Shane Ferguson Destined To Become Top Player On Tyneside

One question about the game at Stoke City next Saturday, is that if Jose Enrique doesn’t make it because of his hamstring injury, will Alan Pardew put his faith in young Shane Ferguson?

Shane Ferguson challenging Daniel Sturridge

Shane has never let the Newcastle first team down, and indeed when he’s played for Newcastle he’s looked a very accomplished left back, with just a great left foot, and his future looks very bright on Tyneside.

With Alan Pardew willing to send the youngsters out on loan this season to get first team games, Shane would have been an obvious choice, and there are lots of Championship clubs said to be queuing up to take the Northern Ireland International on loan.

But with Jose Enrique now a major doubt for the weekend visit to Stoke, Alan can hardly afford to send the youngster out on  loan right now, and the loan deadline is at the end of this month, so Shane could still see himself out on loan this season.

If Alan prefers players playing out of position this Saturday at left back, like Steven Taylor, Danny Simpson or James Perch, then he had better send the lad out on loan because the games will give him some great experience.

An upbeat Shane Ferguson told the Evening Chronicle today:

“At the minute because of injuries, it’s hard for me to go out on loan.” “They need back-up in case anyone else gets injured.” “I’m happy to be here, and to keep impressing and showing the manager what I can do.”

“I’ve just got to keep my fitness up and keep impressing.” “I’m just trying to do well for the Under-21s, and hopefully I can get recognized for the senior squad.”

“I just have to keep working hard, and hopefully they’ll be watching and I’ll get my chance.” “The phone hasn’t stopped ringing since I came off in the match against Everton. It’s been great.”

Shane Ferguson was originally a left winger and can certainly cross  a ball, as we all saw in the game at Stamford Bridge earlier this seaosn, and when he signed on for Newcastle in July of 2009 on a three year professional deal, some top clubs were after the youngster, but he chose to stay on Tyenside.

Shane continued:

“When I first came over I played left wing, but one pre-season the left-back got injured.” “I tried it there, and I’ve been learning the game at left-back.”

“We’ll see how it goes. The manager is telling me every day I need a steak and milk diet.” “I just have to put a couple more stone on!”

We think that Shane may end up playing out on the left wing for Newcastle, where his frail frame seems better suited, but of course Alan Pardew is trying to build the lad up, but when you’ve got great skills like Shane has – it doesn’t matter too much if your not well built.  Skill will always beat the rough play of lesser skilled players.

We have great hopes that Shane can become a top player at Newcastle – be it at left-back or out on the left wing – he’s got one terrific left foot – that’s for sure.

• Toonboy_84

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Alright guys. Completely off topic here but………..

Haven’t been to SJP for a couple of years. Looking to buy 4 tickets for the Wolves game. I understand I have to pay for the 12th man membership but how many tickets will this let me buy? Will I have to get someone else to sign up as well to be able to buy 4 tickets? Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan

HWTL

• batty

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM

you will able be too get them on the day

• chuck

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Looks as if he can play anywhere on the left side,
    @ LB, LM or LW .
    His only weakness is in upper body strength, having the build of a sixteen year old.
    With the right diet (certainly not meat and milk as suggested by Pardew) there are supliments and high protien foods, mainly used by body builders that will increase body mass and muscle, when taken while undergoing weight training.
    The real question is, why are we relying on a skinny kid as backup anymore than a thirty four year old striker or second tier players ?
    Listen we are not safe yet !
    Remember what happened at the same time two seasons ago .

• MykToonFan

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

The bit about steak and milk is an old joke…

• Burni

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM

toon boy….. you dont have to pay for twelfth man, you just need to register on nufc.co.uk I think they limit the amount of tickets you can get for a while but theres no harm in trying.

I really rate Ferguson (seen him loads for the reserves) and watching him in the chelsea match earlier in the season was excellent but I feel like Im missing a trick with the Everton game…… he was pants…. he gave the ball away often and was NOT tracking back, I genuinely would rather have simpson played out of position in LB and perch RB if we HAVE to play Ferguson stick him LW coz he’s left footed and Jonas RW ….. self explanitory.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM

What length contract is Ferguson on? Ashley should sign him to a long-term contract quick so he can sell him for big money. Isn’t that the standard strategy now? Oh and make sure to offer him a poor wage so he wants to leave as soon as possible.

• AndyMac

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Hate to say it but I agree with Burni. Fergie, for all his undoubted promise, was left wanting on more than one occasion against Everton when he was guilty of ball watching both against Saha and later when Coleman almost scored. Must learn quickly to stick with his man and not get drawn by the run of play.

Having said that he’s the best option for LB (including Perch) at the moment if Jose isnt playing.

However the defence needs to shift up a gear or two and get much tighter against their opponents, pressurising them earlier rather than waiting until they’re in our box. No diving in recklessly just focus on the ball and time the challenge.

• Robby Bobson

Mar 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Well seeing as its stoke its got to be tayls right back and simmo left back. Simpson is deceivingly good in the air and we need 4 defenders who can header against Stoke.

• Brutooon

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Shane Ferguson need

1) Built more muscle, he is too skinny.

2) Improve his crosses, well he is still a young lad. plenty of time to learn 🙂

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:44 AM

He is not a Prem class player – period – so stop kidding. So if he’s to be a ‘top Toon player’ we need to drop a division or two.