What The Heck Happened – Pardew Asks The Questions

Stoke had their biggest win ever in the Premier League on Saturday, thanks to Newcastle gifting them a number of goals, with some schoolboy defending.

Steve Harper – schoolboy mistake on Saturday

Now Newcastle have taken only a solitary point from their previous 3 games, all of which they had hoped to win, and are now a slim 4 points above the relegation zone.

And of course midfielder Cheick Tiote managed to pick up his 10th yellow card of the season, which means he will now miss the next two league games, and Newcastle keep shooting themselves in the foot.

The next game is against Wolves at home in two weeks time, and if we lose that game then some very noisy alarm bells will be going off on Tyneside – be sure of that.

Alan Pardew told the local Newcastle press today:

“It’s now about looking at each other in the eye.” “We have to accept the results we’ve had. All we can do is to make sure we’re right for Wolves, and that we can put our best possible team out.”

“Our medical team need to work hard, and the coaching team need to work hard to get that win.”

Every single one of the four goals Newcastle conceded could have been prevented with better defending, and the game was killed off in the first few minutes of the second half.

Steve Harper was caught in possession when he should have just kicked the ball away first time, and then Danny Higginbotham scored with a bullet of a free kick,  but it went straight  through the Newcastle wall, as our  players seemed to take cover.

I showed the goal to my wife, who knows nothing at all about football,  and I said look at those players protecting themselves – and she said – well they would have been hurt otherwise.

Yes, and it seems that’s exactly what some of the Newcastle players thought too. 😀

Alan continued:

“It was hugely disappointing in terms of the scoreline,” “It flattered Stoke, if I’m being totally honest.”

“The first five minutes of the second half put a bad reflection on the game. When we conceded those two goals, that’s where the game was lost.”

“In the first half, we looked like a team that was comfortable with what we were doing.” “We were defending the set plays well, and we dealt with the long throw from Rory Delap.

“We did a lot of things really well, but you can’t start a half of football the way we did.” “That’s something we are going to have to address going forward, because they caught us cold. You just can’t do that in the Premier League.”

It’s a game and a result we’d like to forget as soon as possible,  and it’s a pity we didn’t have a game in midweek – to help us get over it.

But the players now owe the Newcastle fans an honest and decent display against Wolves, and the situation is nothing that a win against Wolves wont correct fairly quickly.

• roy cropper

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM

he could talk a glass eye to sleep – giz’a shout in a fortnight’s time.

zzzzzzzzz

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

@1 Problem is, Roy, he sends the starting XI asleep as well….

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM

..and the situation is nothing that a win against Wolves wont correct fairly quickly. Ed

That is perhaps the most ludicrous comment ever published on here – and that takes some doing. Beating Wolves will NOT put things right, just like beating Birmingham didn’t either. Wake up, this IS a crisis!!

• Davies

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Hey Spotlight Kid; if you don’t like the blog, don’t read it.

A win against Wolves would actually fix quite a lot. It could, potentially put us back in 9th (above Sunderland) and leave a gap of 7 points between us and the drop zone. We’d be on 39 points with 7 games left to play.

I think we’ll stay up this season. It’s still possible that we do what we did two years ago, but I just don’t see it. Truthfully, I think there’s been some complacency with both the squad and the management and I think (hope) Saturday’s result will knock that into touch.

• lloydie780

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Relax. . .bad result (again). . .which looking at the gane we didn’t deserve to lose soooo badly, we have been unlucky. . . injuries HAVEN’T helped at all. But we are not in a crisis, when its the last game and we need a certain result to survive then it’s a crisis, we aint in a good position or good form, but let’s face it. . . could be ALOT worse. Need to get behind the lads and be a twelth man which i think we haven’t been as this season unlike others, everyone has a part to play. Let’s stay cool and wait and see where we are with three games to go before panicking.

