I Get No Credit For Signing Nolan Because I’m A Cockney

It seems that Alan Pardew isn’t the only Newcastle manager who blows his own trumpet.

Joe Kinnear – while at Newcastle

For some strange reason, there’s an interview with former Newcastle manager Joe Kinnear, in the Newcastle Journal this morning, and Joe goes into the self promotion game himself.

This is what Joe said today, starting with why he wanted to sell Charles N’Zogbia to Wigan, and  whom he unfortunately had called Charles  N’Somnia to the press:

“I wanted to sell N’Zogbia, because I didn’t get on with him, I didn’t think he was a fighter,”“I got £8M for him and it was me who brought in Kevin Nolan for £4Mm.”

“He was Newcastle’s player of the year last year but do not I get any credit for signing him? No, because I’m a cockney.”

“The trouble was, I had to generate my own money. When the £8m was offered by Brucey I knew I had to get Nolan, then I got Løvenkrands. He was a free. With his experience I thought he would be great to come off the bench for us.”

In a recent poll we had on whether readers wanted Charles N’Zogbia back on Tyneside this summer, 62% said no, 30% said yes and 8% were undecided.

Kevin Nolan has turned out to be one of Newcastle best buys, and is now the captain, although he struggled in his first six months on Tyneside.

But it’s always much harder when you are transferred in January, because you have to hit the ground running, and if you move in the summer, you usually have a pre-season to get used to things at the new club.

Joe signed Kevin quickly towards the end of January, 2009, when he found out that Joey Barton would be out a few months with a foot injury.

Peter Lovenkrands has done quite well on Tyneside, but has become a bit of a fringe player this season until Andy Carroll left, but in his 64 appearances for the club so far, he has a good 23 goals – not too bad for a free transfer.

And it seems Joe Kinnear was not too happy with Steve Bruce’s comments yesterday, about a failed bid for Andy Carroll,  coming when Steve was Wigan manager.

The current Sunderland manager claimed yesterday that Wigan had offered £2.5M for the Gateshead-born striker in January of 2009, but were quoted £4.5M, but Joe says that  simply wasn’t true:.

“The only conversation I had with Bruce was over N’Zogbia,”  “He said he phoned me on the Monday. I never had a conversation with any manager about Andy Carroll.”

“Andy Carroll was a kid I’d given his debut to. Him and Shola Ameobi were going to be my strikers.” “Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias had no intentions of selling him at any stage.”

“When Chrissy Hughton put him in the team Andy was able to step up a level and did fantastically well. Whether he is trying to talk himself up or not, I don’t know. But to say he only offered £2.5M, it makes him look stupid.”

“For me to let Andy go to Wigan, he would have had to sell his entire team, and then you would have had to pay Andy a fortune just to go to Wigan.” “I think Andy had bigger options in his head even then.”

Things were never boring at Newcastle under Joe Kinnear, and Newcastle fans will have mixed feelings about the Irishman, and his short tenure on Tyneside, when he actively managed the club from late September, 2008 through mid February 2009.

In Joe’s 26 games in charge of Newcastle, the Magpies won 5, drew 10, and lost 11 for a poor win average of just 19.2%. But of course Newcastle were already fighting relegation when Joe was brought in.

Our view on Joe, was that it was always hard to criticize the man, because he gave everything he had (and more) while he was at the club, and he always waxed lyrical about what a great club Newcastle was.

He almost lost his life with the passion he showed while he was on Tyneside, and of course he was under some considerable stress while Newcastle were in their relegation battle.

We always thought that if Joe hadn’t  suffered his rather serious heart problems in February of 2009, just before the game at WBA on Saturday, 7th February, Newcastle would have avoided relegation rather easily.

• Steve_48

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:39 AM

WTH is he doing putting in his fat mockney oar again?

Let sleeping dogs lie, he was a sh*te manager and was Ca$hley’s muppet, all happy mockneys together.

Best forgotten.

• Jarra Mag

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM

He’s a bit wide of the mark. He has claimed to be Irish before – wasn’t he born in Dublin anyway? To forget your heritage on St Patrick’s day and now claim to be a Cockney – not and adopted one, but a real one, is evidence to me that the man is talking out of his arse, or the bottom of a bottle.

He is clearly wrong about one thing though – I wouldn’t give him credit for ANYTHING because he’s a cockney, I wouldn’t limit it to getting credit for signing Nolan. Ed, you are a bit soft on the fat get – we were not in a relegation battle when he joined the club in September, but during his brief tenure, HE put us into a relegation battle through his actions, incompetence and poor management skills. He was comfortably 10 years past his sell by date – and he was only lower league level anyway.

Kinnear is and was just another Cockney tosser who collectively see us as a blank cheque. He was out of the game for years before joined us, it was a joke appointment and the results he obtained showed that. He alienated the playing staff – such as the Zogbia and Given – had he been a better man manager, he could have kept them on board. We only went down by one point – and I blame Kinnear for this 100%. Unless his brief was to cash in on players from up above…..
    He’s no more than rent-a-gob and I hope he didn’t get paid for his interview. For the avoidance of doubt – until my dying day, I despise anything that walks, talks or sounds like a cockney and our club [OUR club Mr Cashley, IT WILL NEVER BE YOURS] is defiled by their involvement. My only concession is to playing staff. Kinnear was a joke, is a joke. Irish one minute, claiming to be a cockney the next. Not liked, not wanted, not missed, an irrelevance. Good riddance. I’m still furious about the relegation – and Kinnear put us down. Hope he sobers up soon.

