Phil Airey Living The Dream At Newcastle – Oh No!

Phil Airey is a very good player and at 19 he is 34 months younger than Andy Carroll – almost three years younger than the Liverpool striker.

Phil Airey – very good local striker

So when we are talking about young Phil, who of course was born north of Newcastle in the sea-side town of Amble, we have to remember what Andy was doing three years ago for Newcastle – not much.

The young striker who stands 6′ tall, which is  the same height as a certain Alan Shearer, now has 7 goals for the Newcastle Reserve side, after scoring another goal in the 4-2 defeat to a strong West Ham United side at Upton Park last week.

Phil made his first team debut for Newcastle in the unfortunate game at Stevenage in January, when the lads were embarrassed 3-1, and Phil is one of the many very good young lads coming through at the  Tyneside club.

We saw 19 year Shane Ferguson put in a very promising display on Saturday and certainly the TV commentators thought he looked just great, and was our Man of the Match quite easily at Stoke, with a massive 75% of the vote.

Is it just me, or did he look like a young George Best – OK it’s just me then. 😀

Shane is just four months older than Phil, and looks like he is ready to play in the first team – somewhere – and we’d love to see him out on the left wing – he seems to have far too much creativity to be left-back.

And of course Shane came close to scoring a sensational goal in the second half, when he beat two (or was it three) players along the byline, before cutting back but shooting straight at the goalkeeper, with his right foot.

Phil Airey has been told by the manager to show him what he can do, and has been encouraged by the possibility of getting some run-outs for the first team before the end of the season.

It could be that next season Pardew will send the lad out on loan, and he will almost certianly come through a lot quicker, as we are seeing with young right back James Tavernier at Gateshead (17 appearances) and Ryan Donaldson at Hartlepool (5 appearances), who are coming on big time on loan this year.

Airey has enjoyed working alongside experience strikers at Newcastle:

“It’s great working with people like Shola Ameobi and Peter Lovenkrands,” “They have great movement, and you can only learn from them.” “They have great intelligence on the ball, and you have to learn that from them as a young player.”

And of course, being a local lad, he is excited about playing for the only side he has ever supported, and while he’s at Newcastle through the end of this season, as we’ve said he he may well go out on loan next season to get first team games:

“I’m a born-and-bred Newcastle fan, and have lived here all my life,” “I’m living the dream, but I’ll keep on working hard.”

“I’m stopping here until the end of the season, and next season we’ll see what happens.”

“You just never know what is round the corner with injuries. So I’ll wait and see.”

Of course I really wish Phil hadn’t said he is living his dream at Newcastle – because we don’t want to see him at Chelsea or some other big club in three years time – living another  dream which gives him a lot more money.

The Newcastle Reserve side will play Manchester United this afternoon in a behind the scenes game at the Benton training ground, and Phil is expected to play, as will Steven Taylor and Tim Krul, to give them some much needed match practice.

• Brutooon

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM

dont care how much we got those good youngsters, all i care are POINTS

Points that save from relegation

• BeeGuy

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I don’t know what instructions Ferguson had Saturday. but he sure spent lots of time hugging the sideline. He was creative on offense, but his defending was just a demonstration of guessing about what to do. At this stage of the season and his career, I don’t see him being the savior of PL status, that is way too much to ask of the lad. But if he is on the pitch, he needs to do a complete job. If he can only do it on the left side, then Jonas needs to take the right side (and stay over there) and give NUFC some push from the right that has been missing all year.

• geoff777

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I do care about the youngsters coming through if the greedy idiots in charge stop selling them we could have a fantastic team in 2-3 years.

There are at least fivc who look like they will make it in the EPL in the near future.

Still angry about January .. the greedy, shortsighted clueless fools.

Get Out Of Our Club!

• jimiley

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Living the dream? Shagging and on the piss on the quayside? Or is he actually living in dreamland when he thinks Stroller and Lovver have great movement. Kiss the badge son.

• Sav

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Bigging up Airey has probably as much to do with putting pressure on Ranger as anything else. we’ve had senior players praising him and sounding warnings to him. He’s been played, he’s been left out. Get the kid some counselling and get him playing. We are running,out of options since the Grasper Twins sold Carroll.
    Is it just me or does Carroll look out of place alongside Suarez and Meirelles? Ironically our ‘blunt instrument’ style of play seemed to suit him better than Liverpool’s slicker stuff. Any bets we will buy him back for £15 million in 12 months time?

• ballerfan2

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Sav – Can’t say I’ve been much aware of “Liverpool’s slicker” stuff this season. I think they have looked very ordinary and since Dalglish’s return have looked little different but have had huge bundles of luck – just look at yesterday. It pains me to say it but Sunderland were way on top before the linesman decided to gift Liverpool the pen. As for Ferguson reminding our blogmeister of Georgie Best, I actually thought he looked more like Gareth Bale on that run ….. or was it just me?

• Nathan

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Why is there a picture of your cat at the side…?

• jimiley

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Sav,
    Liverpool’s slicker style of play is called football. We used to play it in the 90s and first part of this century. Our blunt stuff is called headball. Carroll will never fit into a footballing club like Arsenal or Barcelona because they play90% on the deck and carroll does not have the footballing skills.

• Sav

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:19 AM

I thought that was the point I just made…. But thanks for repeating it. And ballerfan, it pains me to say this, too, but Liverpool (even though they have had a poor season by their standards) are still a far better footballing side than we are.
    I expect someone will come on and tell me I should just haad me gob and support our lads.
    I never can understand that, the admonishment that equates supporting the team with keeping your mouth shut or switching off any critical faculties. as if you could. And as if years and years of watching football does not make most people fairly decent judges. If yopu spend this long studying anything with this sort of intensity you are bound to pick up some knowledge.

• Lynxie

Mar 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Very worrying terminology and turn of phrase:

Other players who have ‘lived the dream’ include Kieron Dyer, Elena Marcelino, Silvio Maric, Patrick Kluivert, Shola Ameobi (unfortunately he lives IN a dream half the time) etc etc .
    I would much ratehr hear the lad say that ‘his job is a dream come true, and hopefully I can be everything I want to be, and do it in a black and white shirt’.
    FFS even Carroll kissed the badge till he saw the size of a fat scouse paypacket.