• lloydie780

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM

@ Davies. . .well said

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Spotlight Kid, I’m so pleased that you don’t play or manage NUFC. You are a defeatist of the worst kind as you try to bring others down to.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:30 PM

What happened ?
    He sent out a bad team selection to play a tactical game they did`nt have a clue about.
    What was Campbell doing out there when Taylor was available ?
    What was the three centerbacks about ?
    Pardew played Sol because he thought he was more dominant in the air (Stoke having big guys up front) fact is Simpson Taylor Collo and Jose are a pretty solid back four.
    Too bad we did`nt get a fill in player for Jose during the last window, because the kid Ferguson
    although decent as a winger plays matador defense and can`t fill the role.
    Both Lovenkrands and Shola went missing, we need Best, he has a nose for goals and works hard for the side.
    Unfortunately niether Joey or Nolan had particularly good games and Tiote received an undeserved yellow card.
    But he has to cut down on cards, he`s no good to us as a spectator.
    But in general due to tactical confusion, no one had a particularly good game, lets hope the tactical experimentation ends here.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Davies

Guys entitled to an opinion, just like you .
    What kind of blog would this be if we all agreed, the answer is boring.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM

chuck, Ha ha. Have you read Spotlight Kid’s remarks when someone disagrees with him? Simple abuse.

• BergenVikingToon85

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM

how good is frasier forster really? i have never seen him play.. anyone got a clue?

• BiffBaffBoff

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM

This isnt the first time we’ve been caught cold in the opening stages of a game under Pardew. You have to start asking questions about that. Against Man City we were down 2 goals in 5 minutes, against Arsenal we were down 4 goals in 26 minutes (Ok we came back in that game but you still have to wonder why we started to slowly) and now against Stoke we effectively lost the game in the opening 5 minutes of the second half.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Geordie Deuchlander
    Do you mean he says stuff like,
    “You are a defeatist of the worst kind as you try to bring others down to….”

• thepict

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I believe we will beat Wolves. We are not going down. Can we please have some optimism, instead of being so pessimistic.
    Surely we can’t play as bad as we did on Saturday. The team will want a good result. let’s get behind them.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM

chuck, No m8. More like Idiots, Morons, Stupid. More in the direction of the state of a persons mental stability when they have the cheek to disagree with him.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Instead of optimism or pessimism, how bout a dose of reality ?

• MacToon

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Pardew could look in the mirror for the answer.

He’s been found to be Ashley’s (lying) mouthpiece which is one thing but if he doesn’t come up with performances from the team and/or results then he’s gonna be in for a rough ride from the fans.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Geordie Deuchlander
    Hmm ! you sure your not confusing me with the spotlight kid, sounds like terms i nomally use.

• AndyE93

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM

@ whoever was asking how good Forster is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n2chKviCVQ
    I’ve watched him pretty reguarly as my second team are celtic and he has improved as the season has went on but very much like Krul doesn’t demand his box enough for my liking. Tends to punch things away but like I say he has made big improvements since the start of the year. Kicking could do with a bit of work but good solid keeper nonetheless

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM

chuck, there is a few, but I have no intentions of going to the archives to find out who said what. It’s not my job to police here for abuse. It’s Ed’s job to keep his eye out for abuse and ban those who do abuse. Pity he doesn’t do it.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Why spoil the fun, perhaps you have been in Deuchland too long, where people stand at red lights even though there`s no traffick for miles in either direction.

• lewman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

he does gg, remember cheick tiotes back pocket, he got banned if i remember rightly.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I got into that habit with my son and can’t break it now. Give it 10 years and you’ll wish you had waited at that red light. When more cars are electric and you can’t hear them coming. Oh and bye the way it’s Deutschland.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

lewman, think that he was scum. Surprised that Dafty still gets on here.

• stuart no9

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:26 PM

” it flattered stoke if im totally honest” totally honest? now theres a first! ” the medical staff need to work hard , the coaching staff need to work hard” thats good, but is there any chance that you could perhaps put a shift in yourself mr partridge, ? maybe a little home work on the oppsition, an hour when you come out the casino should do it

• lewman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

daffy is one of the scum but i suppose he is always polite and relatively unbiased for a mackem apart from when we play them. so i suppose he has never given ed a reason to ban him.

