal,We couldn’t take chance on players like Moussa Sow without big money spend in the summer.

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM

@ ciaran. At least they have come on with an opinion, instead of just simply calling everyone a fool and making no contribution to the discussion.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Ciaran Thomas, and what about that player thingy majig? Plays for Newcastle. Oh yeah, Ben Arfa?

• dawid182

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

i just said that, there is a man, who was good in France and England too

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM

My point is that in general french players do ok in the prem. Ginola, cantona, anelka, le boef. We even got a couple of good seasons from robert until he became lazy.

• connor_nufc

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Hes.looks a good player 17 goals in 25 games u cant ignore that recored even if its only the french league

• supermacnumber9

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Ciaran Thomas – there is a lot of good natured banter on this site, not all of it 100% serious – just like a good cut and thrust session down the pub – no one is attacking fellow geordies for their opinions and I hope you don’t think people are fools! I get a laugh, some fun and learn things – long may it last!

• lewman

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

nasri,anelka,viera,saha,malouda,evra,desailly,gallas,distin,kaboul and n’zogbia all seem to have done ok aswell

• supermacnumber9

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Markaccus @ 19 – agreed

mind you, Elvis in Blaydon is as reliable as all those reports of players spotted at newcastle airport during the transfer window!
    HWTL

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Steed malbranque
    Essien came from the french league I think. Desaily (spell check) the list is long

• supermacnumber9

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

lewman – saha, distin, n’zog – all played in black & white but we didn’t keep them

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

@supermac, yes, apparently elvis was waiting in quarantine for his horse to be cleared. Shergar I believe his name was 😀

• Snubs

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Ciaran Thomas good point. Gervinho and Moussa will be excellent signings and will bolster our squad. They both have speed and flair and will add a bit of skill to the squad. I actually cannot wait till the summer!

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

And its all gone quiet over there -points at ciaran-

• Snubs

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I agreed with his post where people attack peoples opinions on this site haha please don’t attack me now!!:d

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

@snubs. What a load of b*ll*cks. Just kidding :D.

• Derka

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I thought the same,Markaccus.

• Snubs

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Really?! Don’t think your banter will be appreciated in the PL. 😉

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Nah, our banter is un-proven at premiership level and therefore no good :s

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Not at all,Markaccus.I dont spend my time always updating this website,Like you said It is my opinion ! Like you have your opinion. I would rather not waste my time arguing with you over the internet,have a nice day.

• Markaccus

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Its not a case of opinion pal. You called everyone a fool, and you do it on the internet simply because you’d get slapped if you did it in the street or in the pub, or at cubs in your case. I did not attack any opinion, I simply disagreed with one, and put my reasons why in view. Its called a discusion.

• Shot Bru

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Moussa Sow might be a one season wonder in France and earn a big money move to England…plays for a team which creates loads of chances and he misses loads…too much of a risk….at least the scout are looking in the right direction.

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

I didn’t call everyone a fool,I called the Users who come on this Blog site and abuse other users because their didn’t agree with their opinion. To twist my words,you must feel like a hero. As Winston Churchill said “Some people’s idea of [free speech] is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage.”