• shearermania

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM

dont like the negativity there is everywhere at the moment regarding our club….
    we are only 5 points from oblivion…..if there ever was a moment where we need 3 points – its tomorrow……come on lads

• supermacnumber9

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM

“Newcastle fans will have mixed feelings about the Irishman” ??? disaster or total disaster I suppose – forget him! as shearermania says its the rest of the season that matters not ancient history
    we MUST get a minimum of 4 points fron stoke & wolves and no excuses!
    stoke 0 NUFC 2
    NUFC 3 wolves 0
    HWTL

• Sav

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

What a whinger! Hughton was a cockney (well a Londoner) and got plenty credit. Kinnear has nothing to be bitter towards the Geordies about. It was his illness that forced his retirement and this is typical crap-stirring by a columnist whose significant days are behind him. Sorry, Joe, but your most memorable effort was the foul-mouthed rant which did us few favours. Bobby Robson signed N’Zog and managed him fine and with respect, if he was good enough for him, he should have been good enough for JFK.

• supervil

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:19 PM

“I Get No Credit For Signing Nolan Because I’m A Cockney”

Correct. Now ffffffff off back to Landaan.

• HarryWorth

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM

“We were on a good run of form when I took ill. It looked like staying up was going to be a doddle.”- Joe Kinnear June 2009,

JFKs last 8 results –

Wigan (A) lost 2-1

Liverpool (H) lost 5-1

Hull (FAC R3) (A) drew 0-0

West Ham (H) drew 2-2

Hull (H) (FAC R3 Replay) lost 1-0

Blackburn (A) lost 3-0

Man City (A) lost 2-1

Sunderland (H) drew 1-1

NUFF SAID!

• Steve_48

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Think there’s a common thread here, just struggling to put my finer on it…

• PoolieToon

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Why is everybody fighting for the credit of noticing Carroll? Not that he has anything to do with us and I find it quite insulting that Kinnear will say this now in a local paper when the lad is a Liverpool player.
    What a pack of complete glory seeking liars Brucey and Kinnear are. Joe didn’t want Shola and Andy as his strikers, he had no choice as the joke pairing of Owen and Oba didnt have 90 minutes between them and to breadbun face Brucey, I dont thing anybody heard the rhumors of Andy going to Wigan I mean my sides are still intact.

• steve1980

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Kinnear was in charge for 19 games and during that period won 4, drew 6 and lost 9 (not including the win at WBA where he was taken in on the morning). Point is, he really didn’t do to badly. He was unlucky in a couple of those games that ended draws, particularly Wigan at home, Martins scored a screamer to seemingly win it at 2 – 1, then Habib fucking Beye heads behind with Given ready to collect in injury for inevitably Titus to equalise. If you want to look at a real horror show of results, look at the Hughton period, followed by the unmitigated disaster that was Shearer/Dowie. Watching big Al in his best Top Man suit with plastersine faced muppet ID with his ear piece in looking clueless was truly painful viewing, with the exception of the stupendous home game against Boro. JFK was a rent a gob Southern tosser and i always got the impression he was lightly toasted or medicated up when speaking to the press, but he didn’t do a particularly rotten job. And i guess we do have to thank him for Nolan – £4m for a midfielder who’se banged in 29 goals for NUFC, 11 at the top level, utter bargain. Could’ve done without Ryan Taylor mind you…

• steve1980

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Wasn’t at all excited about Nolan when he signed, he’d looked washed up in his latter days at Bolton, where he’d been a great player admittadely. But in retrospect, £4m for a midfielder who’se banged in 29 goals for this club is amazing business, total bargain. Could’ve done without Ryan Taylor mind you.

As for JFK, 19 games, 4 won, 6 drawn, 9 lost, not bad, not great. Unlucky in some, the Wigan game springs to mind, 2 – 1 after a Martins stunner, Beye heads behind needlessly with Given set to collect in injury time, concede, Bramble, aaaarrrgghh!

He often seemed under the influence of alcohol and/or medication, but if you want a real horror show, then look to the latter half of the season, Hughton followed by Shearer & Dowie. Big Al in his best Top Man suit and clueless muppet Dowie with his ear piece was truly painful to watch, stupendous Boro victory aside.

• lloydie780

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:18 PM

In my opinon we would have been better off keeping Nzogbia and not getting Ryan Taylor or Nolan at this point. Long term we have a better deal but at that moment in time i feel has JFK not totally ripped our player apart behind the scenes and in public then we would have had alot better chance of staying up than we did after those 2 arrived. Funny as well when we went down there were games we had Martins, Guthrie, Taylor and Smith on the wings and we sold one of our two out and 0ut wingers. . . . .JFK- complete gonk.

• Rotonda heights

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

being a cockney is too easy an excuse .

Roeder and hughton are.

basically he was a dark age long ball manager who was on the sick way before he got to us due to being obese and having an unhealthy lifestyle.

Another of these blame everyone else but me types and as far removed from having the class of SBR as you could get.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM

So we didn’t give Kinnear any credit because he’s a cockney. We really hated Malcolm MacDonald, Les Ferdinand, Robert Lee, Glen Roeder & Chris Hughton didn’t we. What a sad man he is and he didn’t give Carroll his debut Roeder did.

• GeordieTwo

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM

JFK you get no credit because you were a foul-mouthed idiot not because you think you are a Cockney (actually born in Ireland). No wonder we dumped you. Stay out of football and stay healthy.

• Thump

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Have another heart attack you foul mouthed get.

• bojous

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM

It wasn’t the fact that you are Cockney (if you are) but it was due to the fact that you were S**te!