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

lewman, yeah your right, Daffy’s ok…

… for a scum and he only takes the pee when we lose, So it could be becoming habitual for him now. 🙁

• BergenVikingToon85

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:37 PM

AndyE93

Thnx. He is a giant young man is all i know:)

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM

GeordieGerman@10 & 15

Unlike many on here I have never insulted, abused or disrespected any person on this blog at any time – even when my own opinion has been howled down. I have disagreed, as is my right as a participant, but always welcome the cut and thrust of open debate.

As for your contention @15 I have never used the terms ‘Idiots’, ‘Morons’ or ‘Stupid’ about any other person on this blog. I don’t need to as I like to think I have the necessary vocabulary to express my point and avoid resorting to unwarranted abuse. Apart from anything else, I am prepared to stand or fall by the opinions I hold – most of which have come to pass despite the disagreement of other respondents.

Your comments are out of order as well as being simply untrue. Please retract them immediately. Slag off my views, GG, by all means, but never misrepresent me.

• BergenVikingToon85

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

whats up with this beef? lol:)

• GeordieGerman

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Spotlight Kid, Then I openly apologise for pointing the finger at the wrong person.

• Marty-Toon

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Here`s a good vid on Fraser while he was at Norwich.Good agile keeper for his size.

• BergenVikingToon85

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM

looks exciting:)

• supermacnumber9

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM

a lot of hanbagging going on tonight – how about calling it quits, we all get excited and say a bit more than we really intend – but supporting NUFC would try the patience and temper of a saint.
    so quits?
    we are the NUFC, lets discuss our opinions – lets face it arabs are dieing for the right to criticise who they want!

I love NUFC
    I gave pardew what I think was his due chance and I think he has failed – my opinion!
    I think we are average, we will stay up and that will be a success for season one back in the PL
    I think we need better players
    I don’t realy care who leaves providing we get a good replacement
    I don’t like Ashley or his style – but I think he saved the club and is building something good
    I want to win the FA cup next year
    I thought Carroll had a good game yesterday, I wish him well, and I think he was vastly over priced

HWTL

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Geordie Deutschland
    See what happens, poor old Spolight is innocent obviously a case of mistaken identity.
    Anyone have any idea what the Bergen Viking is on about ?
    Doubt if i got another ten years left, so forgive me if i not only cross at the green but also in between.
    And calm down Spotlight it`s not that serious, just bullsh*t for the most part.

• Thump

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I think you should go back a few days and read your comments to me, Spotlight. You do indeed get very aggressive and defensive when somebody dares question your opinion. “Ashley and Pardew sympathest” were the words used on match day towards me, either by you or chuck, definitely one of you.

So yes, GG is spot on with his comments. The unfortunate thing is that this has been going on for a long time. Children getting upset because a logical counter argument has been presented – at least that’s how I see it.

And supermac is right. We ALL need to put our handbags down and support the team. The Special One isn’t going to come to us and truth is, Pardew is the best we’re going to get. Managers don’t want to come because they have such a short career here. Is he ideal? No, but he’s OUR manager and I will support him because he is running OUR team.

We can’t be selective, if he is the one charged with getting the job done, then lets make it easier for him and get behind the lads.

• Thump

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM

And yeah, chuck. Fairly certain Bergen is Tiotès back pocket on a new account.

Let’s start a count down for ban!

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Supermacnumber9

Hey them Arabs, looks like the die has in fact been cast especially in Libya, it`s Gadhafi vs. the US and NATO and if I were a betting man I know who I would put my money on.
    Or have i got the wrong dieing, are they developing new colors, I know Gadhafi is into fashion in a big way and i doubt he would take too kindly to criticism of his sense of color co-ordinating.
    Though i cant say i cared for his recent rust colored robe.
    But then this stuff is really outta my league.

• chuck

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Thump
    Carefull ! we have already had one case of mistaken identity, especially as both Spotlight and myself are suspects, we dont need any more mea culpas by the blog police, one a day is quite sufficient thanks.

• Spotlight Kid

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM

GG @ 31

OK, GG, accepted, no probs.

BTW, Thump, I don’t mind being slagged off for my viewpoint. If I did I wouldn’t post here, now would I? So if someone called me a “Pardew derider” or “Hoots sympathiser” on account of these views, t’ain’t something for me to complain about, as I am – and with good cause imho!!