Leon Best – I Could Have Scored A Lot More Than Just Six Goals

Leon Best is getting some good publicity these days, and he deserves it for becoming Newcastle’s  major goal-scorer since Andy Carroll left Tyneside for Merseyside.

Leon Best – 6 goals in 12 total appearances

And Leon has hardly had the luck as he’s had a couple of good goals disallowed and gone so close on other occasions, and he;s really starting to look the part for Newcastle with another good goal against Everton last Saturday.

And Leon even had another one disallowed in the second half that would have god Newcastle another vital point.

Arsenal’s Robin Van Persie has 10 goals this year so Leon is not too far behind with 6 goals, and he could have had more if decisions hadn’t gone against him.

This is what Leon told the official site today:

“It’s a funny game and I’m privileged to be behind someone like Van Persie, who has been in amazing form,” “It gives me a lot of confidence and belief in myself to just carry on striking.””I could have even more goals.”

“I’ve had a goal that was perfectly alright disallowed against Arsenal, a penalty at Arsenal, an effort which was only stopped from going in by a great block from David Wheater against Bolton.”

“And obviously my header against Everton disallowed for a supposed push, which was very clever play by Phil Jagielka.” “I said to him afterwards that I didn’t touch him and he gave me the ‘experience’ shout! It was very, very good defending from him.”

“So that could be nine goals, and I definitely should be on seven with the Arsenal one which was chalked off, but those things happen in football.”  “I do feel like I’m getting chances in every game.”

“Obviously, I’m in the Premiership and it’s a matter of scoring with as few chances as I can and taking each chance that I can.”  “That will come with experience and I’m working on my finishing every day in training, so hopefully I can continue scoring and taking my chances as they come.”

“I think the hat-trick set me up nicely and gave me the confidence and the belief in myself that I needed,” said the 24-year-old, who expects to be fit for Newcastle’s game at Stoke despite picking up a knock to his calf against Everton.”

“Last year, it was hard coming in. There were a lot of strikers in front of me and they were scoring, so maybe if I didn’t take a chance straight away it would play on my mind a bit more than I would at the moment.”

“Now I’m just very confident. I’m loving playing and I’m loving scoring at the minute – and I believe I can keep doing that.”

Leon asked for his chance from Alan Pardew and we’ll never forget the performance he gave in early January on his first start in the Premier League, and that hat-trick against West Ham in the 5-0 win, which was crustal at the time for the Magpies.

Kevin Nolan had always said that Newcastle fans didn’t know Leon, and that he had worked his socks off to overcome his injuries since he’s been on Tyneside, and Kevin seems to have been right because Leon’s now doing a good job for Newcastle, there’s little doubt about that.

And we also have to remember that Leon, who was born in Nottingham,  is still  just 24, and can still improve his game, and he is a hard and willing worker in training.

And if Leon can keep scoring those goals in the last 9 games, he’s got 6 goals in 11 appearances and 10 starts so far, he will have a future on Tyneside, and that’s exactly what he wants.

Keep scoring those goals Leon – please.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:09 PM

you have the chance of a lifetime son – take it, its up to you, hero or zero – good luck we are all behind you
    HWTL

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

When he admits “I SHOULD have scored more goals”, the transformation to the finished article will be just about complete.

• Ciaran Thomas

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Howay the Leon Best ! I cant wait for next season with Leon Best leading the line for us :D.

• gorskino10

Mar 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Still funny he has more goals (nearly double) than Ameobi, he is defently preditory striker,shame he doesnt make any goals for others but not a bad finisher.

• JP...from The Rock

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Leon Best is a good finisher and the best we have at the club now. He’s right when he compares himself to Van Persie as he’s really unlucky not to be with the same goals to game ratio than him. Best has impressed me and if he could have a quality strike partner I think he could become our 20 goal a season striker. He’s improving in every game and his movement is very good also. He has to become slightly more aware of straying offside but he’s still only 24 years old and getting better with every game. It’s extremely frustrating that Ranger doesn’t have the same commitment as Best as these two together would be a real handful to any defense.

• dave 1961

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

best has a problem keeping himself on side its a problem that if he overcomes he could become a more complete player.

• Davies

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Glad he’s finding his feet. I was one of many thinking we’d flog him for tuppence in the summer. Needless to say, I’m fairly keen to keep hold of him now.

• cupiddstunt

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Well done gorskin I see you are still able to find the negative in a developing player, how’s your cup is it still half empty?????

Best is a predator at the moment and see’s chances to score, whereas Ameobi is the more rounded striker scores less but brings more players into the game around him. Both are excellent assets to the club.

Best may well develop into the more rounded player but if he just stays a goal scoring predator then I for one will be happy as long as he is partnered up with the right support I feel he will do ok for us.

• chuck

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Yeah the guys doing good, he should have scored an additional two goals, but bad decicions by the ref. dissallowed them.
    At this rate he would be right up there with the leagues top scorers.
    What puzzles me is why do so many Newcastle fans not rate him or give him any credit ?
    Guy works hard for the side, scores then gets no credit ?
    What else does he have to do ?

• max

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM

gud luck

• olivant

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Keeping in mind that he has only played regularly since january, he is a fine goalscorer. Maby not top of the pops, but over a whole season he should get 15-20 goals, and that is fine.

• spanishtoon

Mar 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM

spine tingling! http://www.nufcnews.com/?p=216 how i wish I could have been there too….

• Brutooon

Mar 10, 2011 at 12:15 AM

currently he score 6, but i think he shud score 10-12 goals (considering his chances)