The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shane Ferguson Has Bright Future On Tyneside

12:51 pm, Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011 by Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

The only positive thing coming out of the 4-0 thrashing at Stoke City, was the very promising performance of 19 year-old Irishman Shane Ferguson.

Baby-faced Shane Ferguson – what what talent!!

And Shane has come out today and said his two appearances in the last two Newcastle matches,  have only made him more determined than ever,  to get more playing time for the Magpies this season.

If Jose Enrique is not absolutely 100% fit – the club probably needs to make that he’s 120% fit just to make sure – then it’s almost a certainty that Alan Pardew will put his faith in this talented lad for the Wolves game, and he will certainly not let the side down, that’s for sure.

The Northern Ireland International talked to the Evening  Chronicle today:

“I know I can do that and it is something in my locker.” “I will get up and support the midfield all the time. My aim is to get in as many crosses and shots as I can.”

“We’ll be training hard from now on in until the Wolves match and hopefully we’ll get the win we need.” “Hopefully I will be involved, and if I get the nod, I’m ready.”

And Shane had a vintage George Best type run  (or should that be Lionel Messi these days) along the bye-line, where he beat three Stoke defenders, before turning outside, and then hit a right foot shot straight at the goalkeeper – it would have been a fabulous goal.

Shane talked about that run:

“It just opened up for me.” “The first man came at me, I didn’t see him until later, and then skipped past him and another man.” “The next thing the goal was right in front of me and I just couldn’t catch it properly.” “I will take my chance next time.”

“Everybody was disappointed because of the sloppy goals we conceded.” “They just took their chances whenever they got them.” “We had a lot of possession but didn’t take our chances. We were just unlucky.” “It’s wasn’t the best atmosphere in there.”

“But we have to pick ourselves up and keep going in the final eight games.”

It could be touch and go whether Jose will make it for the next game, and last the whole game too, although at the moment it looks like the Spaniard should be fit for Wolves, according to Alan Pardew.

But if he’s not, or if  Jose’s hamstring tightens up during the game, Shane will find himself with another appearance for the Magpies this season.

Shane continued:

“We’ll just have to see.” “I was always ready because I knew that Jose was coming back from injury.”

“But I knew he could be struggling, and after 20 minutes I got my chance.” “If I get another one, I’ll take it.”

For the record Shane has 5 appearances for the Magpies so far and …..no goals although he did go close last Saturday.

Tags: Newcastle News · Shane Ferguson · Transfer News and Rumours

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 Shot Bru // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:02 PM

His defensive positioning was a little shaky at times on saturday (too much ball watching) and was covered by Colo and Nolan on a couple of occassions…however he will improve that part of his game with experience. Looks a very promising player, just needs to keep eating his porridge and build up some strength in those legs of his before he is sold off to the highest bidder next year.

• 2 G // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I have to agree with some of the posts from the last few days that this lad would be better playing as a winger than a defender mind.

• 3 Angryman the Angry fan // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

The lad IS a winger. I watched him the reserves a few times and he has loads of promise. He can potentially become a great player, but as long as the Fat Maggot owns the club, we will get a couple fo years out of him and he’ll be sold…..

• 4 G // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Not been to see the reserves for a good while now, can’t say I watched him play there. He any good playing down the wing then Angry?

• 5 stevep // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:25 PM

He’s a natural left winger, to lightweight for LB position, best option would be to move Jonas to the right and play Fergie on the left

• 6 chuck // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yeah he`s a prospect ok !
    But not as a defender, no way !
    The kid should be on the left wing, where he has played for most of his short career, he was converted to the LB role and having watched him play there, it`s obvious he just cant cut it.
    Matador defense !
    He also has to work on his upper body strength, or get pushed around.
    Well those are the negatives, on the other hand he has great ball skills which allow him to take on defenders, something this side had lacked untill we got Ben Arfa and Ireland and between the three we may get some entertaining and productive football in our future.
    If we need a LB we should try and work a deal with Celtic, Forster and cash for Izaguirre ?

• 7 Angryman the Angry fan // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM

G
    Aye.
    Loves to take people on. Thats what he is good at. Though the worry is sometimes his end product is debateable, but no worse than what we have from the wings as is.
    I would advocate giving the right wing role to gutti and giving the lad a chance on the left in front of Jose. Them 2 going forward would terrorise any right back in this league……

• 8 Angryman the Angry fan // Mar 22, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Reeet off on the piiste!!
    Traaar for noooo

• 9 BergenVikingToon85 // Mar 22, 2011 at 2:02 PM

whats up with vukcic?? thought he was comming through this season..

• 10 Tramp // Mar 22, 2011 at 2:05 PM

The lad is quality. Has a lot to learn defensively mind!

• 11 Anis // Mar 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I know this is way off topic but, i really want a Newcastle United home jersey (2009/2010 Season, Size: S/M, half sleeve). Can anyone please suggest me or help me find a US site that sells one?
    The site must be/ship from US because i can only receive good shipped from the US ( goods shipped from other countries isn’t covered from the services that i’m using)

and yeah, Shane Ferguson, even now, he is premier league quality, should play in place of Jonas, but since Jose is currently injured he will end up playing full back instead this season.

• 12 davybtoon // Mar 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

fergie is a winger end of n thats were he shud play 19 year old n the best player on the pitch on sat agree with above jonas shud be moved to ryt wing and fergie on the left

• 13 NUFC STEVE // Mar 22, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Looks like another Coleman !!!does anyone think Phil airey and haris vuckic deserve a chance instead of kuqi,lovenkrands, and best????

• 14 Nufc-83 // Mar 22, 2011 at 10:03 PM

No because vuckic is still injured i think and even if he isnt whenever he gets near the 1st team his bottle has gone and he cant make a 5 yd pass the lad needs to go out on loan and play regular competative football before getting close to our 1st team

• 15 NUFC STEVE // Mar 22, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Don’t agree I think vuckic will be a better player than ranger or others there..ac Milan and real are looking for him

• 16 Brutooon // Mar 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM

Shane Ferguson is not a LB. He is a natual left winger…..

previous post: Bayern Munich Ready to Bid £13.5M For Newcastle Player