Is Newcastle’s Danny Guthrie Staying Or Going?

With Danny Guthrie not getting many games under Alan Pardew, we were even thinking he may be let go in the summer.

Danny Guthrie – oh no – I have to back up Joey Barton

Of course Danny is a decent player and only turns 24 next month,  and it was a bit of a surprise to see a report yesterday. that Newcastle are  ready to offer a new contract to the Shrewsbury-born former Liverpool midfielder.

The 23-year-old has started only 7 games this season and has 4 sub appearances for the Magpies, and that comes after  playing some of his best football  a year ago, in the run-in to Newcastle easily winning the Championship.

The news was in the News of the World, so that could be made up, and in any case Danny still has 15 months left of his four year deal at the club.

The news is that Newcastle want Guthrie as cover for Joey Barton, but from Danny’s viewpoint that means he will not get too many games on Tyneside, and he may well want to move on to get some playing time.

One option for Danny would be to resist signing a new contract at Newcastle,  so he would become a free agent next year, and increase his chances of getting a good deal at some other club.

There again, if he wants to stay at Newcastle, he may jump at the chance of a new deal to stay on Tyneside, and get the chance to play in front of 52,000 fans at the fabulous St. James’ Park – the Cathedral on the Hill – as the great Bobby Robson used to call it.

For the record, Danny has 81 appearances for Newcastle with 8 goals, and in total has 135 first class appearances with 8 goals. We also think Danny is a smashing lad.

Nottingham Forest have expressed an interest in the player, and even want to take him on loan before the end of the season,  but that would be stupid of Newcastle,  to leave an already small squad even smaller.

But the club have done things as daft as that in the past of course.

• Lynxie

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Going I hope. he is not good enough. Championship player in the wrong division.

First for Lynxie?

• clinta2

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

I doubt this is true. Wasn’t Pardew saying just the other day that they’d put hold (players and club) on all contract talks, as survivals priority number 1.

I also think Dannys not good enough week in and out for Newcastle. Well… perhaps good enough to make the current squad, but we need better if we are to progress.

Yes he did well in the Championship, but thats a completely different story and even with regular injuries across our midfield he hasn’t had a look in recently.

However, I think the club will keep him as a squad player if we cannot get in a few more midfield players with a bit more talent in the summer. If we do sign up a couple of decent buys, I think he’ll be on his way.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

I asked a couple of days ago what compensation would be due if pardwho was sacked – the only answer was nil because he is on a strict monthly contract based on bonuses
    can any one confirm the situation?

• clinta2

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:51 AM

@ Lynxie, yes he did well in the Championship, but while I don;t think he’s great I’d say he could do a decent enough job in the lower end of the PL. Admittedly were NUFC are, but I’m ambitious, lol! I think the likes of wolves, etc would go in for him.

• supermacnumber9

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM

again, I have been trying to find out if there is a clause in Ireland’s loan deal preventing him playing against villa – this is a common practice and it may leave us gutted if he is at last fit to play but can’t!

• clinta2

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM

@ supermac I can’t see MA sacking his man Pardew, but then yes stranger things have happened.

He was his guy though and I think he’ll back him for longer than many would. That said, I don’t mean to imply I think he should be sacked, because I don’t think that!

• Stuart

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Sacking AP would be a terrible idea imo.

We’ve been through enough managers since MA bought the club, the players will be sick of the constant managerial changes, and so am I to be honest.

If we sack AP the fact controller isnt suddenly going to hire a top class manager. It will be someone on the same level as AP.

Then of course theres the bedding in period where he gets the squad playing the way he wants.

I seem to remember one Alan Shearer coming in with 8 games to go and us getting relegated.

I’ll stick with AP thanks.

• Stuart

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

*fat controller

• solano

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Stuart….that’s twice in the last week you have been on the mark!
    ……I thought your typo was very funny and you shouldn’t have corrected it……the “fact” controller is spot on for MA …bills-son and the rest of the admirer’s club afterall believe anthing that the club releases without engaging any thought process to assess whether it’s true……

• Lynxie

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Lets get one thing straight. Alan Shearer did not get NUFC relegated. 38 games of utter dross by a bunch of mercenaries who could not give a toss, managerial turmoil, and cleless leadership from the very top. Thats what got us relegated. the sad thing is, 20 months on, We have not learned a thing.
    We got rid of the mercenaries, and we can only hope that our currnet squad have got more moral fibre than Owen, Martins, Duff and co.
    I think they do, and we will limp to safety. God please let it be so.

• Stuart

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Lynxie,

Dont get me wrong, im not blaming shearer. Im blaming the fact that he only got 8 games to try and save us.

• Lynxie

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Sorry Stuart, picked you up totally wrong, apologies.

• Brutooon

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

i am a good fan of him, he is a good young player but i dont think he progress as well as he should

• BeeGuy

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM

With Tiote out for 2 games, Guthrie could get his chance. But him being on would make an incredibly slow midfield. Just the kind of situation an opportunist team like Wolves would be looking to exploit. It would do my heart a world of good to hear Kadar or Gosling or Ireland was healthy and could play with pace.

• geoff777

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Guthrie’s a good player. Are we going to sell him and replace him with someone better?
    If so how much would a premiership quality player better than Guthrie cost?

I’d say give him a 5 year contract, his best years are to come. He does a job. He’s settled on Tyneside. Never causes problems. Plus his transfer price will only go up. No brainer?

Cue Llambias to loan him out then sell him!

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Hopefully going, just not the required quality .