Focus On Newcastle Youngsters – 16 Year-Old Remi Streete

We had profiled Remi Streete back in March of 2010,  when he was the very first winner of the Jack Hixon award, and he was presented with the award by the Newcastle legend Alan Shearer.

Remi Streete – receiving the Jack Hixon award last March

At that time the then 15 year-old Streete was already being forecast as a star of the future at the Newcastle club, and Remi played for the Newcastle Reserve side in their great 2-1 win against Arsenal earlier this week.

Remi was born in South Shields back in November of 1994, and is now just 16 years old, but looked an excellent player in the game against Arsenal, and he’s certainly one to watch for Newcastle supporters.

The 16-year-old 6′ tall center-back has made rapid progress since winning the Jack Hixon award, and has  risen from the Academy team to the Peter Beardsley Reserve side.

The Evening Chronicle is reporting today that Remi won the Wor Jackie award last March – but that’s not correct – it was won by Australian Brad Inman, and Remi won the Jack Hixon award.

Alan Pardew will have been impressed with Remi’s display,  and he’s obviously a local lad who could have a huge future on Tyneside, and follow his idol – another local lad Steven Taylor – through the ranks at Newcastle.

And stay at the club too!!

Remi told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I just want to try and get a regular place in the Reserve team, and hopefully next season I can be playing every game at reserve- team level.”

“I played in a training game at St James’ Park once about three years ago, but my first game was against Grimsby in the FA Youth Cup a couple of months ago, and we won that.”

“It was good to play at St James’ again, and that’s something that I will be aiming to do more of in the future.” “There have been quite a few injuries this season.” “The two centre-backs are out, so I’ve got my chance.”

“It was only my second game, and I thought I did well, but I just need to keep working hard.” “It was a good game.” “We were 1-0 up, and obviously disappointed to give the lead away.” “We managed to get it back in the last couple of minutes.”

“We keep getting told to keep going, so that’s just what we did. It was good.” “I made my debut at Bolton, but to play against a team like Arsenal was good.”

“I learned a lot of things from it, and hopefully I’ll take them into future games.”

We’ll keep an eye on this youngster, but don’t be surprised if he comes through the ranks at Newcastle a lot quicker than you may think.

We hope so anyway, because he’s very highly regarded by the Newcastle coaching staff.

• oldbobaycliffe

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM

stood last march with A.S he looked the same height so he must be a big lad for his age

• gorskino10

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Brad and This kid look promising, Remi has the frame of a strong,tall commanding defender lets hope his concentration is higher than say Titus Bramble who concentration was diabolical.

I mean things are looking promising from our youth, i mean we did get to Semi Final and lost to the winners (Chelsea) in Youth Cup

Brad Inman/Haris Vuckic/Tavinier/Yven Moyo/Phil Airey/Adam Campbell etc.. hopefully we can buy some youngsters for our acadamy, a player like David Silva type of player would be nice if we could get some Spanish Youth players.

• gorskino10

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Also forgot Ranger/Krul/Kadar/Fergusson 🙂

• stevep

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM

whatever happened to aaron spear – he arrived in a fanfare of the next big thing and seems to have gone totally missing

• G

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Aaron Spear is still listed in the Reserve squad, but with no appearances at either Reserve or Under 18. Has he been injured all season?

• Geordiedoonsooth

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:19 PM

G I think you are wrong there mate Spear played in the Youth Cup for th U18 and has also played for the reserves this season he’s only 17 plenty of time

• tcbelfast

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:25 PM

keep us posted ed on more of the youth squad….its good to know wots happening in the reserves and youth squads etc.
    hopefully all the young lads get a chance t o prove themselves at some stage.
    hwtl!!

• G

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM

@ post 6, thanks for the update. Nowt on the squad list on site that I saw, and I must confess it’s been a while since I heard the name.

• Major_Tom

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Best player on the park by a million miles on Wednesday; the goal wasn’t his fault.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Good site for the club which is run by fans is http://www.nufc.com/ They give regular updates & reports on all NUFC teams.

• G

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Yeah, should have checked .com, but instead I stupidly went to Geordies.net… doh!

• TheMags

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:45 PM

I’ve played against remie so maney times,, he my age and I used to play against him when he played for boldon colts,, he’s now been at newcastle for a few years and my god he’s improved loads last time I played newcastle he was centre back and our strikers couldn’t get near him,, top player but BIG teams such as man.u want him already

• davybtoon

Mar 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM

remi streete n dan leadbitter were awsome at centre half on wednesday the future is very bright with all the youngsters we have comin through

• Brutooon

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM

let him play with the reserves with campbell, can be a good players

• Sav