Cheick Tiote – I Am Very Settled At Newcastle

Newcastle fans may be wondering how many of our best players the club will lose in the summer.

Cheick Tiote – famous photo after scoring fantastic equalizer against Arsenal

If we are to lose any of them, the chances are probably highest that left-back Jose Enrique will want to move on, since we keep hearing news about AC Milan being interested and are even talking with Jose’s agent.

And the local Newcastle press is reporting that privately Newcastle have given up on trying to keep Jose on Tyneside.  We don’t want to lose Jose, but if we he does want to move on, then so be it.

We have to think there’s a good chance of Joey Barton staying on Tyneside, and we also half expect Cheick Tiote to be going nowhere in  the summer, as this lad seems very happy at  Newcastle.

And of course he’s just signed his massive new contract, although we all know that is no barrier to a player leaving the club.

Cheick talked about his new contract today:

“When I signed my new contract my family were very happy for me. They watch me all of the time. Newcastle were the team that gave me a chance to play in England and I am very settled here.”

“I am not surprised they wanted me to sign a long-term deal because I have done well here, had I not done well they would not have wanted to keep me.”  “I enjoy it here. The club has good ambitions. I would not have signed if I did not think the club had a bright future.”

“I am a Newcastle player and I will always do my best for this club. The most important thing is that this club continues to move forward and tries to challenge the top teams in the next few years.”

“That is what I want. Obviously if you want to compete with Chelsea, Man U then you have to strengthen. I know the fans would love this club to get back in to Europe and I would love to do that too, so would all of the players.”

We often think that players like Cheick were born to play at a club like Newcastle,  because it’s such a win-win on both  sides.

It’s a huge win for Newcastle because the club picked the lad up for peanuts, and he’s becoming a world class player on Tyneside.

And it’s a win for Cheick, because he has overcome rank poverty in his home country, and many other barriers no doubt, to become the big success he is today.

We are  proud of this man, and love that he’s playing at Newcastle.

• andre29

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Stoke vs NEWCASTLE veetle and flash stream on http://stjamesstream.blogspot.com/

• jarnytoon

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Ed,

I’ve got to say 1st that I really enjoy reading your blogs, but I’m getting a lil short with this pessimism surrounding the great NUFC. You say that players could leave for pastures new right, well surely they would have done that last season when we were down a division?! We are smack bang in the middle of the premier league which is the best we’ve been placed for a long while (excluding this season)! If enrique wants to leave then f**k him, I only want players who will proudly weat the NUFC shirt. If carroll wanted more money f**k him. We’ll keep the best part of our team and will add to it in the summer which I am relishing! The toon are on the up no matter were we finish as long as we finish in this division :)!

• aussietoonfan

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Hi all from Down Under. First post and first year watching the boys and extremely proud of what I’ve witnessed thus far. Have to say too bloody right jarnytoon. If you have pride stay at St James, if you desire cash then take off the shirt for someone who believes in the club. The shirt is not wearable by just any Tom, Dick or Harry. C’mon the Toooooonnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!

• wynsleap

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Tiote has been a breath of fresh air to the Toon, both on the field of play and his attitude to the club and the fans.
    We could do with another half dozen just like him.

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Always thought that Steve Harper was the worst keeper at Newcastle ..He looks the part but he’s a knacker. Drop him . He is really mediocre

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Steve Harper looks like a keeper, walks like a Keeper, and plays like a gamekeeper .

HE will never pull off spectacular saves to save a game .

The way he Played agains Stoke today was a disgrace , Cant blame the defence every time

IM telling you now he Looks Like A keeper
    but he is just a poor imitation .

KRUL please.

• ONLINE GUY

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Harper cant even pull off the steady saves now…
    great bloke and all that but hes got to be dropped.